The Student Room Group

Edexcel Mathematics: Core C1 6663 17th May 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsamor
Econ exams are in June with the rest of my A2s :smile: Economics at SOAS, hby?

SOAS???

Engineering at Herts for me
Looking forward to tomorrow with open arms.
So everyone is ready for C1 I'm presuming, and what is the best revision to do today for C1 (one day before the exam) ?
Original post by thehaskone
So everyone is ready for C1 I'm presuming, and what is the best revision to do today for C1 (one day before the exam) ?

You should be ready, good luck

keep practising I have started doing the bronze/silver/gold papers (edexcel) from PMT
od

or you can practise Question by Topics past papers
(edited 6 years ago)
I did this mock paper and i got like 57
anyone else wanna try it and tell me because i feel like its wayyy harder than usual. usually I get around 67-72.
http://onmaths.com/mock_exams/edexcel-c1-a-level-2017-prediction/
Original post by student004
I did this mock paper and i got like 57
anyone else wanna try it and tell me because i feel like its wayyy harder than usual. usually I get around 67-72.
http://onmaths.com/mock_exams/edexcel-c1-a-level-2017-prediction/

I will have a go - i might have done it before (im not sure) 57 is a B i think
Original post by Shadowfire123

Yeah i really want an A
Original post by Chittesh14
Welcome to the massive C1/C2 preperation thread for Edexcel, though other exam boards or students can use it for practice. The reason why I didn't include OCR or other exam boards is because they may have some different topics that are not tested in the Edexcel syllabus, however - for the exam boards, most of the topics are the same!

This is the place to discuss, post problems, or ask any questions you may have regarding the exam!

If your post or question gets missed or no one replies to it, you can ask these people individually who are willing to help: @Cryptokyo @Zacken @crashMATHS @RDKGames @B_9710 @xzh

If anyone would like to be tagged in this thread (helpers) who are willing to help students with problems, can they please quote me and I'll tag them at the start of the post so people know who to tag if this thread ever becomes inactive.

In essence, I would really like students to post the most difficult questions they've encountered or tricky ones (with confusing wording) or ones that are not straightforward because these are the ones which often make a student panic - simply because they don't understand the content well enough or are unsure about how to answer the question due to its style.

CAN PEOPLE PLEASE POST LINKS TO REVISION RESOURCES OR ANY SPECIAL PAPERS THEY HAVE (EXCEPT EDEXCEL OR OTHER EXAM BOARDS C1 2016 FOR NOW) OR ANY MATERIALS THAT WOULD CONTRIBUTE TO THE THREAD. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

Edexcel C1 Exam Date - 17 MAY 2017
Edexcel C2 Exam Date - 24 MAY 2017

Revision Resources:

Exam Solutions C1 Videos
Exam Solutions C1 Papers
crashMATHS Practice Papers (credit to @crashMATHS )
Edexcel A-level Maths Section (past papers, specification etc)
Various C1 resources
Various C2 resources
M4ths
Khan Academy (generalised, you have to search for topics)
Daily revision sheets for C1 (complete one per day, each sheet dated)
Maths videos by Jayates
MyMaths
MrBartonMaths C1
MrBartonMaths C2

Credit to @Cryptokyo for this excellent resource, also attached in this post too.

All the formula/rules for Edexcel C1:

The formulae highlighted in red are the ones given to you in the formulae booklet, the rest you have to memorise - no excuses because I have noted down all the laws and necessary formulae that you are required to know in C1.
Basic laws

aman=am+n \displaystyle a^m \cdot a^n = a^{m+n}

aman=amn\displaystyle \frac{a^m}{a^n}=a^{m-n}

(am)n=amn\displaystyle (a^m)^n = a^{mn}

am=1am\displaystyle a^{-m}=\frac{1}{a^m}

a1m=am\displaystyle a^{\frac{1}{m}}=\sqrt[m]{a}

anm=anm\displaystyle a^{\frac{n}{m}}=\sqrt[m]{a^n}

a0=1\displaystyle a^0=1

x2y2=(x+y)(xy)\displaystyle x^2-y^2=(x+y)(x-y) - difference of two squares

ab=ab\displaystyle \sqrt{ab}=\sqrt{a} \cdot \sqrt{b}

ab=ab\displaystyle \sqrt{ \frac{a}{b}}=\frac{ \sqrt{a} }{ \sqrt{b} }

Rationalising the denominator involving surds:

1a=1a=1aaa=aa\displaystyle \sqrt{\frac{1}{a}}=\frac{1}{ \sqrt{a} }=\frac{1}{ \sqrt{a} }\cdot \frac{\sqrt{a}}{\sqrt{a}}=\frac{ \sqrt{a} }{a}

Quadratics:

x2+bx=(x+b2)2(b2)2 \displaystyle x^2+bx=(x+\frac{b}{2})^2-(\frac{b}{2})^2 (completing the square)

Solutions to ax2+bx+c=0ax^2+bx+c=0 are given by x=b±b24ac2a\displaystyle x=\frac{-b\pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a} (quadratic formula)

The discriminant of the quadratic formula is b24ac=Δb^2-4ac = \Delta and if:-
Δ<0\Delta < 0 \Rightarrow no real roots
Δ=0\Delta = 0 \Rightarrow repeated real roots (or a single root)
Δ>0\Delta > 0 \Rightarrow 2 distinct real roots

You should know the transformations of graphs.

