The Student Room Group

Ocr economics f581 (16/05) and/or f582 (23/05) retakes

Scroll to see replies

hiya,
could you message me the mark scheme please if you have it.

thanks
how did people find it??
Original post by Hammy_23
how did people find it??

Found it harder than most papers.
Like what diagram did you do for the question on the first page where it said something about how to allocate resources with excess supply.
Also, what diagram did you do for the 18 marker? I did a shift in supply left because I had never covered information provision as it is not in our OCR textbooks??
Original post by setar01
Found it harder than most papers.
Like what diagram did you do for the question on the first page where it said something about how to allocate resources with excess supply.
Also, what diagram did you do for the 18 marker? I did a shift in supply left because I had never covered information provision as it is not in our OCR textbooks??

yes i will have to agree it was harder than normal papers, the diagram you are referring to seems correct although i showed a shift in supply, therefore, price decreasing will get some marks 2/3 but had to do excessive supply i think

for the 18 marker i explained info. provision and then evaluated how its not effective did an alternative policy then i drew a diagram to show junk food overconsumed by welfare diagram and recommended indirect taxes would fare better also stuck a diagram in
Reply 544
yes i will have to agree it was harder than normal papers, the diagram you are referring to seems correct although i showed a shift in supply, therefore, price decreasing will get some marks 2/3 but had to do excessive supply i think

for the 18 marker i explained info. provision and then evaluated how its not effective did an alternative policy then i drew a diagram to show junk food overconsumed by welfare diagram and recommended indirect taxes would fare better also stuck a diagram in

Yes I agree harder than normal. For the info provision an inward shift of demand occurred due to consumers making an informed decision and changing their behaviour once realising the negative externalities that arise from fast food consumption. For the excess supply diagram you just had to draw the market at disequilibrium then reduce the price to where S=D.For producer surplus diagram did you start supply for zero or just above? I was torn between the two because it was a S and D diagram rather than just producer surplus diagram. Thoughts on grade boundaries? Lower or higher than last year?
Original post by MJD15
Yes I agree harder than normal. For the info provision an inward shift of demand occurred due to consumers making an informed decision and changing their behaviour once realising the negative externalities that arise from fast food consumption. For the excess supply diagram you just had to draw the market at disequilibrium then reduce the price to where S=D.For producer surplus diagram did you start supply for zero or just above? I was torn between the two because it was a S and D diagram rather than just producer surplus diagram. Thoughts on grade boundaries? Lower or higher than last year?

indeed agree with you, although as long as price drops two marks are allocated for the first diagram from previous mark schemes

yes you could do that tbh, for the last question after explaining info provision you could do any diagram just depends what route your essay took and how you tackled the question.

they were very sly, but luckily did a similar question on the surplus

what did you get for the percentage change?? oddly phrased

44-47 an A??
indeed agree with you, although as long as price drops two marks are allocated for the first diagram from previous mark schemes

yes you could do that tbh, for the last question after explaining info provision you could do any diagram just depends what route your essay took and how you tackled the question.

they were very sly, but luckily did a similar question on the surplus

what did you get for the percentage change?? oddly phrased

44-47 an A??

I got 3% for the percentage change as you had to rearrange the equation ped being -0.6*-5=3%

So just to confirm, I drew a excess supply diagram so that is that right for that question on the first page?

Also for information provision, I drew a left shift in supply as production costs would rise for producers who have to provide information thus invest in improving it on packing for example...or is that defo wrong?

And hopefully like 44 for an A because off the 18 marker which was abit ****.
What do you lot all think you got out of 42 for the short answered questions?
Original post by setar01
I got 3% for the percentage change as you had to rearrange the equation ped being -0.6*-5=3%

So just to confirm, I drew a excess supply diagram so that is that right for that question on the first page?

Also for information provision, I drew a left shift in supply as production costs would rise for producers who have to provide information thus invest in improving it on packing for example...or is that defo wrong?

Also what examples did you guys put for the economic problem related to the case study I blanked out on that one tbh?
Reply 548
Original post by setar01
Also what examples did you guys put for the economic problem related to the case study I blanked out on that one tbh?

Yes it depends if you went along the lines of increased costs of production or change in behaviour for the essay-both are right. I also got +3%. For the economic problem examples I stated the government had to choose which intervention to provide due to finite resources and also said consumers need to make a choice in buying fast food/ fruit and veg as money is finite. I think 43/44 for an A because information provision is the harder essay they could give, given that it isn't even in the text book hardly.
Original post by MJD15
Yes it depends if you went along the lines of increased costs of production or change in behaviour for the essay-both are right. I also got +3%. For the economic problem examples I stated the government had to choose which intervention to provide due to finite resources and also said consumers need to make a choice in buying fast food/ fruit and veg as money is finite. I think 43/44 for an A because information provision is the harder essay they could give, given that it isn't even in the text book hardly.

