The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

UCL or Durham for Law?

I firmed Durham but could still technically change to UCL in the next two days. I mainly chose Durham because I preferred the collegiate system and overall environment.

I think that both universities would offer good foundations for a career in law. However, I understand that UCL is possibly slightly more well-respected domestically, and that it has a better reputation internationally.

Furthermore, my main interest in law is legal theory, which surprisingly doesn't seem to be a module offered at undergrad at Durham, whereas it's compulsory at UCL. I wouldn't choose one university over the other on the basis of a single module, but wasn't sure if this indicated that the slant at UCL was more theoretical overall.

In saying this, I do really like Durham. I did see a report by Chambers that suggested that Durham was the third most well-recruited university in the country when it came to training contracts, which would also suggest I wouldn't be disadvantaged majorly if I attended Durham over UCL.

I wasn't sure if anyone here could attest to how big a reputation gap exists between Durham and UCL careers-wise, or the emphasis on legal theory at either university, or could just give general advice on my dilemma. Thanks!
For legal theory, look if Durham offer a module on Jurisprudence, as it's within the same realm.

At Durham the collegiate setup is more glorified halls of residence than an actual Oxbridge collegiate setup. They're both well regarded, UCL has the benefit of being in London already which makes going to interviews/assessment days/networking events etc easier, as well as fitting in more conveniently for summer placements/mini-pupillages (as you wouldn't need to figure out your living situation then).

As you noted however, they're both "target" universities so it's really up to your personal preferences. If you haven't already, you should visit the unis.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
UCL all day
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
For legal theory, look if Durham offer a module on Jurisprudence, as it's within the same realm.

At Durham the collegiate setup is more glorified halls of residence than an actual Oxbridge collegiate setup. They're both well regarded, UCL has the benefit of being in London already which makes going to interviews/assessment days/networking events etc easier, as well as fitting in more conveniently for summer placements/mini-pupillages (as you wouldn't need to figure out your living situation then).

As you noted however, they're both "target" universities so it's really up to your personal preferences. If you haven't already, you should visit the unis.

I don't believe Durham offers anything with respect to legal theory unfortunately - it is not shown on the course summary online, at the very least. Someone on another board mentioned that it used to be included in the legal skills module, but from what I can see from that module's description, this may not be the case currently.

While I understand there is no teaching at colleges in Durham, I do think they help foster quite nice communities to live in with their own sports teams and societies and what not, as well as other conveniences like a gym, bar, and library at the college etc. I also know you can move back in for your third year which might be convenient. I visited both, and essentially the college environment initially pushed me towards Durham, as I did think that living in London seemed a little isolating.

UCL's proximity is big firms is definitely a plus. I had heard however that firms will pay for your train down from Durham for assessment days, and will often travel up to Durham to interview people. I also hoped that the cheaper cost of living in Durham would mitigate any additional costs from having to travel to London for insight days or vacation schemes etc. Still, I think it's definitely an advantage UCL has over Durham whichever way you look at it.

I was more concerned about any potential disparity in reputation/employment prospects between UCL and Durham, but if the consensus seems to be that there is little difference I will probably stay with Durham.
Reply 4
Original post by citibankrec
UCL all day

Any particular reason why?
Original post by Natalie1315
I don't believe Durham offers anything with respect to legal theory unfortunately - it is not shown on the course summary online, at the very least. Someone on another board mentioned that it used to be included in the legal skills module, but from what I can see from that module's description, this may not be the case currently.

While I understand there is no teaching at colleges in Durham, I do think they help foster quite nice communities to live in with their own sports teams and societies and what not, as well as other conveniences like a gym, bar, and library at the college etc. I also know you can move back in for your third year which might be convenient. I visited both, and essentially the college environment initially pushed me towards Durham, as I did think that living in London seemed a little isolating.

UCL's proximity is big firms is definitely a plus. I had heard however that firms will pay for your train down from Durham for assessment days, and will often travel up to Durham to interview people. I also hoped that the cheaper cost of living in Durham would mitigate any additional costs from having to travel to London for insight days or vacation schemes etc. Still, I think it's definitely an advantage UCL has over Durham whichever way you look at it.

I was more concerned about any potential disparity in reputation/employment prospects between UCL and Durham, but if the consensus seems to be that there is little difference I will probably stay with Durham.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handbook/module_search/?year=2017&search_dept=LAW&search_level=-1

Durham offers Jurisprudence, Comparative Constitutional Law, Law and History and Law and Literature as a few of the more theoretical options.
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
https://www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handbook/module_search/?year=2017&search_dept=LAW&search_level=-1

Durham offers Jurisprudence, Comparative Constitutional Law, Law and History and Law and Literature as a few of the more theoretical options.

Ah so it does - I had missed that as it wasn't included on the course summary module list. Good to hear though!

Quick Reply

Latest