The Student Room Group

Edexcel Mathematics: Core C1 6663 17th May 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sam_99
Could someone clear up for me when doing sequences questions when to use the a + (n-1)d or 1/2[2a+(n-1)d]

What key words do I need to look for so I know which one to use because I'm never completely sure.

Thanks

usually the question will give you a scenario. For example, Sam received £80 for his 10th birthday. Each year from then the amount he receives increases by £10 forming an arithmetic sequence....

a question could ask 'how much does Sam receive on his 19th Birthday?' In this case you'd use a + (n-1)d.

another question could ask 'what is the TOTAL amount of money he receives from his 10th birthday to and including his 21st birthday?' In this case you'd use 1/2[2a + (n-1)d] as you'd need to find the sum of all the money he receives from his 10th birthday to his 21st.

Hope that made things a little clearer
Original post by jayforreal18
WMA01_01_que_20170110.pdfHere's the c12 Jan 2017 paper

Can't open this. Please could you send again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fx85GTplus
Can't open this. Please could you send again

Posted from TSR Mobile

WMA01_01_que_20170110.pdf
Any predictions for what's comming up in the C1 paper on Wednesday? And do u think it's good be easy this year or difficult
Reply 124
Original post by DamnDaniel2
usually the question will give you a scenario. For example, Sam received £80 for his 10th birthday. Each year from then the amount he receives increases by £10 forming an arithmetic sequence....

a question could ask 'how much does Sam receive on his 19th Birthday?' In this case you'd use a + (n-1)d.

another question could ask 'what is the TOTAL amount of money he receives from his 10th birthday to and including his 21st birthday?' In this case you'd use 1/2[2a + (n-1)d] as you'd need to find the sum of all the money he receives from his 10th birthday to his 21st.

Hope that made things a little clearer

Thats great, thank you :h:
Im hoping this year will be good, after all last year's papers are the reasons why I'm resitting :colondollar:
Who's resisting c1 and c2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thehaskone
Any predictions for what's comming up in the C1 paper on Wednesday? And do u think it's good be easy this year or difficult

I haven't seen the proof of arithmetic progression for a while so it wouldn't surprise me if that came up.
My teacher thinks that they might have changed whoever writes the papers, putting more people into designing the new A level papers, so the paper might be like it was last year I.E. WITH NO WHOLE NUMBERS 😥😥😥 so be prepared for that
Original post by cazzers123
I haven't seen the proof of arithmetic progression for a while so it wouldn't surprise me if that came up.
My teacher thinks that they might have changed whoever writes the papers, putting more people into designing the new A level papers, so the paper might be like it was last year I.E. WITH NO WHOLE NUMBERS 😥😥😥 so be prepared for that

I did last years paper for my mock exam and I honestly dont think it was as difficult as everyone says, yes there were a lot of fractions in some questions, but as long as you have decent mental maths skills the paper wasn't to challenging
Reply 130

Part b - keep generating the Un terms, - it will become negative in year 6

Part c - let u1 also equal 500000 and sub it in so you get
500,000 = 1.05 * 500000 - d
this gives 500000 = 525000 - d
so d = 25000
Original post by physicsamor
Im hoping this year will be good, after all last year's papers are the reasons why I'm resitting :colondollar:

No same lol, let's hope k doesn't equal 41/8 or R = 44/3 lmao :colondollar:
Reply 132
Original post by candol
Part b - keep generating the Un terms, - it will become negative in year 6

Part c - let u1 also equal 500000 and sub it in so you get
500,000 = 1.05 * 500000 - d
this gives 500000 = 525000 - d
so d = 25000

Thanks
One more question
Can you also look question 9
Part d
We have to find area of triangle
I draw sketch and I used part c value as a base and 2 as a s height
But they find BC and use this as height.....can u plz explain me this

If you draw sketch by points given
A -1,-2
B7,2
C 6,4
You will realize what I mean
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by JezDayy
No same lol, let's hope k doesn't equal 41/8 or R = 44/3 lmao :colondollar:

Trust :colonhash: just give me nice easy questions. I haven't done that much prep at all :colondollar: but I'm relying on a2 maths you feel. Got a resit tomorrow and then it'll be my focus :redface:
Reply 134
Original post by Qer
Thanks
One more question
Can you also look question 9
Part d
We have to find area of triangle
I draw sketch and I used part c value as a base and 2 as a s height
But they find BC and use this as height.....can u plz explain me this

If you draw sketch by points given
A -1,-2
B7,2
C 6,4
You will realize what I mean

A pleasure. these questions often lead through. Part c as a base is correct. We know angle ABC is a right angle (told in question) so we need the length of BC (using pythagoras) to then do 1/2 ab x bc
does that help?.
Reply 135
http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/c1-edexcel-practice/
Can anyone look paper 4 here
There is question 6
I don't understand its last part please help me
Original post by Qer
There is question 6

Is it the one that says, "Find the Coordinates of D"?

If so, as it's a regular rectangle to get from Point B to Point C you move up 8 and across 6.

So from Point A to D (as it has the same gradient as BC). Point A is (3,0) therefore 3+8 = 11 and 0+6 = 6, so coordinates of D is (11,6)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Qer
There is question 6

In short. Once you've found the co-ordinates of the point C, you'll be able to find the gradient of AD.

Then you can just setup an equation to figure out

11 - X = -1
8 - X = 2
Reply 138
Original post by BenSainsbury
Is it the one that says, "Find the Coordinates of D"?

If so, as it's a regular rectangle to get from Point B to Point C you move up 8 and across 6.

So from Point A to D (as it has the same gradient as BC). Point A is (3,0) therefore 3+8 = 11 and 0+6 = 6, so coordinates of D is (11,6)

yeah it is
i thought that it would be 7,6
but it is 11,6
Original post by Qer
yeah it is
i thought that it would be 7,6
but it is 11,6

P.s. I had my coordinates wrong their.

K has coordinates (8,10) and the gradient of AD is -1/2

y2-y1
===== --> M
x2 - x1