Equations of a straight line:

A line passing through (x1,y1)(x_1, y_1) and (x2,y2)(x_2,y_2) has equation yy1=m(xx1)y-y_1=m(x-x_1) where m=y2y1x2x1\displaystyle m=\frac{y_2-y_1}{x_2-x_1}

Different forms include y=mx+cy=mx+c, ax+by+c=0ax+by+c=0 and yy1y2y1=xx1x2x1\displaystyle \frac{y-y_1}{y_2-y_1}=\frac{x-x_1}{x_2-x_1}

Parallel lines have the same gradient. The product of the gradients of two lines which are perpendicular to one another is -1.
Perpendicular lines have gradients -1/m.

Gradient of a line: m = y2y1x2x1\frac {y2 - y1}{x2-x1} - difference in y coordinates / difference in x coordinates

Sequences:

The nthn^{th} term of an arithmetic sequence, unu_n, with first term aa and common difference dd is given by un=a+(n1)du_n=a+(n-1)d

The sum of the first nn terms of an arithmetic sequence,SnS_n, is given by Sn=n2[2a+(n1)d]=n2[a+L]S_n=\frac{n}{2}[2a+(n-1)d]=\frac{n}{2}[a+L] where LL is the final term.

I cannot highlight this due to some latex problem, but: Sn=n2[2a+(n1)d]S_n=\frac{n}{2}[2a+(n-1)d] is given in the formulae booklet, whereas \frac{n}{2}[a+L]
where LL is the final term, is not.

Basic Integration/Differentiation

If y=xny=x^n such that nn is a constant, then dydx=nxn1\frac{dy}{dx}=n\cdot x^{n-1}

If y=axny=ax^n such that nn is a constant, then dydx=naxn1\frac{dy}{dx}=n\cdot ax^{n-1}

If dydx=xn\frac{dy}{dx}=x^n such that n=const.1n=\text{const.} \neq -1 then y=dydx.dx=xn.dx=xn+1n+1+cy=\int \frac{dy}{dx} .dx = \int x^n .dx = \frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1}+c where cc is a constant of integration.

If dydx=kxn\frac{dy}{dx}=kx^n such that n=const.1n=\text{const.} \neq -1 and kk is a constant, then y=dydx.dx=kxn.dx=kxn.dx=kxn+1n+1+cy=\int \frac{dy}{dx} .dx = \int kx^n .dx = k\int x^n .dx = k\cdot \frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1}+c where cc is a constant of integration.

Difficult questions:

Layout:-

Question -
Hint -
Solution - (if you want to provide it) as many people will post solutions eventually and there may be different solutions to the same question.

I'll be posting each question with a hint and solution in the spoiler so that students can attempt the question before looking at the answer. Just remember, if you directly look at the answer, you're only cheating yourself!

I would like to help :biggrin:
also i found mock papers. If you google ' C1 2017 mock paper ' and it is the first result heres the link but it isnt working http://onmaths.com/mock_exams/edexcel-c1-a-level-2017-prediction/
I did it I found it much harder than normal paper and even solomon papers so i just want people to try it and see if they also find it hard.
when do you put inequalities together or separate i.e x>3 x<9 and not 7<x>2 and vica versa
Reply 209
Original post by sfaraj
when do you put inequalities together or separate i.e x>3 x<9 and not 7<x>2 and vica versa

Most people do the following
eg 3 < x < 9 means that x is between 3 and 9
x < -2 or x > 5 means that x is less than -2 or larger than 5 (eg on the outside parts of a quadratic)
However this could be written as -2 > x > 5 (but not many write it like this)
Hope this helps
Original post by sfaraj

I believe the best way is to find the roots of your quadratic and then sketch the graph, if quadratic is <0 then its the part below the x-axis (x appears once) and if its >0 its the parts above the x-axis (x appears twice). This reverses for negative quadratics.
Hope this helps.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by sfaraj

When you have b^2 - 4ac < 0, then your values of x would be 3 < x < 9
When you have b^2 - 4ac = 0, then your values of x would be x = 3 and x = 9
When you have b^2 - 4ac > 0, then your values of x would be x < 3 or x > 9
SOAS???

Hi, I hold an unconditional offer for Mechanical Engineering at herts, not yet met anyone doing engineering! Are you a part of any of the group chats on facebook?

have you tried it. sorry for bothering u
Reply 214
Original post by student004
have you tried it. sorry for bothering u

is there a question you want to know how to do?
SOAS???

School of oriental and African studies, herts is wonderful it would have been my first choice but it didn't quite have the right kind of modules for me :h:
Who's ready for tommorow, i know i am,URAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!
(edited 6 years ago)
hi! feeling really nervous about tmrw ngl...i bunked off school today bc i don't have a maths lesson (we got study leave for end of years but not AS exams) but my wifi is down so trying to do papers off my phone
i've done solomon papers up to G and they either go really well or not so well so I'm a bit worried. gonna redo the last 5 years worth of c1 papers today but not sure what else i CAN do tbh. anyone got any last-minute revision plans?
Original post by j0shcarr
Hi, I hold an unconditional offer for Mechanical Engineering at herts, not yet met anyone doing engineering! Are you a part of any of the group chats on facebook?

Hello , nice to meet another engineer for herts - sadly I have deactivated my Facebook -couple of months ago - plus I have not joined the group ...but will join when I have reactivated after the exams.
I have applied for Aerospace Eng but might transfer to Mech
the first year is the same modules for both engineering I hear
Can someone answer me these two - one needs proper explaing, the other one is like a yes or no haha ASAP pls

1. The sum of the integers from 1 to n-1 is equal to the sum of the integers from n+1 to 49. Find n.

2. do we have to be able to square numbers to a certain dp because ive seen it in textbooks but obviously in many past papers it says surd form xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending