The Student Room Group

Edexcel Mathematics: Core C1 6663 17th May 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsamor
Well bear in mind that I'm resitting alongside my a2 subjects lol so I haven't done all the papers at least again (as I did them last year for practise) I have done questions from each topic and like around 4 whole papers but that's all :smile:

I am also resiting C1 C2 and M1 which were my AS maths modules.(my school is making everyine doing A2 maths resit their AS modules)...only started C1 Revison a week ago( as only was told last week aswell). I am kinda scared as I flopped last year and want to get 70+UMS this year - plus getting the grades for uni...so just been practising practising practising.... but i am not confident
(edited 6 years ago)
Any proof questions you need to know for c1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shadowfire123
I am also resiting C1 C2 and M1 which were my AS maths modules.(my school is making everyine doing A2 maths resit their AS modules)...only started C1 Revison a week ago( as only was told last week aswell). I am kinda scared as I flopped last year and want to get 70+UMS this year - plus getting the grades for uni...so just been practising practising practising.... but i am not confident

Well given you were only told a week ago I understand your stress! I am resitting c2 as well. And I need the same ums, I know you're not confident but I think if you have been practising you got this!
http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/C1/Papers-Edexcel/January%202006%20QP%20-%20C1%20Edexcel.pdf

January 2006 Q9 find the exact area of R. I get it having looked at the solution but why and how else could they disguise this question
http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/C1/Papers-Edexcel/January%202006%20QP%20-%20C1%20Edexcel.pdf

January 2006 Q9 find the exact area of R. I get it having looked at the solution but why and how else could they disguise this question

9 doesn't ask for area?
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
9 doesn't ask for area?

Ah my phone keeps freezing I meant coordinates
Ah my phone keeps freezing I meant coordinates

Okay, first it mentions parallel to the tangent at a given point, so it's practically screaming out about gradients and two gradients being equal.

So now you have to ask yourself, what is actually the gradient at the given point?

Hang on a minute, you've calculated the gradient function in a previous part so there must be a link here (always look for links in multi part questions)

So at x = -1, what is the gradient and where else is the gradient the same as af x=-1?

Great, you've found that other x value and now you just need to find the y value by putting it into f(x)

That is the thought process ideally you should go through when answering this question.
Okay, first it mentions parallel to the tangent at a given point, so it's practically screaming out about gradients and two gradients being equal.

So now you have to ask yourself, what is actually the gradient at the given point?

Hang on a minute, you've calculated the gradient function in a previous part so there must be a link here (always look for links in multi part questions)

So at x = -1, what is the gradient and where else is the gradient the same as af x=-1?

Great, you've found that other x value and now you just need to find the y value by putting it into f(x)

That is the thought process ideally you should go through when answering this question.

ah okay so the other value is x=5/3 why do we sub it into f(x) = (x-1)(x^2-4) and not the equation at the tangent ? Just trying to understand haha:colondollar:
ah okay so the other value is x=5/3 why do we sub it into f(x) = (x-1)(x^2-4) and not the equation at the tangent ? Just trying to understand haha:colondollar:

It would work if you had the equation of the tangent at R, but I don't think that's something you have
It would work if you had the equation of the tangent at R, but I don't think that's something you have

Thank you I think this is just an area that I have forgotten :/

All you need to take away is that R is the point on the line, you have the x value and the equation so to find the y value you put x into the equation.

yea I had another A level exam the week before so I was not in lesson therefore they could not tell me beforehand so I am stressed...hopefully edexcel show mercy as it is the final year of resitting C1 C2 and other modules....new spec in for Maths in September 2017

do the recent papers 2011,2012,2013,2014 etc
yea I had another A level exam the week before so I was not in lesson therefore they could not tell me beforehand so I am stressed...hopefully edexcel show mercy as it is the final year of resitting C1 C2 and other modules....new spec in for Maths in September 2017

It's my first year of c1 and c2 and m1, will there be no more resits after?

Also could any answer this one? I'm getting a bit confused on the final answer as it's not coming out correctly.
Attachment not found

2x⁴+14x²+24
(edited 6 years ago)

Yeah I think I'm gonna do that! Good luck :h:
Original post by JaimeJamerson

Also could any answer this one? I'm getting a bit confused on the final answer as it's not coming out correctly.
Attachment not found

2x⁴+14x²+24

I cant see the attachment but you wrote the qs
fist take divide it by 2 and take out one X

yea no more resits...last paper for As modules...as the new spec is taking over there will be no one taking the old one
you are the last year to do the OLD AS Maths...gd luck
[QUOTE="Shadowfire123;71463096"]

yea no more resits...last paper for As modules...as the new spec is taking over there will be no one taking the old one
you are the last year to do the OLD AS Maths...gd luck

Thanks... stressed me out more lol. So it also means if I want to resit the modules I can't...
Will it be possible to then just do the new specification? at the end of two years or is it quite different.
Yeah I think I'm gonna do that! Good luck :h:

Haha Thank you

Your TSR name is mad
what other A level do ytou do apart from Maths?
[QUOTE="JaimeJamerson;71463178"]

Thanks... stressed me out more lol. So it also means if I want to resit the modules I can't...
Will it be possible to then just do the new specification? at the end of two years or is it quite different.

Sorry...my teacher said the new spec is WAY WAY WAY HARDER THAN OUR SPEC
there is no mudular meaning one massive exam with everything in it at the end of the 2 years

so if you fail you have no A levels at the end and you cant retake or resit as that means you have to do 4 years
(edited 6 years ago)
[QUOTE="Shadowfire123;71463258"]

Sorry...my teacher said the new spec is WAY WAY WAY HARDER THAN OUR SPEC
there is no mudular meaning one massive exam with everything in it at the end of the 2 years

so if you fail you have no A levels at the end and you cant retake or resit as that means you have to do 4 years

Oh god really?

My tutor told me not to worry as there would be resit available in summer 2019 for us, but I dont want to call him now to just check...
It also says 2019 summer here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/timings-for-the-withdrawal-of-legacy-gcses-as-and-a-levels
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending