The Student Room Group

Getting a 2:2 first year?

How screwed in terms of life/placements/career if I get a 2:2 first year, my exams aren't done but I've had some bad modules and I fear I'll get a 2:2, could it make a difference if its a high 2:2 or is it all the same?

My coursework for my modules has been like:

Microbiology: 71% average
Plant Bio: 69%
Scientific Skills: 65%
Labs: 64.6%
Environmental Science: 58%
Human Physiology and Anatomy: 48%

Other than this one module, my work has been generally decent (maybe not the 58 but it was borderline) but this 48 is like the lowest I've received in anything and it's ruined a lot, I know I could've worked harder but it was one of the first courseworks I did and my feedback said I misinterpreted the question so I failed 2 parts (my part A in the anatomy coursework was like 70% but then I got like 20% in B and C).
Does your first year count towards your overall degree classification? In many degrees only the grades from the second and third year count, so this is worth checking. If it doesn't you have nothing to worry about life and career-wise, once you have graduated no one will care what your first year mark was.

Even if it does count you can easily pull yourself up in second and third year.
Reply 2
Original post by Find_elsewhere
Does your first year count towards your overall degree classification? In many degrees only the grades from the second and third year count, so this is worth checking. If it doesn't you have nothing to worry about life and career-wise, once you have graduated no one will care what your first year mark was.

Even if it does count you can easily pull yourself up in second and third year.

No it doesn't count but I want to do a placement and I've heard for postgrad or just graduate schemes they'll ask for my transcript with all my module grades.
Original post by Dinasaurus
No it doesn't count but I want to do a placement and I've heard for postgrad or just graduate schemes they'll ask for my transcript with all my module grades.

Well that's some good news then. Placements (to my knowledge) usually have applications and interviews too, so you'll have those as chances to prove yourself also. But honestly, if you can pull yourself up to a 1:1 by third year I seriously don't think you'll have anything to worry about with graduate and postgraduate stuff. If anything, it'll show you're determined, can work hard and persevere.

If you are really concerned, have a chat with your lecturer/ academic adviser, as they will have the most experience to give you a detailed answer for your field.

They're not going to take your 1st year grades into consideration. They're more concerned about your 2nd and 3rd year grades as that makes up your degree classification.

The main thing is, you're passing the 1st year that will help you to progress.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
How screwed in terms of life/placements/career if I get a 2:2 first year, my exams aren't done but I've had some bad modules and I fear I'll get a 2:2, could it make a difference if its a high 2:2 or is it all the same?

Other than this one module, my work has been generally decent (maybe not the 58 but it was borderline) but this 48 is like the lowest I've received in anything and it's ruined a lot, I know I could've worked harder but it was one of the first courseworks I did and my feedback said I misinterpreted the question so I failed 2 parts (my part A in the anatomy coursework was like 70% but then I got like 20% in B and C).

You're on 63%, have your exams been bad enough to pull that down below 60? My exams are worth 40% of the year (Biology as well), if yours are the same you'd need below 55% in them to get a 2.2.
Reply 6
Original post by difeo
You're on 63%, have your exams been bad enough to pull that down below 60? My exams are worth 40% of the year (Biology as well), if yours are the same you'd need below 55% in them to get a 2.2.

I don't think any have been bad but it's hard to tell, my exams are like 3 hours long and are in 3 sections so hard to get an overall idea.
i'm honestly at the stage where i'd take a 3rd. After getting 2:1 in my coursework my revision has just not gone well. Really hope it's as unimportant as people suggest.

Hey, :smile:

First year grades usually don't count towards your degree classification, so I don't think that you have much to worry about. The grades you have already achieved are pretty good so I think you'll probably average out at a 2:1 for this year anyway! As mentioned above, it will be your overall degree classification that employers will take into consideration, rather than singular modules or first year grades. Your second and third year will count towards your final grade, so keep focused throughout this time and I'm sure you'll graduate with a great degree!

Good Luck :biggrin:
Reply 9
Are you sure that Top unis like Cambridge ,oxford would not take first year result into their account if I have first in overall degree?
Original post by Ali861
Are you sure that Top unis like Cambridge ,oxford would not take first year result into their account if I have first in overall degree?

Yeah. Why penalise you for what you did 3 or 4 years ago when they can measure you on your performance now in much more relevant topics?
Does your first year count towards your final degree? The first year of my degree doesn't count as it's just to get everyone working at the same level. If that's the case then don't worry about your grades and just make sure you do more in the second year using the the feedback from first year to improve your work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending