The Student Room Group

6 mark science question helppppp

Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 19.14.01.png

thanks fellow matey/ g
Reply 1
Have you not learnt this? Think about the neurones and the pathway a message takes through the body so a response happens.
Reply 2
Remember, quality of written communication is assessed here, you cannot just bullet point in the exam.
Reply 3
it's pretty simple, the textbooks have the steps explained in detail.

Stimulus-receptor-CNS-neurone-effector i think??? but check just in case.
Hey, this video should help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=pseuwtPApXs
Try out his flashcards too, they're really good.
Reply 5
i was stuck at the part in the relay neurone

does the relay neurone take the impulse from one cns to another
its a reflex so the CNS isn't involved. It goes from the sensory neurone which synapses with the relay neurone, the electrical impulse passes through the relay neurone to the motor neurone where the impulse finally reaches the effector. This then pulls the finger away from the hot pan.
Reply 7
Original post by skrrraaaah
its a reflex so the CNS isn't involved. It goes from the sensory neurone which synapses with the relay neurone, the electrical impulse passes through the relay neurone to the motor neurone where the impulse finally reaches the effector. This then pulls the finger away from the hot pan.

why is it in my revision book
Reply 8
Stimuli-->Sensory neuronw-->Relay neuron-->Motor neuron-->Effector
This is the Reflex arc you are looking for skips the CNS for faster transmission to avoid any futher damage.
Reply 9
Original post by Shuj.T
Stimuli-->Sensory neuronw-->Relay neuron-->Motor neuron-->Effector
This is the Reflex arc you are looking for skips the CNS for faster transmission to avoid any futher damage.

doesn't the relay neurone send the impulse from one cns to another??!
Original post by ehruhure
doesn't the relay neurone send the impulse from one cns to another??!

The CNS is your spinal cord and brain - we only have one of these each, so we only have one CNS which means it's not possible for an impulse to be transmitted from one CNS to another. The relay neurone usually transmits an impulse from a sensory neurone to the CNS, but since this is a reflex arc, the CNS isn't involved
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by JustARandomer123
The CNS is your spinal cord and brain - we only have one of these each, so we only have one CNS which means it's not possible for an impulse to be transmitted from one CNS to another. But since this is a reflex arc, the CNS isn't involved

this is what my teacher told me:
receptor detects change.
impulse is sent to cns through the sensory neurone.
the impulse is sent from one cns(neurone) to another
motor takes the impulse from the ins to the effector.
reposes happens.
this is what my teacher told me:
receptor detects change.
impulse is sent to cns through the sensory neurone.
the impulse is sent from one cns(neurone) to another
motor takes the impulse from the ins to the effector.
reposes happens.

It's receptor --> sensory neurone --> relay neurone --> CNS --> motor neurone --> effector. In this case, there's no involvement of the CNS though, so it'll follow the same order, but it'll skip the CNS.
Reply 13
It's receptor --> sensory neurone --> relay neurone --> CNS --> motor neurone --> effector. In this case, there's no involvement of the CNS though, so it'll follow the same order, but it'll skip the CNS.

but why does it skip the cns

also in the exam were do i use what my teacher told me
but why does it skip the cns

also in the exam were do i use what my teacher told me

The point in a reflex arc is to have a fast response to a stimulus. If the impulse isn't sent to the CNS, it saves time and you end up responding to the stimulus faster. If I were you, I'd check your textbook and find a past paper question on it.
Reply 15
The point in a reflex arc is to have a fast response to a stimulus. If the impulse isn't sent to the CNS, it saves time and you end up responding to the stimulus faster. If I were you, I'd check your textbook and find a past paper question on it.

the mark scheme said that the sensory travels TO the CNs
so now I'm really confused
Reply 16
When the skin receptor cells are stumilated an electrical impulse travels along the sensory neurone to the CNS.When the impulse reaches a synapse between the sensory and relay neurone a chemical is released it diffuses across the synapse and than starts a new electiral impulse that travels along the relay neurone.After that the impulse crosses the synapse and than travels along the motor neurone to the effector.The effector is muscle in this case so it contracts and the person moves his hand.
(Garunteed 6 Marks)
Reply 17
Original post by mzt_56
when the skin receptor cells are stumilated an electrical impulse travels along the sensory neurone to the cns.when the impulse reaches a synapse between the sensory and relay neurone a chemical is released it diffuses across the synapse and than starts a new electiral impulse that travels along the relay neurone.after that the impulse crosses the synapse and than travels along the motor neurone to the effector.the effector is muscle in this case so it contracts and the person moves his hand.
(garunteed 6 marks)

you are a g bruva

safe
Reply 18
I made a mneumonic for this!!!!

Randy - RECEPTOR
Is - IMPULSES
So - SENSORY NEURONE
Small - SPINAL CORD/CNS
So - SYNAPSES
Randy - RELAY NEURONE
Makes - MOTOR NEURONE
Eggless - EFFECTOR
Muffins - MUSCLE MOVEMENT

It's silly and doesn't make sense but my friends all use it, and it gets you all the marks!! :smile: good luck xxx

Quick Reply

Latest