The Student Room Group

Psychology Edexcel As paper 1 predictions

Does anyone have any predictions of specific topics that may come up in the first paper upcoming on Monday the 15th? Or topics that haven't appeared in papers in previous years? This will really help for the last part of focusing my revision this weekend!
Reply 1
Original post by gorilla2000
Does anyone have any predictions of specific topics that may come up in the first paper upcoming on Monday the 15th? Or topics that haven't appeared in papers in previous years? This will really help for the last part of focusing my revision this weekend!

How are you feeling about the exam? Have you figured out timings yet?
Reply 2
Original post by new1234
How are you feeling about the exam? Have you figured out timings yet?

From completing past papers time is not often an issue, but advice on timings would also be great please. I'm feeling more confident in social than cognitive
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
From completing past papers time is not often an issue, but advice on timings would also be great please. I'm feeling more confident in social than cognitive

Really? Timing is my biggest concern since I know the content but cannot write fast enough or think fast enough. Still trying to figure out timings! That's good! Wish I had your confidence! Good luck!
I have a feeling we're definitely going to have an 8 marker on one of the memory store models
Reply 5
Original post by manalhamad
I have a feeling we're definitely going to have an 8 marker on one of the memory store models

as long as it is not LTM as I barely have anything to say about that. Semantic. episodic. Thats pretty much it. Anything else?
Reply 6
LTM:
Declarative: Semantic + Episodic
Procedural

+HM
+ Retrograde Amnesia patients
- Only explanation of LTM thus not complete explanation of memory
- Doesn't account for contextual cues.

If you even give examples in the AO1, probs enough to write an 8 marker on
Reply 7
Original post by Rain^^
LTM:
Declarative: Semantic + Episodic
Procedural

+HM
+ Retrograde Amnesia patients
- Only explanation of LTM thus not complete explanation of memory
- Doesn't account for contextual cues.

If you even give examples in the AO1, probs enough to write an 8 marker on

On the spec only semantic and episodic are named as stores so I use procedural as a criticism? Is that wrong? That is what I was instructed by my teacher.
Also by examples do you mean give examples of things stored by each store? And what are contextual cues?
Thanks!
Reply 8
Original post by new1234
On the spec only semantic and episodic are named as stores so I use procedural as a criticism? Is that wrong? That is what I was instructed by my teacher.
Also by examples do you mean give examples of things stored by each store? And what are contextual cues?
Thanks!

contextual cues are for example, you visit a garden when you're 30 and its filled with lavender flowers, and that triggers retrieval of long term memories of when you used to play in lavenders fields when you were 13, bringing that memory into the short term. contextual cues use your 5 senses (smell, hearing etc) to retrieve long term memories. This is quite a sketchy definition sorry but I think I'm close!
Reply 9
contextual cues are for example, you visit a garden when you're 30 and its filled with lavender flowers, and that triggers retrieval of long term memories of when you used to play in lavenders fields when you were 13, bringing that memory into the short term. contextual cues use your 5 senses (smell, hearing etc) to retrieve long term memories. This is quite a sketchy definition sorry but I think I'm close!

Ahhh I understand! Thanks! Also check the other thread for this exam as I just posted some predictions on the 12/8 markers! Good luck!
Original post by new1234
Ahhh I understand! Thanks! Also check the other thread for this exam as I just posted some predictions on the 12/8 markers! Good luck!

No worries! What's the title of the thread so I can find it?
No worries! What's the title of the thread so I can find it?

AS Official Edexcel 1 Psychology 2017
Reply 12
Original post by new1234
Thanks!

Yeah I just found out that Procedural memory isn't in the spec, which is weird as I'm certain that it is part of what Tulving proposed.

Examples of Episodic memory: First day of school (conscious
Semantic Memory: Paris is the capital of france
Procedural: Remembering how to ride a bicycle

HM supports the distinguish between Semantic and Procedural as he could learn new motor skills such as tracing a star on a mirror reflection but needed reminding he could do so

Retrograde Amnesia often includes the loss of Episodic memory but not semantic memory. ---> supports Tulving LTM

Only explains LTM, does not account for STM + SM memory, therefore not a cohesive explanation of memory

Doesn't include the importance of contextual cues ---> Study by Godden and Baddeley found that divers were able to recall better when the condition (location) of recall did not change
Original post by Rain^^
Yeah I just found out that Procedural memory isn't in the spec, which is weird as I'm certain that it is part of what Tulving proposed.

Examples of Episodic memory: First day of school (conscious
Semantic Memory: Paris is the capital of france
Procedural: Remembering how to ride a bicycle

HM supports the distinguish between Semantic and Procedural as he could learn new motor skills such as tracing a star on a mirror reflection but needed reminding he could do so

Retrograde Amnesia often includes the loss of Episodic memory but not semantic memory. ---> supports Tulving LTM

Only explains LTM, does not account for STM + SM memory, therefore not a cohesive explanation of memory

Doesn't include the importance of contextual cues ---> Study by Godden and Baddeley found that divers were able to recall better when the condition (location) of recall did not change

I am not going to include procedural as part of it then since some of the textbooks I use also dont include it. I use Baddeley of KC as supporting evidence but KC is not generalisable which reduces the credibility. I then talk about application and how it could be used to help dementia patients by surrounding them with stimuli that remind them of their childhood and past events. I then talk about how it does not consider that the 2 stores may link for example finding out your adopted is episodic but learning not to trust your parents anymore is semantic. It also does not consider STM so is reductionist unlike MSM.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending