The Student Room Group

Edexcel Mathematics: Mechanics M3 6679 01 - 17 May 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TrueDAN
Mad how close the exam is now! Ive done
- ALL M3 edexcel papers done and redoing those which I found tough.
- Every question in the textbook done.
- All solomon papers done.
- Loads of madasmaths too
My weakest area is definitely SHM. All I want is a standard paper, like not easy so the boundaries become absurd but not that hard that it is demoralising - guess we will have to just show up and do the best on the day.

Are the solomon papers worth doing? I don't know if i can be bothered really
Original post by xyz9856
Are the solomon papers worth doing? I don't know if i can be bothered really

I was surpised with some of them - id actually recommend doing atleast a couple of them!
Original post by TrueDAN
I was surpised with some of them - id actually recommend doing atleast a couple of them!

Will take a look, thanks! If you want to re-do a tough paper, definitely try January 2014 IAL, I thought it was especially difficult. I have been scoring between 72-75 consistently and doing past papers is really taking the energy from me. Jan 2002-2017 is done, probably going to get Jun 2009-16 done by tuesday.

Good luck!
Dan's done so much! I hope you get the grade buddy! Hard work in = results!
I'm around 2010 w.r.t past papers (Jan and June), but doing Solomon was pretty useless for me last year. I did them for M1 and S1.
Since we have only 2 days, idk whether I'll have time to look at them.
Original post by kavindajd
I'm around 2010 w.r.t past papers (Jan and June), but doing Solomon was pretty useless for me last year. I did them for M1 and S1.

Agreed, did all the solomon papers for C1 and it was a waste of time.

Good luck
Hi guys,

You know how in chapter 3, there's the bit in the beginning about using calculus for variable forces, aren't the methods used exactly the same as those in chapter 1? I don't really know how to distinguish between the two

Any help will be much appreciated!
Original post by physicalgraffiti
Hi guys,

You know how in chapter 3, there's the bit in the beginning about using calculus for variable forces, aren't the methods used exactly the same as those in chapter 1? I don't really know how to distinguish between the two

Any help will be much appreciated!

Chapter one you were dealing with acceleration but the start of Chp.3 is with Forces. So the concept is different.

When you are given a force and a mass, you can use Newton's second Law to rearrange to get acceleration on its own. Then use the kinematics stuff from Chp.1 to replace a with dv/dt or vdv/dx etc..

But the work done and impulse stuff is different.

If the question gives you a force, the you know you are using Chp.3
If it gives you accel. w.r.t to t then you are using Chp.1
(edited 6 years ago)
Chapter one you were dealing with acceleration but the start of Chp.3 is with Forces. So the concept is different.

When you are given a force and a mass, you can use Newton's second Law to rearrange to get acceleration on its own. Then use the kinematics stuff from Chp.1 to replace a with dv/dt or vdv/dx etc..

But the work done and impulse stuff is different.

Ahh, okay thanks for clearing that up :smile: About the force varying with displacement formula though, would we use a=vdv/dx or a=d/dx(1/2v2) when forming the F=ma equation? Or does it not matter which one we use?
Original post by physicalgraffiti
Ahh, okay thanks for clearing that up :smile: About the force varying with displacement formula though, would we use a=vdv/dx or a=d/dx(1/2v2) when forming the F=ma equation? Or does it not matter which one we use?

Nope, doesn't matter, it gives the same result. I just prefer vdv/dx because its cleaner and because I can't be asked to multiply by 2 on both sides XD.
Nope, doesn't matter, it gives the same result. I just prefer vdv/dx because its cleaner and because I can't be asked to multiply by 2 on both sides XD.

Sick thanks! And yeah I'd rather use that one too tbh XD
Original post by xyz9856
Will take a look, thanks! If you want to re-do a tough paper, definitely try January 2014 IAL, I thought it was especially difficult. I have been scoring between 72-75 consistently and doing past papers is really taking the energy from me. Jan 2002-2017 is done, probably going to get Jun 2009-16 done by tuesday.

Good luck!

Amazing grind bro!! Keep at it - likewise to you! :biggrin:

Thank you bro!! :biggrin: Yeah solomons do seem to be a bit hit and miss - I am just
redoing some of the really grim papers - keep grinding man!
Reply 153
Still haven't done 4 papers

No time for Solomon

Haven't done textbook review exercises or practice paper

Terrible at SHM

Praying it's a standard paper rn
Original post by AAls
Still haven't done 4 papers

No time for Solomon

Haven't done textbook review exercises or practice paper

Terrible at SHM

Praying it's a standard paper rn

Still means youve done like 30 past papers though which is plenty and more than enough - SHM is my weakest too and haha yeah likewise but just got to do our best.
Can anyone help me with 6c http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...%20Edexcel.pdf
the question with the trapezium rule
Original post by saira.p
Can anyone help me with 6c http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...%20Edexcel.pdf
the question with the trapezium rule

Redid that paper yesterday and I did not read the question fully and found the distance not the time - so I messed up on it twice - going to try and go through it.
Ok so we know acceleration = v dV/dX and in terms of time, is equal to dV/dT
The expression you derive is regarding acceleration, hence equate this to dV/dT.
and seperate the variables i.e T = Integral of (10000v/8000-v^3).dV sorry for my sloppy format. Now we know the intervals will be 4,6,8. Now substitute these 3 values of V into the function of V that is being integrated (see bold) and apply trapezium rule - sorry if I poorly explained it - it is not as bad as it appears, it is just spotting what to do!
I'm alright with S.H.M. I strangely like the problems. I just hate the stuff in Chapter 5, especially sliding and toppling. Any tips you guys can give?
What makes you loathe S.H.M?
Guys, anyone any idea about SHM chapter book exercises 63/11b and 70/7b? I've looked at the solution bank, but I don't get it at all
I'm alright with S.H.M. I strangely like the problems. I just hate the stuff in Chapter 5, especially sliding and toppling. Any tips you guys can give?
What makes you loathe S.H.M?

Not sure tbh - I just found some of it to be a challenge- particularly the ship problems but after doing madasmaths, I am fine with it now. I also find it sometimes dull compared to some of the other problems but after refining my diagrams for it, it seems to be okay.
Hmm the only thing I would recommend doing is again use madasmaths as he helped me with that by looking at his worked solutions - a quality diagram usually helps to simplify the problem. However, some of the exam questions which have been asked on c.o.m I think are some of the hardest problems you can encounter - January 14 IAL for example - the question was a replica of a madasmaths problem

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending