The Student Room Group

Bandwagon Leicester Thread I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
Only if you're a casual fan. I'd imagine it's pretty painful for a long time otherwise.

Nah, you take the relegation if you get the promotion challenges with it (promotion from the league you were relegated from anyway).

Though I suspect the grass is always greener and fans that go through that for a long time start saying they wouldn't mind being a boring side to follow, while fans of the likes of Arsenal yearn for the glory days if it means some lows.
Only if you're a casual fan. I'd imagine it's pretty painful for a long time otherwise.

Relegation is painful, but you really don't appreciate the highs properly unless you've been through the lows. Winning trophies is all the sweeter when you remember it wasn't all that long ago you were scraping to draws at home to crewe after Alan Sheehan got sent off.

Consistently finishing top 4, CL R16 and a few domestic trophies is hardly mediocrity. That would be finishing say 7th to 14th every season like most mid-table sides.

Mediocrity is relative tbf - if Huddersfield get promoted and cling on to a few midtable finishes then they're over-achieving for a club of their budget; if man city consistently finished fifth then that'd be mediocre for the quality of squad they have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
We'll ruin the coefficient they said...

Hope we get Atletico Madrid. Cheated out by them and blatant match-fixing in 1997. Time for revenge.

Atleti are literally the only side who won't play to your strengths. All the other sides will play with a high line looking for blood, Atleti have the same style but with better players and a better manager.
Shades of 1997. Only difference is it's them getting penalties that aren't rather than us being denied stone-wallers.
Defended really well and failed by a flat-pack **** who let Simone assemble his performance. Disgrace of a referee, but still in it.
Will be very difficult for Leicester to score against Madrid without conceding the away goal given the latter will most likely just sit back and protect their lead and counter where possible, Huth will also be a miss, he was immense tonight.
(edited 7 years ago)
Defensively Leicester were excellent but they need to be careful with their positioning I thought, Fuchs and Simpson were caught out high too much. However, Benny and Huth were fantastic and I would have taken 1-0 happily. Will be at KP on Tuesday and let's see if we can get a result, just hoping for another good performance, KP should be bouncing. I would have like to have seen Gray come on tonight but happy Ndidi and Vardy are not suspended.
Well that was some laughable refereeing...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well that was some laughable refereeing...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep the Stoke Arsenal game was just as bad too.

Something seriously needs to be done because the current state is unacceptable. The standard is awful but it's a crime to talk about it. Thought Schmeichel's interview post game was brilliant.
Ref got it right wrt the penalty. Not sure what else the ref did wrong?
Original post by shawn_o1
Ref got it right wrt the penalty. Not sure what else the ref did wrong?

Id argue against that - encroaching is the first offence. Complete cockup on silvas goal as well - blatant offside.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Id argue against that - encroaching is the first offence. Complete cockup on silvas goal as well - blatant offside.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think it should of been a penalty in the first place, replays show the foul was just outside the box. City should of had another penalty themselves.
To be fair Leicester/Vardy have had plenty of non-penalties in their time, so can't complain too much.
Perhaps Leicester won't finish in the bottom half of the table. Crazy how close 8th to 16th is (45 to 40 points).
Ending the match with two full backs and a cm-***-full back at cb, three wingers, a left back and a cb in midfield and a striker and a winger up front. 5 to 7 players out of position (depending on whether you count mahrez as a #10 and Musa as a centre forward). No-one does madness like Shakespeare.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Shame Mahrez wants to leave but not surprised whatsoever really. Like to see us get a decent fee for him. Will need a replacement Gray and Albrighton won't be sufficient tbh.
Original post by samiz20891
Shame Mahrez wants to leave but not surprised whatsoever really. Like to see us get a decent fee for him. Will need a replacement Gray and Albrighton won't be sufficient tbh.

How much of a fee do you think is realistic? I think he's still got 3 years left on his new contract he signed last summer but he's already gone public about making a move so you know he will force one by the end of the summer.

His stock has fallen since the title winning season so it can't be a high as the summer before?

£40mil?
How much of a fee do you think is realistic? I think he's still got 3 years left on his new contract he signed last summer but he's already gone public about making a move so you know he will force one by the end of the summer.

His stock has fallen since the title winning season so it can't be a high as the summer before?

£40mil?

When the likes of bolasie go for 30m, 45m minimum or he stays and either serves his contract or sulks with the ressies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When the likes of bolasie go for 30m, 45m minimum or he stays and either serves his contract or sulks with the ressies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea the market has gone a little crazy. Mahrez's agent is terrible if there isn't a release clause in there..

£40mil?

I think Leicester will play hard ball, but I think somewhere around 35 - 40 million will probably be about what Leicester will get. I think they must have promised him and maybe a couple others to stay for another season before he should leave as Shakespeare has mentioned that a couple of times that they must stay and can see Mahrez having a gentleman agreement for last season.
Rudkin has been poor for Leicester in the transfer market and negotiating deals, so I haven't got the greatest confidence in him but with Mahrez in contract, I only see him appealing to a few clubs and Monaco were apparently put off by his wages And price tag.

Interesting to see who they get to replace him as the transfers have always been hit and miss at Leicester especially the larger financial moves as with only Gray and Albrighton I don't think it will be sufficient.

Quick Reply

Latest