The Student Room Group

Too short essay

Hi,

It is one week since I submitted my coursework, and I found out today that Word included my footnotes in the word-limit. Is there any chance I can add the words missing by asking my lecturer?

I´m so sad that this will ruin my overall grade. I´m way under the word limit..
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
You may be able to resubmit an updated version of the assignment if you're using turnitin or similar, but the only person who can advise you is your lecturer as they will know the specific rules in this case.
Reply 2
Original post by A.Poet
You may be able to resubmit an updated version of the assignment if you're using turnitin or similar, but the only person who can advise you is your lecturer as they will know the specific rules in this case.

Hi,

I´m just so afraid that he will not let me do it, and then I´m just making him aware of it..

Thank you for answering!
Reply 3
Original post by enir12
Hi,

It is one week since I submitted my coursework, and I found out today that Word included my footnotes in the word-limit. Is there any chance I can add the words missing by asking my lecturer?

I´m so sad that this will ruin my overall grade. I´m way under the word limit..

How? Word only counts the numbering, not whatever is included in the footing itself. So, if you used 44 footnotes, that would be 44 words.

Next time, always place footnotes after punctuation marks, so that word will not count it as a word.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by enir12
Hi,

I´m just so afraid that he will not let me do it, and then I´m just making him aware of it..

Thank you for answering!

Your lecturer will be aware of it. From marking university essays myself, it's pretty easy to tell when something is under or over word count. By informing him now, you may at least have a chance to correct your error.
Reply 5
Original post by _Fergo
How? Word only counts the numbering, not whatever is included in the footing itself. So, if you used 44 footnotes, that would be 44 words.

Next time, always place footnotes after punctuation marks, so that word will not count it as a word.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually it did count all the footnotes as well, word for word..
Reply 6
Original post by enir12
Actually it did count all the footnotes as well, word for word..

Did you do it manually?

It really depends on the rules of your university. For us, it's game over after the deadline, but it may be different for your uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by A.Poet
Your lecturer will be aware of it. From marking university essays myself, it's pretty easy to tell when something is under or over word count. By informing him now, you may at least have a chance to correct your error.

Spoiler

Reply 8
Original post by _Fergo
Did you do it manually?

It really depends on the rules of your university. For us, it's game over after the deadline, but it may be different for your uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Turnitin.
Reply 9
Original post by enir12

Spoiler

Again, being from a different discipline, I can't give a specific answer, only your university can. My department allows resubmission and we do not penalise whatsoever provided that the resubmission comes in before the deadline for the assignment. I assume in this case that you should just be able to add what is missing and it'll be fine provided it's resubmitted before the deadline, but you should check with your lecturer. It might also be worth consulting any course handbooks you might have as they'll generally contain information on issues such as this.
Reply 10
Original post by enir12
Turnitin.

No idea then. We're not allowed to use it.

Definitely ask your tutor. Nothing to lose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by A.Poet
Again, being from a different discipline, I can't give a specific answer, only your university can. My department allows resubmission and we do not penalise whatsoever provided that the resubmission comes in before the deadline for the assignment. I assume in this case that you should just be able to add what is missing and it'll be fine provided it's resubmitted before the deadline, but you should check with your lecturer. It might also be worth consulting any course handbooks you might have as they'll generally contain information on issues such as this.

Well, the deadline was 9 days ago. I just found out today that my Microsoft Word is stupid. We´re not gonna get the result before a 2 weeks time.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by enir12
Well, the deadline was 9 days ago. I just found out today that my Microsoft Word is stupid. We´re not gonna get the result before a 2 weeks time.

What would be the penalty for late submission and what's the penalty for going under the word count?
Reply 13
Original post by A.Poet
What would be the penalty for late submission and what's the penalty for going under the word count?

What do you mean? I did submit it on time.
Reply 14
Original post by enir12
What do you mean? I did submit it on time.

Yes, but a resubmission would be 9 or 10 days after the deadline, so class as late.
Reply 15
Original post by A.Poet
Yes, but a resubmission would be 9 or 10 days after the deadline, so class as late.

Okay. So what you´re saying is that it´s maybe better do not asking for resubmission?
Reply 16
Original post by enir12
Okay. So what you´re saying is that it´s maybe better do not asking for resubmission?

Yep, on the basis of the information you've given, I'd say not to bother. For my department, going under the word count sees a 5 mark deduction, but submitting late give a 5 mark deduction per day, so if your resubmission was 10 days after the deadline, you'd lost 50 marks. Far better to take a minor deduction to a much larger one and that assumes you even will be penalised for going under the word count. It's also worth bearing in mind that your lecturer may have already marked your essay, though he won't know this of course if your essays are anonymised, so you risk annoying your lecturer by making him mark your work twice effectively, the first your original piece, the second your resubmitted essay.
Reply 17
Sorry for coming to this chat late - just to help you out a little, form my experience, footntoes are supposed to be counted in your overall word count. In my undergrad, we didnt use footnotes, but i changed degree pathways for my masters and we have to include footnotes - it is a sucker for eating up words! But yeah, maybe your uni is the same? Hope everything is ok!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending