The Student Room Group

I'm an Apprentice - AMA

I have been for almost a year now.

If you want to know anything about my academic history, why I chose this route or want to know more about apprenticeships, then ask away! :h:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brainzistheword
I have been for almost a year now.

If you want to know anything about my academic history, why I chose this route or want to know more about apprenticeships, then ask away! :h:

If you work 30 hours a week what is usually your hours and what days do you have off if you have any?
Original post by elmosandy
If you work 30 hours a week what is usually your hours and what days do you have off if you have any?

I work 37 hours but that includes one day of college on the same premises. It is about 8:00-17:00 Mon to Thu with Friday off
I work 37 hours but that includes one day of college on the same premises. It is about 8:00-17:00 Mon to Thu with Friday off

oh okay. I'm thinking about a hospitlality bar and waiting apprenticeship just to gain experience but I don't want it taking up all of my time :/ hmm
oh okay. I'm thinking about a hospitlality bar and waiting apprenticeship just to gain experience but I don't want it taking up all of my time :/ hmm

Ah! I think an apprenticeship will more than likely be a full time commitment

Bear in mind also, that not all apprenticeship schemes will work the same hours I do, so it might be worth asking local companies who offer one and asking what their hours would be.
Ah! I think an apprenticeship will more than likely be a full time commitment

Yeah I know. Well I have bar experience but I want to do this apprenticeship as I want get Bar and Waitressing as I've never done it before experience... I mean bar experience as in cocktails ( the only bar experience I have was in a community theatre and bottled drinks - I mean I went to a part time job friday&saturday trial last night and I was so rubbish at it , they'll probably not even take me now ) and I need that because I want to go into bartending ( but as a part-time job not full time ) and I've been rejected for not having cocktail experience and I know the apprenticeship will train me up and they will have to train me up because it's an apprenticeship ( I've been offered a full time place on an apprenticeship but still I'm not experienced in cocktails/ making drinks, spirts ,waitressing). I don't want all of my time taken up but I can't gain further experience any where else.
(edited 6 years ago)
Bear in mind also, that not all apprenticeship schemes will work the same hours I do, so it might be worth asking local companies who offer one and asking what their hours would be.

Yeah my one works 30 hours a week with overtime ( the bar doesn't open until 12pm so i'll a little worried - that's a lot of my time). I really want to gain experience and a year at miller and carter with training might do that but the 30 hours and the overtime with no timetable is a lot to ask for
Yeah I know. Well I have bar experience but I want to do this apprenticeship as I want get Bar and Waitressing as I've never done it before experience... I mean bar experience as in cocktails ( the only bar experience I have was in a community theatre and bottled drinks - I mean I went to a part time job friday&saturday trial last night and I was so rubbish at it , they'll probably not even take me now ) and I need that because I want to go into bartending ( but as a part-time job not full time ) and I've been rejected for not having cocktail experience and I know the apprenticeship will train me up and they will have to train me up because it's an apprenticeship ( I've been offered a full time place on an apprenticeship but still I'm not experienced in cocktails/ making drinks, spirts ,waitressing). I don't want all of my time taken up but I can't gain further experience any where else.

I know with the apprenticeship I'm on, they started us all with the absolute basics and I'd like to hope they'd do the same with you
Yeah my one works 30 hours a week with overtime ( the bar doesn't open until 12pm so i'll a little worried - that's a lot of my time). I really want to gain experience and a year at miller and carter with training might do that but the 30 hours and the overtime with no timetable is a lot to ask for

What would you be looking at doing alongside this? Are you studying? Or working elsewhere?
What would you be looking at doing alongside this? Are you studying? Or working elsewhere?

I was still thinking of studying. I got a McDonalds job but that was a last resort ( finding bartending work with minimal experience is hard ) I can't fiond any work they just want experience. I got a job working for Birmingham Pride and a Part Time Friday&Saturday Bartending but after this Trial I doubt they want me now
I was still thinking of studying. I got a McDonalds job but that was a last resort ( finding bartending work with minimal experience is hard ) I can't fiond any work they just want experience. I got a job working for Birmingham Pride and a Part Time Friday&Saturday Bartending but after this Trial I doubt they want me now

Ah I can see why you wouldn't want it taking up your time. A lot of companies will want experience. Have you tried just working in restaurants, as they might give you chance to work at the bar and this would count as valuable experience?
Ah I can see why you wouldn't want it taking up your time. A lot of companies will want experience. Have you tried just working in restaurants, as they might give you chance to work at the bar and this would count as valuable experience?

Restaurants want experience too. I went to a gelato shop and they dint call me back.:frown: I've found it so hard that a KFC which is at the bottom of my road haven't got back to me. Yeah I do have experience but just not enough as yesterday has proven that
Restaurants want experience too. I went to a gelato shop and they dint call me back.:frown: I've found it so hard that a KFC which is at the bottom of my road haven't got back to me. Yeah I do have experience but just not enough as yesterday has proven that

It sounds like it's going to take time for you to get the experience they want then. If you're committed to this industry and the only way to get a job is the apprenticeship then I'd say go for it, but if it is just part time stuff you want, then I'd say keep asking around or ask for job shadowing opportunities to build up your portfolio.
It sounds like it's going to take time for you to get the experience they want then. If you're committed to this industry and the only way to get a job is the apprenticeship then I'd say go for it, but if it is just part time stuff you want, then I'd say keep asking around or ask for job shadowing opportunities to build up your portfolio.

I want a part-time job but I want it in bartending but I don't want it as a full time job ( meaning I don't want full-time as in the future, like I want to go into biology in the future becuase that's what I like) as that's what i'm most experienced in. Like I said, the community theatre where I volunteered just had bottled drinks in refrigerators and a coffee machines and some snacks but other than whisky/champagne or using wine measurements that was really it. Nothing like draft lager or using vodka from bar machines,etc. I don't know the apprenticeship could train me up to lead into something great and I might have more experience for going into bar work part-time but I think I lost on this trial for part-time friday&saturday even though part-time bartending is ideal.

Anyway thanks for your help :smile:
Anyway thanks for your help :smile:

No problem. Sorry I can't be of more help though :h:
I know with the apprenticeship I'm on, they started us all with the absolute basics and I'd like to hope they'd do the same with you

y did u want 2 be an apprentice
Original post by galingo
y did u want 2 be an apprentice

Stop killing people and go to school please Bryce. Spelling is a useful skill.
Original post by feministy
Stop killing people and go to school please Bryce. Spelling is a useful skill.

Agreed :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending