The Student Room Group

2017 GCSE AQA St. Mark's Gospel - Unit 5 (15th May)

Hey guys. From comparing the previous years test papers and the specification (from 2014 onwards), these topics have not showed up yet. If you can add to it, or delete from it, it would be nice as we can focus on those a bit more for the test on 15th.

Topic 1: Background to Mark's Gospel:

Significance of the term "Gospel" as good news.
The first line of the gospel (Mark 1:1)

Topic 2: Jesus' Ministry:
Everything from here has shown up...

Topic 3:Jesus' suffering, Death and Resurrection:
the Trials before the Jewish Council (Sanhedrin) : Mark 14: 53-65
The empty tomb: Mark 16: 1-8

Topic 4: The person of Jesus:
Baptism of Jesus: Mark 1: 9-11
Caesarea Philippi: Mark 8: 27-33

Topic 5: Jesus' relationship with Others
Jesus and the Jewish Authorities
The Call of Levi and eating with sinners: 2 13-17
The incident at the Temple Court Mark 11 15-18

Topic 6: Discipleship
The parables of the kingdom: Mark 4: 3-9, 14-20,30-32
Teaching on service: Mark 10: 42-45
Peter's promise and denials: Mark 14 26-31, 66-72
The commission Mark 16: 14-18

These are the set texts that havent been question upon yet. If you believe something does not belong here or something is missing, feel free to add.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rickH123
Hey guys. From comparing the previous years test papers and the specification (from 2014 onwards), these topics have not showed up yet. If you can add to it, or delete from it, it would be nice as we can focus on those a bit more for the test on 15th.

These are the set texts that havent been question upon yet. If you believe something does not belong here or something is missing, feel free to add.

The mustard seed hasn't come up and I think CP has come up. by looking at previous years i think person of jesus and jesus' ministry will come up as the insert. good luck - i'm so scared!
Reply 2
Original post by nish2910
The mustard seed hasn't come up and I think CP has come up. by looking at previous years i think person of jesus and jesus' ministry will come up as the insert. good luck - i'm so scared!

caesarea philippi has come up on one of the topics but not based on the other topic
caesarea philippi has come up on one of the topics but not based on the other topic

oh ok has your teacher given any predictions?
Reply 4
oh ok has your teacher given any predictions?

our teachers are trash. Haha. No i looked through the spec and crossed out things that have already showed up from the spec in the papers from 2014 to 2016. If my predictions are correct, the papers should primarily focus more on the person of jesus. I hope jesus' death, resurrection and crucifxion show up on the insert, but they already have so my hopes are down.
Reply 5
my teacher says revise the titles and meanings very important ;-)
Reply 6

I think an account of the Empty Tomb was asked for in 2014 :smile:
they had jesus' death and resurrection again!! so annoying. was hoping for POJ. which insert did you guys choose?
Reply 8
The exam was calm
What did you guys write for the six marker on the authority of mark's gospel??
Original post by flowerssxx
What did you guys write for the six marker on the authority of mark's gospel??

they just used weird words to replace the original question which was 'mark's gospel is not relevant'. i said agree : set in a diff social context, people sceptical of miracles, jesus not here to explain to us like he did with his disciples, christians no longer persecuted.
disagree : christians in trouble can look to COS as miracle of salvation, Parable of sower refers to troubles in life, contains miracles of salvations and essentials of faith etc can't rly remember. am i the only one who didn't like it lol. i did B5 and hated the C question
they just used weird words to replace the original question which was 'mark's gospel is not relevant'. i said agree : set in a diff social context, people sceptical of miracles, jesus not here to explain to us like he did with his disciples, christians no longer persecuted.
disagree : christians in trouble can look to COS as miracle of salvation, Parable of sower refers to troubles in life, contains miracles of salvations and essentials of faith etc can't rly remember. am i the only one who didn't like it lol. i did B5 and hated the C question

I think the word 'authority' just got me so confused. I just wrote two points for it but now it makes sense. Thank you
What did u guys write for the 6 marker on caesera philippi about the disciples not understanding his ministry?
Original post by Shockez
What did u guys write for the 6 marker on caesera philippi about the disciples not understanding his ministry?

For agree I said that Peter tried to tempted him into a life without suffering. A main part of his ministry was teaching about the Kingdom of God which requires his suffering.
For disagree I said that understanding Jesus' ministry even partly stemmed from understanding him and his relationship with God, which they did.
Original post by flowerssxx
I think the word 'authority' just got me so confused. I just wrote two points for it but now it makes sense. Thank you

Thank god, the word authority completely threw me off and i ended up coming back to it at the end and wrote about relevance instead hoping to pick up a few marks :biggrin:
Did anyone else nearly run out of time or was it just me- i feel like we should've had a tiny bit longer :s-smilie:
I found the paper really nice, did anyone else?
Original post by Shockez

Peter only declared that Jesus was the Messiah which only shows that the disciples were only beginning to understand who Jesus was. But I put that the disciples didn't understand Jesus' ministry because Peter took Jesus aside and rebuked Jesus for speaking plainly about his ministry. I concluded with the fact that the disciples were only beginning to understand Jesus' identity but not his ministry.
This is what i put for the very first question that was two marks which asked why St. Mark called his work a gospel -
The word gospel comes from the greek word 'godspell' (turned out it was actually angelo-saxon) which means good news. The gospel would have created hope for the 1st century Christians as it is a message of hope and thus was 'good news' to them.
Do you think my answer is valid even though the word was not greek but angelo-saxon and i didnt mention mark 1:1? The question is worth two marks. Thanks ;-)
they had jesus' death and resurrection again!! so annoying. was hoping for POJ. which insert did you guys choose?

I am so glad that Jesus' death and resurrection was part of the insert. I spent till 3am this morning memorizing the accounts but I didn't manage to do the set texts for Jesus' death and resurrection. I did B5 because I didn't know my stuff to answer B6.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending