The Student Room Group

Higher French 2016/17

Scroll to see replies

ok but how do you actually do well in listening tho??? i did terribly in the prelim, 40% (tho the highest in our school was 56%) but i need an A and im on track for that in all parts apart from listening. In practices i get 11-14 but whenever it counts for anything i have got 3-5. I know i must have around 27 in my speaking and i normally get 25 in my reading and i have been getting 14 in writing so its just listening which i really need the boost in
Reply 41
Original post by tessglasgow
ok but how do you actually do well in listening tho??? i did terribly in the prelim, 40% (tho the highest in our school was 56%) but i need an A and im on track for that in all parts apart from listening. In practices i get 11-14 but whenever it counts for anything i have got 3-5. I know i must have around 27 in my speaking and i normally get 25 in my reading and i have been getting 14 in writing so its just listening which i really need the boost in

It seems like you do very well in the other areas- this should mean you can afford to drop a few marks in the listening. I would recommend listening to lots of French things (programmes, music, film...) but with one full day until the exam, not likely. If you get these marks on the final exam, you would only need about ten marks and still get an A2.

When you're in the exam, I'd suggest writing down any words you are not familiar with that you hear, and then look them up in the dictionary between playings. Personally, what I do to save time is only write half the answer down on first go, so I can then fill it in properly later, so I don't miss anything because I'm concentrating on writing my answers down.

Someone else will probably have better advice than this, but I just hope it goes well for you on Monday. Bonne chance !
Reply 42
TWO DAYS TO GO!

How is everyone feeling? Excited? Nervous? Terrified?

Are you all prepared?

Je voudrais dire seulement que je vous souhaite un bon examen!

* B O N N E C H A N C E T O U T L E M O N D E ! *
Reply 43
What percentage do i need to get and A or B
Original post by ___Sophie___

I would not aim for 20/20 btw very few people do that well, very few people even get over 17. So getting anywhere from 12-15 I would say is a perfectly good mark :smile:

Is that true? I didn't know that haha it's very rare for someone in my class to get below 19/20 and I always get about 13 and feel stupid lol
Does anyone have any tips for the personal response ? I genuinely just can't seem to write down accurate French for it and I don't know what to do
Reply 46
Original post by ruthmckay00
Does anyone have any tips for the personal response ? I genuinely just can't seem to write down accurate French for it and I don't know what to do

Is that the short essay after listening?
any predictions for personal response?(essay after listening)
Reply 48
Original post by claraoswald11
any predictions for personal response?(essay after listening)

I think it might be importance of technology in your life and possibly dangers. I've looked through past papers all the way back to 2000 and it hasn't came up yet!
Original post by ruthmckay00
Is that true? I didn't know that haha it's very rare for someone in my class to get below 19/20 and I always get about 13 and feel stupid lol

Yeah lol it's definetly not like that at my school and my class is predicted to mostly get A's. 13 is a perfectly good mark and won't stop you from getting an A
I'm so scared for this 😑😅 I've no where near revised enough the last few days but I feel like this subject you can't cram for you just have to rely on the work you've done over the year and your knowledge
bless the sqa for that exam
How did everyone find the exam???
i loved the exam it was so easy
What did you guys find trickiest? I found some parts of the reading a little strange to translate and item 2 of the listening a little difficult. Any one pick the employability scenario?
Also does anyone have the reading paper?
Original post by claraoswald11
What did you guys find trickiest? I found some parts of the reading a little strange to translate and item 2 of the listening a little difficult. Any one pick the employability scenario?

i did that scenario, i found it fine but the last bullet point was a bit strange but i managed it, but idk how accurate it is
I, and most my school, found it really easy, few parts of the listening were difficult but that was about it. Glad its over now though
I thought the listening was easy but there was no room to write all the answer on the paper !? Mines is all crammed up the sides
Also for the personal response I just wrote I prefer going on holiday with my parents , last year we... and wrote out my directed writing 😅

Quick Reply

Latest