Yh hopefully because information provision isn't even in my ocr textbook.
Yh that seems right I put 1) choices had to be made by consumer to buy healthy food or junk food and for 2) money can be invest in the wellness programme or the other option they gave.

What did you guys put for the 4 marks for XED?
I put its positive so substitutes, greater than 1 so is price elastic meaning they are strong substitutes that's it.
Reply 550
Original post by setar01
Yh hopefully because information provision isn't even in my ocr textbook.
Yh that seems right I put 1) choices had to be made by consumer to buy healthy food or junk food and for 2) money can be invest in the wellness programme or the other option they gave.

What did you guys put for the 4 marks for XED?
I put its positive so substitutes, greater than 1 so is price elastic meaning they are strong substitutes that's it.

Thats right for XED- to develop for the final mark you needed to use a numerical example and say the respsiveness of QD for one product is greater than the change in price for the other.

What did you do for the producer surplus diagram? Start price from zero or above?
Original post by MJD15
Thats right for XED- to develop for the final mark you needed to use a numerical example and say the respsiveness of QD for one product is greater than the change in price for the other.

What did you do for the producer surplus diagram? Start price from zero or above?

I drew the supply curve touching price line just above 0. Then wrote additional producer surplus but I forgot to write original lol so will only get 3/4 I think.
Reply 552
Original post by setar01
I drew the supply curve touching price line just above 0. Then wrote additional producer surplus but I forgot to write original lol so will only get 3/4 I think.

Think either will be right as for PS in a past paper mark scheme there was a mark for the supply curve but it didn't state the supply curve has to be above zero. This paper was the hardest markets in action there has been though. Wonder how many people sat it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MJD15
Think either will be right we for PS in a past paper mark scheme there was a mark for the supply curve but it didn't state the supply curve has to be above zero. This paper was the hardest markets in action there has been though.

Fair enough and yh I agree mainly because of the 18 marker in my opinion but it was annoying that we didn't get any determinants of demand or supply as they are in the papers each year.
Original post by setar01

i think that it right, i think you should get full marks, but remember that marks are allocated per movement, axis, labels etc

yes that's what i done for my alternative policy after explaining info provision stated tax better alternative and that is the case

i think around 33-35 well i hope

'A' depends because not many people doing the exam so could be beneficial or go against us
Reply 555
i think that it right, i think you should get full marks, but remember that marks are allocated per movement, axis, labels etc

yes that's what i done for my alternative policy after explaining info provision stated tax better alternative and that is the case

i think around 33-35 well i hope

'A' depends because not many people doing the exam so could be beneficial or go against us

What did you put for the disadvantages, depends on and judgement for an info provision?
Original post by MJD15
What did you put for the disadvantages, depends on and judgement for an info provision?

My disadvantages weren't great tbh:
I put that it depends upon whether the right information is being provided and whether it's being communicated clearly
And then I put saying there needs to be some international agreement between franchises for example who have equal provision of information as some firms may decide to move abroad to avoid higher costs?

What did you put?
Reply 557
Original post by setar01
My disadvantages weren't great tbh:
I put that it depends upon whether the right information is being provided and whether it's being communicated clearly
And then I put saying there needs to be some international agreement between franchises for example who have equal provision of information as some firms may decide to move abroad to avoid higher costs?

What did you put?

Mine were silimar I talked about the massive cost of the information provision to the government, people may choose to ignore it, people may not understand it and the quality of the information may be poor and inaccurate.

Just hope I have an A because I put the work in just not the best questions.
Original post by MJD15
Mine were silimar I talked about the massive cost of the information provision to the government, people may choose to ignore it, people may not understand it and the quality of the information may be poor and inaccurate.

Just hope I have an A because I put the work in just not the best questions.

Yh I get you man will be annoying with all the work I put in aswell. Are you retaking F582? Luckily I'm not. Just hope I have an A because I put the work in just not the best questions.
Reply 559
Original post by setar01
Yh I get you man will be annoying with all the work I put in aswell. Are you retaking F582? Luckily I'm not. Just hope I have an A because I put the work in just not the best questions.

Yeah I agree I put for my depends on points about the size of the provision, PED and whether part of integrated approach.

No I'm doing transport though so hopefully that's ok

Quick Reply

Latest