The Student Room Group

Edexcel Mathematics: Core C1 6663 17th May 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

anyone got qs they are stuck on ?
say it here or the qs number and what year?
happy to help :smile:
Original post by student004
I did this mock paper and i got like 57
anyone else wanna try it and tell me because i feel like its wayyy harder than usual. usually I get around 67-72.
http://onmaths.com/mock_exams/edexcel-c1-a-level-2017-prediction/

I just did it too and just found that you don't get marks for workings so lowers your score if you make one mistake
for the previous question the last term is given when you sub in 6, i.e. to get 18 Then must you use the Sn rule to get 6/2(a+L) = 3(-2+18) = 48 as your answer NOT 18?
Did an online past paper.

Keeping getting this wrong:

1. You intergrate an f'(x) to get f(x). They give you a set of coordinates to get C.

2. They then give you the equation to the normal - i.e 6y + x = 0. Then they tell you to find the coordinate of T.

I have been trying to do it where I get the gradient of -1/6 of the normal and make it equal to the differentiated formula to try and solve for x. This didnt work.

I then tried to make the intergrated formula equal y which is -1/6x , rearrange, then differentiate and try to factorise. No luck.

Do I need to make -1/6 equal 6? Then what?? :frown:
Original post by siobhanx13
I just did it too and just found that you don't get marks for workings so lowers your score if you make one mistake

okay I'm acc less worried now :smile:
surely the sum of question is not 18!

You sub in 6 to get the last term (18) and follow through with Sn= n/2 (a+L)

with a given as subbing in 1 into the expression

Anyone confirm?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by student004
okay I'm acc less worried now :smile:

I simplified an answer and I got it wrong
Original post by wantodothebest

1. You intergrate an f'(x) to get f(x). They give you a set of coordinates to get C.

2. They then give you the equation to the normal - i.e 6y + x = 0. Then they tell you to find the coordinate of T.

I have been trying to do it where I get the gradient of -1/6 of the normal and make it equal to the differentiated formula to try and solve for x. This didnt work.

I then tried to make the intergrated formula equal y which is -1/6x , rearrange, then differentiate and try to factorise. No luck.

I'm actually tearing up rn
Reply 248
Original post by KimJongIan
surely the sum of question is not 18!

You sub in 6 to get the last term (18) and follow through with Sn= n/2 (a+L)

with a given as subbing in 1 into the expression

Anyone confirm?

Let me clarify
It is not an arithmetic sequence so cant use that formula.
U1 = -2
U2 = -2
U3 = 0
U4 = 4
U5 = 10
U6 = 18
So sum is 28
so it is not c1 but c2?

Send a link to the question and I'll help.
Original post by boaconstricta
Send a link to the question and I'll help.

http://onmaths.com/mock_exams/edexcel-c1-a-level-2017-prediction/
there is usually variation in the questions but the same thing basically comes up every time, usually q9-11 (I think 10) so you can just skip through until you see an intergrating one with a part C about normals
Guys how do u do asymptote questions 🙇🏾🙇🏾🙇🏾
Reply 253
Original post by KimJongIan
so it is not c1 but c2?

It is C1 I'm afraid.
On C1 there are 3 types of sequence questions
Either arithmetic sequence
OR Recurrence relations
OR a question involving sigma which may also be one of the above topics (or in this case not)
Original post by TinoTeex

I can explain it but give me a question ....

for eg
(5) (b) Write down the equations of the asymptotes of the curve C.
you will write what x=....?
Original post by Shadowfire123

(5) (b) Write down the equations of the asymptotes of the curve C.
you will write what x=....?

Does it always have to be "x=..."?

Then again, I don't know whether they would give you any horizontal ones to consider...

Original post by TinoTeex

What about them? If you mean finding them, then simply look for values where the function doesn't exist.
Original post by RDKGames
Does it always have to be "x=..."?

Then again, I don't know whether they would give you any horizontal ones to consider...

What about them? If you mean finding them, then simply look for values where the function doesn't exist.

I mean the curve didnt print of this page - it was y = x /2 graph from a gold paper - but it can be horizontal and vertical
asymptote questions
(edited 6 years ago)
I really need help, I am panicking quite a bit. If a question asks me to find the x coordinate of the normal to a curve whose equation I just intergrated... what do I do???

I thought I made the differentiated equation equal to the gradient of the normal anf factorise?? :frown: See question 10 on the
http://onmaths.com/mock_exams/edexcel-c1-a-level-2017-prediction/)
Reply 258
I really need help, I am panicking quite a bit. If a question asks me to find the x coordinate of the normal to a curve whose equation I just intergrated... what do I do???

I thought I made the differentiated equation equal to the gradient of the normal anf factorise?? :frown: See question 10 on the

cant login to question

Yes, that is what you do. I also got the online question wrong doing that method. I then tried two identical questions from real past papers and got the right answer using the same method.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending