The Student Room Group

Any A* Edexcel Spanish GCSE student advice?

Does anyone here who has obtained a great score of A* in Spanish for the Edexcel board have any advice for the last week of revision till it?

Anything will be much appreciated :smile:
I am also doing Spanish GCSE but with AQA. I am also a native Spanish speaker and the best advice I can give you is to familiarise with the cognates between English and Spanish. Practise as many listening and past papers as you possibly can and if at any point in the exam you don't get a word DO NOT panic! Try to pick a keyword on the second repeat and again try and think of any word that sound like English eg: "viaje" sounds like "voyage" which means to go on a trip. As for the reading try to first read small and easy texts in Spanish and challenge yourself to read a newspaper article in Spanish once you are confident enough ( make it to be fast though haha). Best of luck!
Make flashcards for all the vocabulary, there will be a vocabulary list on your exam board / edexel spanish specification or in your revision guide
Reply 3
Original post by namelessfeelsx
I am also doing Spanish GCSE but with AQA. I am also a native Spanish speaker and the best advice I can give you is to familiarise with the cognates between English and Spanish. Practise as many listening and past papers as you possibly can and if at any point in the exam you don't get a word DO NOT panic! Try to pick a keyword on the second repeat and again try and think of any word that sound like English eg: "viaje" sounds like "voyage" which means to go on a trip. As for the reading try to first read small and easy texts in Spanish and challenge yourself to read a newspaper article in Spanish once you are confident enough ( make it to be fast though haha). Best of luck!

Thank you so much for the advice! :smile:

As for past papers, I have done all of them to a point I can recall the answers xD So I can't really redo them in that sense. Yes, I am trying to learn as much vocab as possible and try and find links to learn them quicker. For some questions;however, I have to sort of educationally guess and I am not sure where that it just me not knowing enough vocab or if that happens to everyone..any advice on how to tackle the last questions where this may happen? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by XxxvatxxX
Thank you so much for the advice! :smile:

As for past papers, I have done all of them to a point I can recall the answers xD So I can't really redo them in that sense. Yes, I am trying to learn as much vocab as possible and try and find links to learn them quicker. For some questions;however, I have to sort of educationally guess and I am not sure where that it just me not knowing enough vocab or if that happens to everyone..any advice on how to tackle the last questions where this may happen? :smile:

How long did it take you to do all the past papers??
Reply 5
Original post by dx31
How long did it take you to do all the past papers??

Worked through them slowly for a month almost
Reply 6
Worked through them slowly for a month almost

For spanish what have you revised and how? I have the same edexcel exam as you :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by dx31
For spanish what have you revised and how? I have the same edexcel exam as you :smile:

Oh yay! :smile: Our exams are this Friday and I feel like I'm not prepared xD

Basically I am going through the core vocab sheets from Edexcel and am now just trying to memorise the vocab. I will occasionally go back to the past papers and see the longer comprehensions questions and try translate it into English too.

How's your revision going?
Reply 8
Oh yay! :smile: Our exams are this Friday and I feel like I'm not prepared xD

Basically I am going through the core vocab sheets from Edexcel and am now just trying to memorise the vocab. I will occasionally go back to the past papers and see the longer comprehensions questions and try translate it into English too.

How's your revision going?

Yeah same! I'm just scared for the listening, and i feel like i haven't done enough past papers (I've done two)
Reply 9
Original post by dx31
Yeah same! I'm just scared for the listening, and i feel like i haven't done enough past papers (I've done two)

SAME! I cannot with the listening as it just makes me anxious thinking I got two shots to listen to what they are saying correctly or else I can't properly do that question. Has your teacher predicted any topics for the tests/ any that have appeared regularly? My school has just told us to revise everything, which I kind of have,but I wanna see if you can pinpoint anything or if that is never gonna happen. :smile:
Reply 10
SAME! I cannot with the listening as it just makes me anxious thinking I got two shots to listen to what they are saying correctly or else I can't properly do that question. Has your teacher predicted any topics for the tests/ any that have appeared regularly? My school has just told us to revise everything, which I kind of have,but I wanna see if you can pinpoint anything or if that is never gonna happen. :smile:

No sorry my teacher didn't say anything like that but i hope town is one of the options for the 20 marker! :smile: I'm so bad at listening!! The beginning is fine but the ENDD when you have to write your own stuff, i'm terrible at that :frown:
Reply 11
Original post by dx31
No sorry my teacher didn't say anything like that but i hope town is one of the options for the 20 marker! :smile: I'm so bad at listening!! The beginning is fine but the ENDD when you have to write your own stuff, i'm terrible at that :frown:

Omgg same and because of my panic, I forget to listen properly and don't get anything down :frown: Hopefully this practice pays off in the end and get an A* overall, good luck to you too :smile: You will do great!
Reply 12
Omgg same and because of my panic, I forget to listen properly and don't get anything down :frown: Hopefully this practice pays off in the end and get an A* overall, good luck to you too :smile: You will do great!

Hopefully, you too!! And did you find that you got better at the listenings as you did more?
Reply 13
Original post by dx31
Hopefully, you too!! And did you find that you got better at the listenings as you did more?

Yeah, I think I did, I just hope a similar style is given in the exam (and hopefully vocab I have learnt! xD)
I did iGCSE Spanish with Edexcel.

For longer writing tasks make sure to use long sentences and as many tenses as possible. Simple past/present/future won't get you far you must use different forms of each tense i.e preterite, future, conditional etc... to access more marks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending