The Student Room Group

Surds

Someone please explain to me how to do surds - I just don't get it.
My dad's dad was a mathematician and my dad doesn't get it either so like help 😂
Perhaps post a question you found hard?
Literally everything for IGCSE maths (higher tier, Edexcel)
Original post by Ellen Ringrose
Literally everything for IGCSE maths (higher tier, Edexcel)

Oh, we're doing the same exam board :smile: at least from what I've seen Edexcel IGCSE surds questions are just about applying rules. The most important one is probably ab=ab\sqrt{ab} = \sqrt{a} * \sqrt{b} (e.g. 27=39=33\sqrt{27} = \sqrt{3} * \sqrt{9} = 3\sqrt{3}) since you can usually use that rule to simplify surds, which comes up on its own and as part of expanding brackets/proof-like surd questions. The other thing that comes up is rationalising the denominator, which is basically just multiplying it such that the denominator gets squared/cancelled-out and thus becomes rational. For example, if your fraction were 72\frac{7}{\sqrt{2}} you would multiply it by 22\frac{\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{2}} so that the denominator gets squared and becomes 2. If you had a denominator like 3+23 + \sqrt{2} containing a rational number, you would have to multiply it by 323 - \sqrt{2}, switching the signs in the same way as you would in a difference of two squares equation.

Does that help? If there's anything more specific or a certain question you're having trouble with, let me know.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Sonechka
Oh, we're doing the same exam board :smile: at least from what I've seen Edexcel IGCSE surds questions are just about applying rules. The most important one is probably ab=ab\sqrt{ab} = \sqrt{a} * \sqrt{b} (e.g. 27=39=33\sqrt{27} = \sqrt{3} * \sqrt{9} = 3\sqrt{3}) since you can usually use that rule to simplify surds, which comes up on its own and as part of expanding brackets/proof-like surd questions. The other thing that comes up is rationalising the denominator, which is basically just multiplying it such that the denominator gets squared/cancelled-out and thus becomes rational. For example, if your fraction were 72\frac{7}{\sqrt{2}} you would multiply it by 22\frac{\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{2}} so that the denominator gets squared and becomes 2. If you had a denominator like 3+23 + \sqrt{2} containing a rational number, you would have to multiply it by 323 - \sqrt{2}, switching the signs in the same way as you would in a difference of two squares equation.

Does that help? If there's anything more specific or a certain question you're having trouble with, let me know.

Thank you so so much!!! <3

Quick Reply

Latest