The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel RE Exam 15th May 2017 Unit 1

Hello everyone. I was just wondering if anybody else is doing this exam tomorrow as it's my first one. What are you all aiming for and do you think you're ready for it? Also which topics have your teachers predicted to come up? Good luck!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is anyone doing this exam?
Original post by Moppet
Hello everyone. I was just wondering if anybody else is doing this exam tomorrow as it's my first one. What are you all aiming for and do you think you're ready for it? Also which topics have your teachers predicted to come up? Good luck!

I'm doing the unit 1 exam tommorow too and my teacher said that stuff on the media An how it views religion might come up because it hasn't come up for time. I feel like I'm kind of ready just a few bits I need to go over and I'm kind of nervous because it's my first exam. Goodluck👍🏼😉
Im doing Unit 3 tomorrow!
I've made flashcards on Quizlet if anyone wants to see, I can share them with whoever. I got most of them from a user named cgold09 but added a bit of my own there too.
Reply 5
Original post by pastelsloth
I've made flashcards on Quizlet if anyone wants to see, I can share them with whoever. I got most of them from a user named cgold09 but added a bit of my own there too.

I'd like to have a look at them.

Name your price up to £0.00.
Original post by Katzen
I'd like to have a look at them.

Name your price up to £0.00.

They're not the best thing in the world but I think they should help me at least. It depends what religion your school makes you study, I can only write about Christianity and Islam. My price is actually -$0.96, you'll have to convert your £.

They could be useless to you but:
https://quizlet.com/209141592/re-edexcel-stuff-flash-cards/
Reply 7
Original post by pastelsloth
They're not the best thing in the world but I think they should help me at least. It depends what religion your school makes you study, I can only write about Christianity and Islam. My price is actually -$0.96, you'll have to convert your £.

They could be useless to you but:
https://quizlet.com/209141592/re-edexcel-stuff-flash-cards/

MY MY THIS SOME GOOD SMOKE RIGHT HERE. Thank you.
Original post by Katzen
MY MY THIS SOME GOOD SMOKE RIGHT HERE. Thank you.

omg im glad u liked it-creds to the person i mentioned earlier though i just put it all into one bit and added media examples bc they missed that :smile:
I'm doing unit 1 tomorrow and im actually a little nervous. Has anyone else predicted any specific topic that might come up?
Reply 10
yes please
Reply 11
Original post by sanah_14
I'm doing unit 1 tomorrow and im actually a little nervous. Has anyone else predicted any specific topic that might come up?

My teacher predicted:

Section 1: Causation argument, the Christian response to scientific explanations of the world, Christian response to evil and suffering and the problem of unanswered prayers (how it may lead to atheism/agnosticism)

Section 2: Christian and Islamic belief in life after death (or the other religion you are doing), why some people do not believe in life after death, Christian and Islamic beliefs of abortion and Islamic beliefs on euthanasia

Section 3: Islamic beliefs about sex outside marriage, Islamic belief on family life, Islamic beliefs on homosexuality and Islamic belief on contraception

Section 4: Islamic beliefs about equal rights for women, The UK as a multi ethnic society, Christian belief on promoting racial harmony and how religions work together to promote community cohesion

We can't be sure what will come up but I hope it's some of these topics. Good luck everyone!
Is anyone doing Unit 4 (Religion and life: Islam) tomorrow?
im alright with the exam its just the grade boundaries are ridiculous!!! last year, if you lost your 4 spag marks thats your A* gone... but other than that i'm fairly confident
Original post by Moppet
My teacher predicted:

Section 1: Causation argument, the Christian response to scientific explanations of the world, Christian response to evil and suffering and the problem of unanswered prayers (how it may lead to atheism/agnosticism)

Section 2: Christian and Islamic belief in life after death (or the other religion you are doing), why some people do not believe in life after death, Christian and Islamic beliefs of abortion and Islamic beliefs on euthanasia

Section 3: Islamic beliefs about sex outside marriage, Islamic belief on family life, Islamic beliefs on homosexuality and Islamic belief on contraception

Section 4: Islamic beliefs about equal rights for women, The UK as a multi ethnic society, Christian belief on promoting racial harmony and how religions work together to promote community cohesion

We can't be sure what will come up but I hope it's some of these topics. Good luck everyone!

there's a Christian response to scientific explanations of the world?!? surely that can't be an 8 marker?
Reply 15
Original post by jazi1904
there's a Christian response to scientific explanations of the world?!? surely that can't be an 8 marker?

Please don't worry, it's only a prediction so it could easily be wrong :smile: But if it does come up just give the following four reasons and develop them a bit. You can do this by giving examples or using "because" to explain the point:

1.Some Christians believe that scientific theories are compatible with God because They believe that the Bible's description of the creation of the world is more of a story
2. They believe the six days of creation were stages, not actual periods of time
3. They believe that science describes how the world was created and the Bible explains why it was created
4. Other Christians reject scientific explanations of the world and believe they are wrong because they conflict with what is written in the Bible. These Christians are called creationists (you should get a mark for just the keyword!)

If you have a bit of time left over after you have checked the rest of your paper, and feel you weren't able to develop some of these points, just link them to another one of your own, e.g, "some Christians reject the theories of evolution and natural selection because they believe that God has designed all species due to the design argument", or maybe write "Some Christians believe God created the universe using science. For example, God caused the Big Bang. Therefore, they believe that religion and science can work together to explain the existence of the Universe"

Good luck and don't worry!
When the subject is easy, but your like 🙀. Am so nervous having an examiner mark my paper, deciding my grade.
Reply 17
Original post by TheAlchemistress
When the subject is easy, but your like 🙀. Am so nervous having an examiner mark my paper, deciding my grade.

I'm really really worried about the grade boundaries. It was 81/84 on this paper last year for an A*
Original post by Moppet
I'm really really worried about the grade boundaries. It was 81/84 on this paper last year for an A*

Wow, the 2016 paper?
Original post by Moppet
Please don't worry, it's only a prediction so it could easily be wrong :smile: But if it does come up just give the following four reasons and develop them a bit. You can do this by giving examples or using "because" to explain the point:

1.Some Christians believe that scientific theories are compatible with God because They believe that the Bible's description of the creation of the world is more of a story
2. They believe the six days of creation were stages, not actual periods of time
3. They believe that science describes how the world was created and the Bible explains why it was created
4. Other Christians reject scientific explanations of the world and believe they are wrong because they conflict with what is written in the Bible. These Christians are called creationists (you should get a mark for just the keyword!)

If you have a bit of time left over after you have checked the rest of your paper, and feel you weren't able to develop some of these points, just link them to another one of your own, e.g, "some Christians reject the theories of evolution and natural selection because they believe that God has designed all species due to the design argument", or maybe write "Some Christians believe God created the universe using science. For example, God caused the Big Bang. Therefore, they believe that religion and science can work together to explain the existence of the Universe"

Good luck and don't worry!

this is really useful thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending