The Student Room Group

AQA AS Law - 16th & 19th May

Couldn't find a thread for it so I thought I'd make one.

Anyone else doing these exams? How's your revision coming along?

Scroll to see replies

So I chose to retake just the Unit 2 paper to get a higher grade, I've currently been focusing on Unit 3 (A2) which is closely linked with Unit 2 but from now till the 19th my focus will move to unit 2, I actually have decent notes on Tort of Negligence / Causation if anyone would like to use them.
Currently resisting Unit 1 Law as spooned it last year, but did ok in Unit 2, anyone got any predictions on what might come up this yer??
Original post by DoctorDan
I have predictions for Parliamentary Law Making, Delegated Legislation and Criminal Courts and Lay People if these are of any interest to you?

I'm doing criminal courts and lay people so any ideas you have on them would be much appreciated
Original post by CHarrisMedia
So I chose to retake just the Unit 2 paper to get a higher grade, I've currently been focusing on Unit 3 (A2) which is closely linked with Unit 2 but from now till the 19th my focus will move to unit 2, I actually have decent notes on Tort of Negligence / Causation if anyone would like to use them.

Can I have them please?

I'm self teaching so I'd appreciate it alot.
I'm stresseed AF for these two exams rn -_-
Criminal Courts and Lay People (Disclaimer, this are a harder topic to predict):
Question 1 - So last year the question focused on trial/appeal courts and types of cases dealt with by the courts. So this year for the first question on this topic it could be one focused on Jury/Magistrates qualifications, training and selection.

Question 2 - Last year the second question of this topic focused on the qualification and training of lay magistrates. A question on the role of the jury or Magistrates' duties is a prediction for this year. In the 2013 paper the qualification and selection of jurors also came up as the second question on this topic as well meaning there is a chance that it could also be the question for this year.

Question 3 - Always focuses on the advantages and disadvantages of lay persons. Last year they asked about the disadvantages of lay persons. AQA can give you a choice between jurors or magistrates and usually ask you to specifically talk about either advantages of disadvantages. I predict that the question for this year could be an advantages of lay persons question which either gives us a choice of discussing those of jurors or magistrates or forces us to reference to both magistrates and jurors.

Thanks a lot ill make sure i have those topics down to a tee, looking through past papers i would be surprised if the role of lay persons didn't come up, thanks a lot for your predictions
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I'm stresseed AF for these two exams rn -_-

They are literally the biggest ball ache of exams, but like once you have the knowledge its just down to time management
Original post by parkinson98
They are literally the biggest ball ache of exams, but like once you have the knowledge its just down to time management

I've got most of the knowledge for unit 1 over with , civil courts and ADR is a bit of a biatch tbh. But I'll be done by the time I go to bed. I'm just spend a lot of time practising tomorrow and monday. Hopefully I'll be fine -_-

Unit 2 though, arghhh :redface:
I've got most of the knowledge for unit 1 over with , civil courts and ADR is a bit of a biatch tbh. But I'll be done by the time I go to bed. I'm just spend a lot of time practising tomorrow and monday. Hopefully I'll be fine -_-

Unit 2 though, arghhh :redface:

Haha Unit 2 is more application i guess which is a bit long, got 84 in that last year, but spooned my unit 1 as think i was way too brief with my answers, just a piece of **** exam in general tbh
Original post by parkinson98
Haha Unit 2 is more application i guess which is a bit long, got 84 in that last year, but spooned my unit 1 as think i was way too brief with my answers, just a piece of **** exam in general tbh

What do you mean by two brief? Not enough cases/illustrations to back up your points?
What do you mean by two brief? Not enough cases/illustrations to back up your points?

Like got all the right points down but didn't use a PEE structure on my evaluation and yeah only used one case in each answer
Original post by CHarrisMedia

Hey,

could you send me the law notes on tort please???

Thankyou!!!
Reply 13
I have predictions for Parliamentary Law Making, Delegated Legislation and Criminal Courts and Lay People if these are of any interest to you?

Could you say your predictions for parliamentary law making and delegated legislation please!
Can anyone offer some guidance on civil courts and appeal process?
Has anyone got any cases for parliamentary controls, because I cant find any. Or do we not need to know any?
Can anyone offer some guidance on civil courts and appeal process?

I doubt there will be a question of the court strcuture this year, as the exam board are aware that the track limits and claims for courts are changing, so now High Courts may deal with claims over 100k I think and anything less would go to the County Court.
Original post by hereiseverything
Has anyone got any cases for parliamentary controls, because I cant find any. Or do we not need to know any?

Last year they did Parliamentary Controls so I doubt it will come up as they like to alternate each year.
The only two I can think of anyway is the Human Rights Act 1998 (for Positive resolution procedure) and the Statutory Instrument Act 1946 which provides a defence to someone in breach of a Statutory Instrument if it has not been issued.
Original post by Spectre2000
Last year they did Parliamentary Controls so I doubt it will come up as they like to alternate each year.
The only two I can think of anyway is the Human Rights Act 1998 (for Positive resolution procedure) and the Statutory Instrument Act 1946 which provides a defence to someone in breach of a Statutory Instrument if it has not been issued.

That's great, thank you! I though that it would probably be judicial controls but better safe than sorry
Original post by x_Megan_xo
I doubt there will be a question of the court strcuture this year, as the exam board are aware that the track limits and claims for courts are changing, so now High Courts may deal with claims over 100k I think and anything less would go to the County Court.

This is confusing me :frown: Where could I get this updated info, my research isn't amounting to anything -__-

Quick Reply