The Student Room Group

igcse edexcel biology

please post an unofficial mark scheme of biology 2017 Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 1
Original post by anniewannie
please post an unofficial mark scheme of biology 2017 Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just did the paper, any specific questions you need an answer to?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Reply 3
Please can you send it to me privately I can't find it
Please give the full markscheme
Reply 5
I meant I just did the paper (not a mark scheme). I can't remember each question, but if you have any questions I can help :smile:
Reply 6
What was the hardest ?
Reply 7
Question 1 was about how sunlight affects plant growth, so you should answer regarding photosynthesis and how it produces glucose, which is used in respiration to make energy. The next bit was two other abiotic factors affecting plants, so I said temperature and mineral ions but you could put CO2 levels or humidity too.

The graph question was a line graph with two sets of data (about the % of crops that were genetically modified per year), so you had to draw both. The scale was quite evil, as each date increased by 4 years but the last one increased by only 2 so I think they were trying to catch people out. You should have drawn one line for GM corn and one for GM soybeans, with a key showing which was which. The relation between the two was that soybeans increased at a much faster rate initially, but plateaued after 2008, whereas corn increased at a slow pace initially but then rose much faster after 2004.

There was a question about the female reproductive system, you had to mark with an X the location where fertilisation occurs - this should be in a fallopian tube (oviduct). You also had to describe two functions of the vagina during reproduction - one is that the penis goes in and ejaculates semen in it, and the other is that it is the birth cannel.

One of the harder questions was about urine tests. One person tested negative for glucose and protein, one tested positive for glucose and one tested positive for protein, and you had to explain why. The protein guy had high blood pressure, so the large insoluble protein molecules were forced out of the glomerulus (ultrafiltration) into the bowman's capsule. The glucose guy had diabetes, so lacked the insulin needed for glucose to be selectively reabsorbed into the blood. It then asked why the teacher used fake urine instead of real urine - this is because real urine could spread disease if it is ingested or if it enters an open wound.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head, if you guys remember any more questions I'll try to answer :smile:
Anything about smoking, pesticides or fish farming? If so what?
Pretty sure marking the X was on the graph for CO2 limiting factors not for where fertilisation occurs..?
Reply 10
Questions:

- Why do females have a higher chance of having anaemia than males?

- Why do people want to reduce Carbon Dioxide emissions more than Water vapor?

- Methane has a higher radiative efficiency of 72, double of Carbon Dioxide but why is Carbon Dioxide _______ (I forgot what this is)

- Hay Fever, why is this likely to be a pollen from a wind - pollinated plant than insect - pollinated plant?

- How does Adrenaline help exercise?

- How can she change the apparatus to vary the temperatures more? (production of carbon dioxide from yeast)

- Why does low temperatures decrease Carbon Dioxide production in yeast?

- Why does less energy get passed on from the rabbit (an animal) to the snake?

- Name two effects that increase in greenhouse gas will have on animal's habitat

- What is the definition of genetically modified?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
How did you guys find this Exam? Many people said it was easy but the calculations were difficult, especially in the first question
Original post by undefeated2612
Pretty sure marking the X was on the graph for CO2 limiting factors not for where fertilisation occurs..?

Sorry, but there were two questions that required an X. One was the CO2 question, and later there was one about fertilisation.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by K295
Questions:

- Methane has a higher radiative efficiency of 72, double of Carbon Dioxide but why is Carbon Dioxide _______ (I forgot what this is)

- Hay Fever, why is this likely to be a pollen from a wind - pollinated plant than insect - pollinated plant?

- How can she change the apparatus to vary the temperatures more? (production of carbon dioxide from yeast)

- Name two effects that increase in greenhouse gas will have on animal's habitat

It was "why is carbon dioxide a bigger cause of global warming" or something to that effect - it is because it is in greater abundance, due to being produced during respiration by every living creature.
Original post by K295
Questions:

Answering in order:

1. Because females lose blood through menstruation.

2. Because water vapour cannot be removed from the atmosphere (it is there due to the water cycle and we cannot stop that) but preventative measures can be taken against CO2 (eg: reduce burning fossil fuels)

3. Because there is a greater overall amount of CO2 in the atmosphere (every living being produces it through respiration)

4. Because wind pollinated plants have small, buoyant pollen grains designed to be carried by the wind, making them easier to inhale.

5. Adrenaline increases heart rate and breathing rate. Increased heart rate means more blood pumped to the muscle cells, so more oxygen for aerobic respiration + more energy produced. Increased breathing rate means more gas exchange - more oxygen for respiration, and removal of carbon dioxide. It also breaks down lactic acid and repays the oxygen debt.

6. She can put the flask in a hot water bath to raise the temperature, or an ice bath to lower it. Measure the movement of the ink dot (carbon dioxide produced) in x minutes and compare at different temperatures.

7. Some energy is lost as heat, or through respiration. Some is also lost as the organisms egest undigested food, thus losing its potential energy. Also the organism might not eat the whole of the other organism (eg: not eating the roots of the wheat plant) so they don't ingest its entirely.
8. This one confused me, but I think it's rising temperatures and flooding (from melted ice caps). You could also discuss harm to the food chain or mass migration of pests I think.

9. Genetically modified = an organism containing genetic material that has been artificially altered by humans so as to produce a desired characteristic.

:smile:
Was this a multiple choice question paper? I'm doing CIE Biology and have no clue how to solve problems like 'Why do females have a higher chance of having anaemia than males?'. Did you have the answer to this question in your syllabus?
Original post by esrever
Was this a multiple choice question paper? I'm doing CIE Biology and have no clue how to solve problems like 'Why do females have a higher chance of having anaemia than males?'. Did you have the answer to this question in your syllabus?

No, not a multiple choice paper. It is very similar to your exam, just a slightly different syllabus.
The anaemia question was about inference, but the fact that females need more iron than men due to menstruation is on the syllabus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending