Durham, Cass, Bristol, Queen Mary or Loughborough

Hi everyone,

I have a little problem. Indeed I don't know how to choose between these Msc :
_ MSc in Economics, Finance and Management at Bristol
_ Msc Investment Banking (CFA Pathway) at Queen Mary London
_ MSc Finance at Loughborough
_ MSc Investment Management at Cass
_ MSc Finance and Investment at Durham

Indeed, my goal is to be in a summer internship program in 2018 (In sales and Trading or Summer Analyst) in an Investment Banking (Goldman, JP, M.S, Bank of America, Citi...). But I don't know which school and Msc can give me the opportunity to reach my goal.

So I ask you for your opinion please because I am not from the UK, I am in a top-school actually but I want to study in UK because it seems to give me a better chance for this kind of program.

I am especially interested on all regarding Fixed Income.

Thanks in advance for your answer.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi Sony456! Congratulations on your offers!

One way of screening your offers is to look at whether the business school has triple accreditation (by the AACSB, AMBA and EQUIS) as these are the most likely places that you could get more support.

In your case, Loughborough, Cass and Durham are triple accredited. It is not to say that Bristol and Queen Mary are not any good, but you may wish to consider it this way, considering that Bristol & QMUL's career prospects, from what can be seen through their websites, are rather vague. Durham also does not clearly state where their graduates go on to either.

Therefore, if you so choose to consider it this way, you are left with Cass and Loughborough. Your choice will depend on which modules you would like to take, who is teaching and which business school you think will showcase the best in you.

Good luck deciding!
Reply 2
Thanks for your answer @swissariana, but regarding now the "summer internship" aspect.
Do you know which schools have a "better reputation or access" to this kind of programme ?

I mean between Cass, Loughborough and Durham.
Cass has an Applied Research Project which you can do in the summer term but I'm not sure if that is the internship you seek.

If you haven't already, look at the university webpages to find out more and contact them :smile:
I study BSc Physics at QMUL, and I got an internship at Lloyds Banking Group this summer - despite that I personally think you should go for Durham in this case if you are aiming for the top tier realm of banking. Not to say QMUL isnt good, but graduates dont tend to end up in top tier places like Goldman much, especially for S&T. During my internship hunt, I found myself outcompeted by other students from universities such as Bristol and Durham quite a lot - and I feel that those universities also are generally more targeted by high end employers.
Also, as Swiss said, Durham is highly accredited and well recognised - so in my opinion I would go Durham!
Reply 5
@swissariana Thank you for your answer, I'll check the University webpages again :smile:.

@Dante991 Thank you too, because I wasn't convinced by QMUL for the summer internship in IB because I saw few people in this programme on Linkedin. But don't you think that because Durham is far from London it could be more difficult for me to find a summer internship ? Maybe recruiters prefer people already in or next to london. I don't know
Reply 6
I would definitely say cass out of that list. It has best rep with IBs and is v near city of London.
Reply 7
@IPEguy Thank you for your answer.
To be honest, I think the best person for advice on this would be @Princepieman
Reply 9
If you wish to work in the top investment bank or consulting firms then I suggest you apply to target uni like LBS Oxbridge LSE UCL Warwick.

Of your choices I'd cross out Loughborough first. QMUL and CASS are good due to being in London but still below LSE LBS UCL or KCL. Bristol and Durham are great but it would be worthwhile applying for those target uni first.
Reply 10
So I'm waiting for your answer @Princepieman :smile:.

@Sammy2534 Thanks for your answer. Regarding the target school, I apply to UCL and Imperial too. I'm waiting for their feedback. I heard KCL isn't a target school, maybe after :
1st : LBS, LSE, UCL, ICL, Oxbridge...
2nd : Durham, Cass,...
3rd : KCL

Is it true ?
Original post by Sony456

@Sammy2534 Thanks for your answer. Regarding the target school, I apply to UCL and Imperial too. I'm waiting for their feedback. I heard KCL isn't a target school, maybe after :

Is it true ?

For masters in finance, the main feeders are the traditional targets that have said programs (Imperial, LSE, LBS, Oxbridge, Warwick..) and the European b-schools (Bocconi, WHU, Mannheim, HEC, ESSEC, ESCP etc). After that, Cass is pretty strong for the masters in finance programmes but the rest are mostly average-ish at placement. Durham should be alright - Loughborough/QM not so much.
Reply 12
Alright, thank you for your answer @Princepieman.
Original post by Sony456

Is it true ?

Yes that's pretty true. Also you should apply to LSE and LBS as well if you're interested in one of their courses. I really wish you a successful application in all places so that you can have a wide range of wonderful choices to choose from at a final stage ^_^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending