The Student Room Group

18 in full time education

I am 18 and in full time education (still in sixth form). Am I entitled to free NHS dental treatment? If so then I am also entitled for free braces? I haven't had them on yet.
Original post by MarxHatesParsons
I am 18 and in full time education (still in sixth form). Am I entitled to free NHS dental treatment? If so then I am also entitled for free braces? I haven't had them on yet.

No because there is a waiting list. You will be over 18 by this time and I was refused on these grounds. I am now paying for my own this summer (I'm now 19)

Original post by ProfessorSnape
No because there is a waiting list. You will be over 18 by this time and I was refused on these grounds. I am now paying for my own this summer (I'm now 19)

Full-time education goes up to the age of 19 to combat this problem (it always has). If you're in year 13 now, the waiting list won't be so long you won't get them over summer. Don't worry.
Original post by Glassapple
Full-time education goes up to the age of 19 to combat this problem (it always has). If you're in year 13 now, the waiting list won't be so long you won't get them over summer. Don't worry.

Doubt this as I have researched everywhere and been to many dental practices. Feel free to ask around but I was not offered this when I was 18 in year 13
Doubt this as I have researched everywhere and been to many dental practices. Feel free to ask around but I was not offered this when I was 18 in year 13

'You do not have to pay for NHS dental treatment if, when your treatment starts, you are: under 18 under 19 and in full-time education'

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1786.aspx?CategoryID=68&SubCategoryID=154
OP I wish you the best of luck in your dental health. Best to ask your local dentist for advice
'You do not have to pay for NHS dental treatment if, when your treatment starts, you are: under 18 under 19 and in full-time education'

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1786.aspx?CategoryID=68&SubCategoryID=154

Blimey, my dentist has treated me unfairly then? :O

19 and I wasn't counted under full time for my dental check up.
Blimey, my dentist has treated me unfairly then? :O

Yes, you should have researched. This is the same for prescription charges as well.

Original post by Vikingninja
19 and I wasn't counted under full time for my dental check up.

Maybe the receptionist wasn't aware (or was and wanted your money), this is why you should do your own research. If you think something a bit of an 'iffy' area then it's always worth researching it and printing out the proof. Of course they're not going to make an effort to count you if you're unsure and don't say anything, they want your money. The quote is from the NHS website, you can't get any more official than that, so it's true.
(edited 6 years ago)
Yes, you should have researched. This is the same for prescription charges as well.

The receptionist probably wasn't aware, this is why you should do your own research. If you think something a bit of an 'iffy' area then it's always worth researching it and printing out the proof. Of course they're not going to make an effort to count you if you're unsure and don't say anything, they want your money.

The link you gave states under 19, I showed them my university ID card to show that I am under full time. I was told that I am not eligible.
Original post by Vikingninja
The link you gave states under 19, I showed them my university ID card to show that I am under full time. I was told that I am not eligible.

Your university ID card doesn't state full of part-time. You should have showed them your enrolment letter stating you are on a full-time degree, and a form of ID like your passport or driving liscence. You still could have argued anyway, it doesn't take five minutes to research this before your appointment.

(edited 6 years ago)
Your university ID card doesn't state full of part-time. You should have showed them your enrolment letter stating you are on a full-time degree, and a form of ID like your passport or driving liscence. You still could have argued anyway, it doesn't take five minutes to research this before your appointment.

Hey,

Thanks for the fast reponses I appreciate it. So I lied in the original post. I am currently 17 (18 in August) but I finish sixth form in 2018 so when I'm 19. Does that mean i can in fact get braces even when I'm 18-19 as long as I'm in sixth form?
Hey,

Thanks for the fast reponses I appreciate it. So I lied in the original post. I am currently 17 (18 in August) but I finish sixth form in 2018 so when I'm 19. Does that mean i can in fact get braces even when I'm 18-19 as long as I'm in sixth form?

As long as you can prove you're in full-time education when your treatment starts (which my link states), by asking your sixth form to print an enrolment letter stating you're in full-time education, with start date and estimated completion date (which they have to do if you ask them) and show it to your dentist/orthodontist, you will get free braces.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey,

You can start the treatment if you are still 18 when you make it through the waiting list.
I have a review with my dentist next Wednesday. Shall I just ask her if I can get braces? And what is the process like?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending