The Student Room Group

My girlfriend is trying to convert me to a vegetarian!

Before I started uni, I used to eat very little meat, I only ever ate it from restaurants as my parents are vegetarian. During university, I started eating meat because it was so much quicker to make and there was so much more choice.

Then I started uni, and got into a relationship in October. At first she was fine with me but now its getting ridiculous.

I had an exam today so didn't have time to make lunch, and had a chicken wrap from canteen. This was at 1pm.

When I got to hers, we were just chilling, after some time she asked me what I had for lunch.

Then she wouldnt even kiss me until I had brushed my teeth(this was like 8pm).

She has also started sending me pictures of animals before they are killed to be eaten.

What can I say/do?

I really like eating chicken . I dont have any answers to her questions when she asks me questions like "can you deal with the guilt of a that child being taken away from there parents just to be killed. If you stop eating it, then there will be less of a demand for it"

Sorry my english isn't that great, I hope this makes sense.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cpj16
Before I started uni, I used to eat very little meat, I only ever ate it from restaurants as my parents are vegetarian. During university, I started eating meat because it was so much quicker to make and there was so much more choice.

Then I started uni, and got into a relationship in October. At first she was fine with me but now its getting ridiculous.

I had an exam today so didn't have time to make lunch, and had a chicken wrap from canteen. This was at 1pm.

When I got to hers, we were just chilling, after some time she asked me what I had for lunch.

She has also started sending me pictures of animals before they are killed to be eaten.

What can I say/do?

I really like eating chicken . I dont have any answers to her questions when she asks me questions like "can you deal with the guilt of a that child being taken away from there parents just to be killed. If you stop eating it, then there will be less of a demand for it"

Nothing wrong with being a vegetarian.
Try it for a couple of weeks, and if you don't like it, apologise and resume meat eating.
a vegetarian!
If your dietary choices are going to affect how she percieves and acts around you more than anything else, don't drop meat, drop her instead.
She sounds like a f***ing nightmare, I'd get rid. If you like to eat meat and she doesn't and you doing so is repulsing her, you're not compatible and it's not going to last.
Reply 4
Original post by Nunchuck-master-2334
Nothing wrong with being a vegetarian.
Try it for a couple of weeks, and if you don't like it, apologise and resume meat eating.
a vegetarian!

My parents are indian and vegitarian, so I have been having vegetarian food from birth and I really do like it, but the problem is at uni I have to cook for myself and I don't know how to make most of the stuff they cook for me. I just find it easier and quicker to cook non-vegetarian food and I like the taste as well.

I am going back home for the summer and will definitely be eating my mum's homemade food.

Can't wait to eat real food again!
Original post by Cpj16
My parents are indian and vegitarian, so I have been having vegetarian food from birth and I really do like it, but the problem is at uni I have to cook for myself and I don't know how to make most of the stuff they cook for me. I just find it easier and quicker to cook non-vegetarian food and I like the taste as well.

I am going back home for the summer and will definitely be eating my mum's homemade food.

Can't wait to eat real food again!

use a cookbook!
Reply 6
Original post by Cpj16

What can I say/do?

She's going too far. Have you spoken to her? If no, do it. You respect her, she should you. If somebody forces you into something then it's wrong, unless you're submissive sadly...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by VinnicombeDmv
If your dietary choices are going to affect how she percieves and acts around you more than anything else, don't drop meat, drop her instead.

Original post by WoodyMKC
She sounds like a f***ing nightmare, I'd get rid. If you like to eat meat and she doesn't and you doing so is repulsing her, you're not compatible and it's not going to last.

Nahh I cant do that! I just dont know how to respond to her when shes asks me if i like eating dead animals...

use a cookbook!

Yeah using a cookbook at uni is hard, Most days I dont have the time or enegy to cook and thats what I love about chicken. You can just add some spices to it and stick it the oven and have it with some leaves. Job done
Reply 8
Original post by Cpj16

I would have ended that relationship there and then. That's what I'd advise you too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cpj16

Yeah using a cookbook at uni is hard, Most days I dont have the time or enegy to cook and thats what I love about chicken. You can just add some spices to it and stick it the oven and have it with some leaves. Job done

You can do the same with lentils, or chickpeas, or paneer. It's just about swapping that one ingredient. You can make super easy meals just with chopped tomatos, garlic, onions, spices and whatever vegetables/pulses you have to hand.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Cpj16
Nahh I cant do that! I just dont know how to respond to her when shes asks me if i like eating dead animals...

You can't respond?

You tell her exactly how good it tastes. Was she a meat eater? If yes she's a hypocrite

Posted from TSR Mobile
The problem is not her wanting you to be vegetarian, the problem is her forcing you and acting like a child about it.

I personally eat meat but hopefully one day will convert to being vegetarian and I think being vegetarian is a great thing.

But her sending you pictures of dead animals is immature and shows she is not capable of accepting people who have a slightly different view.

I'd say drop her.
Reply 12
Tell her she won't be having any of your meat if she forces you.
Reply 13
Original post by UWS
Tell her she won't be having any of your meat if she forces you.

When did you become so derteh? :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by AmeliaLost
You can do the same with lentils, or chickpeas, or paneer. It's just about swapping that one ingredient :h:

Yeah I make all of that stuff but I cant eat these 3 things every single day it gets really boring. I m not saying i ll stop being vegetarian its just that I like eating non-vegetarian food as well.

Paneer is the besttt :wink:
Original post by Cpj16

If you don't have the time or energy to prepate vegetable dishes while at uni, she needs to understand that. Plenty of people survive on ramen noodles because they don't have time or enery, I've known people to survive a day on sweets for crying out loud.

Tell her that if she wants to have this discussion when you're out of uni, then it would be acceptable; but right now it's just gonna add an unnecessary hassle to your life.
I'm a vegetarian for my own reasons, and I would never try and force anyone else to become a vegetarian. There's nothing wrong with eating meat, in fact I would say its more natural than being a vegetarian as humans are meant to be omnivores. She's being ridiculous and I think you need to sit her down and have a serious conversation. It is your choice to eat meat just as it is her choice not to, and she should respect your decision. You should explain that to her, and if she continues to act like a child about it then I would suggest you think about whether this relationship is healthy. Maybe she just doesn't realise her actions are making you uncomfortable, so she won't know unless you tell her
Original post by Cpj16

It's daft having chicken pretty much everyday though
Once she sees you aren't going to stop eating meat, I think she'll back off.
Reply 19
It's daft having chicken pretty much everyday though

obviously I dont eat it everyday :biggrin: but i dont want to stop eating it just because she doesnt like me eating it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending