The Student Room Group

Edexcel Mathematics: Core C1 6663 17th May 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BadgerNeer
just learn it lol

I've learnt it a while ago i was just wondering whether people thought it would come up, as it hasn't appeared in an edexcel paper since 2005.
Hey can someone explain to me part b of this question? I honestly have no idea what I have to do :frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by NRose12
find the point where l1 hits the y axis (set x as 0)

thank you love i get it now
Original post by Philip-flop
Hey can someone explain to me part b of this question? I honestly have no idea what I have to do :frown:

C1 - Crash Maths - Paper A Q4.png

First of all, the clue is simply in the question and the bases.
As you can see, 3 and 9 are linked as 9 is 323^2.
I understand why you are confused as you usually see 32x+2=923^{2x+2} = 9^2 or something like that and this time it is 1/92b61/9^{2b-6} lol.

So, what you need to understand is simply the basic indice rule of x1=1/xx^-1 = 1/x or x2=1/x2x^-2 = 1/x^2. In this case, it is 1/92b61/9^{2b-6} so that can be rewritten as 9(2b6)=962b9^{-(2b-6)} = 9^{6-2b}.

Then, I hope you can take it on from there 3a+4=962b3^{a+4} = 9^{6-2b}.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by geokid1
Thanks for that, what about b? Would you mind doing a working of that too?

No problem! Here's b:

image.jpg
Original post by Chittesh14
I understand why you are confused as you usually see 32x+2=923^{2x+2} = 9^2 or something like that and this time it is 1/92b61/9^{2b-6} lol.

So, what you need to understand is simply the basic indice rule of x1=1/xx^-1 = 1/x or x2=1/x2x^-2 = 1/x^2. In this case, it is 1/92b61/9^{2b-6} so that can be rewritten as 9(2b6)=962b9^{-(2b-6)} = 9^{6-2b}.

Thank you so much :smile: A very descriptive explanation!
Original post by Philip-flop

Sorry for the latex hassle, I'm not used to this lol.
dirty northern *******s
Original post by NRose12
I've learnt it a while ago i was just wondering whether people thought it would come up, as it hasn't appeared in an edexcel paper since 2005.

What didn't come during 2005?
Original post by Shadowfire123
I can explain it but give me a question ....

for eg
(5) (b) Write down the equations of the asymptotes of the curve C.
you will write what x=....?

Sketch the curves with the following equations:
(i) y = (x + 1)2(2 x),
(ii) y = 2/x.
On your diagram show clearly the coordinates of any points at which the curves meet the axes.
(5) (c) With reference to your diagram in part (b), state the number of real solutions to the equation (x + 1)2(2 x) = x 2. (
Original post by adnanuddin233
What didn't come during 2005?

A question asking for proof of the formula for the sum of an arithmetic series
Reply 331
Giys quick question on inequalities. How are you meant to state ur answer when say u have a qudratic curve and the questioj says state the values of x for which its > 0? I know to factorise the qudratic ad sketcy the curve, and if the questi9j asks for greater than zero id choose the outer regions if its a positive x squared curve; but how do i write the x values.

Would it be like this

-5<x<5

Or like this

X<-5 and x>5

Or this

X<-5 , x>5
Original post by Rabada
Giys quick question on inequalities. How are you meant to state ur answer when say u have a qudratic curve and the questioj says state the values of x for which its > 0? I know to factorise the qudratic ad sketcy the curve, and if the questi9j asks for greater than zero id choose the outer regions if its a positive x squared curve; but how do i write the x values.

Would it be like this

-5<x<5

Or like this

X<-5 and x>5

Or this

X<-5 , x>5

You may want to watch this... http://www.examsolutions.net/tutorials/quadratic-inequalities/?level=A-Level&board=Edexcel&module=C1&topic=1212
Original post by Rabada

Would it be like this

-5<x<5

Or like this

X<-5 and x>5

Or this

X<-5 , x>5

The first way is best, i doubt you'd lose marks for representing them the other ways though.
Original post by Rabada

Would it be like this

-5<x<5

Or like this

X<-5 and x>5

Or this

X<-5 , x>5

Either the second or third would be absolutely fine. In your first option you're saying that x is between -5 and 5 which is incorrect, as this is what it would be if x < 0. (:
Reply 335
Original post by Chittesh14

What paper is that from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 336
Original post by Rtdsv
What paper is that from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got a = -4b+8
Is that right
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rabada

Would it be like this

-5<x<5

Or like this

X<-5 and x>5

Or this

X<-5 , x>5

Make sure you're consistent with your equalities. I can see that 5<x<5 -5 < x <5 isn't the same as x<5,x>5 x<-5, x>5

Original post by NRose12
The first way is best, i doubt you'd lose marks for representing them the other ways though.

They will lose marks!! 5<x<5 -5 < x <5 isn't even the same as x<5,x>5 x<-5, x>5 .
Reply 338
Anyone mind showing a worked solution to the part b of this questions please would be much appreciated.

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by jb10101
No problem! Here's b:

image.jpg

Thank You, even though I still don't understand it haha. Does that mean I am horrific at maths, or that my maths foundation is wack?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending