The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Foundation Year Engineering/Physics/Maths/Geophysics

How hard is the first year?
How hard is it to actually get into one of the listed courses?
Thank you!
To progress into one of the listed courses, all you need to do is pass all your modules. If you fail 1 or 2 i think you can continue into your course whilst retaking them(not sure about this). Any more than two, and you have to retake the whole year. The modules are: Computer apps, mechanical science, engineering principles, electronics and electricity, maths and routes to success(this is sorta like CPSHE). For mechanics, engineering and electronics, you need only a 45% to pass. This isn't too difficult, especially if you did physics a-level. Maths is also very easy -coming from someone who lacks a maths a-level. Of all the modules, electronics and electricity is the one that students find the most difficult, so be prepared for that. Thankfully the lecturer for EE is a great guy and tries to make it as bearable as possible. On top of the modules, there is also coursework which consists of weekly labs and two formal reports based on any experiment you've done. Again, not too difficult.
In march they'll ask you what course you want to go into and if by the end of the year if you pass, you move onto that course. As long as your attendance isn't horrible, it shouldn't be too difficult.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by AdorableNigga
To progress into one of the listed courses, all you need to do is pass all your modules. If you fail 1 or 2 i think you can continue into your course whilst retaking them(not sure about this). Any more than two, and you have to retake the whole year. The modules are: Computer apps, mechanical science, engineering principles, electronics and electricity, maths and routes to success(this is sorta like CPSHE). For mechanics, engineering and electronics, you need only a 45% to pass. This isn't too difficult, especially if you did physics a-level. Maths is also very easy -coming from someone who lacks a maths a-level. Of all the modules, electronics and electricity is the one that students find the most difficult, so be prepared for that. Thankfully the lecturer for EE is a great guy and tries to make it as bearable as possible. On top of the modules, there is also coursework which consists of weekly labs and two formal reports based on any experiment you've done. Again, not too difficult.
In march they'll ask you what course you want to go into and if by the end of the year if you pass, you move onto that course. As long as your attendance isn't horrible, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it!
Reply 3
How difficult will this course be without maths or physics A-Level? Do they explain things as though you have done them at A-Level or do they cover the basics? Thanks :smile:
Original post by dht2201
How difficult will this course be without maths or physics A-Level? Do they explain things as though you have done them at A-Level or do they cover the basics? Thanks :smile:

I did not do maths or physics anything at Alevel and only got grade 5's in my GCSE's

I got an offer for physics with foundation next year so I presume they would not give me an offer if It was not possible...

So I'm hoping they not only explain things at A level but go right back to GCSE... hopefully....
Reply 5
There’s a list of maths skills that you should be familiar with before starting: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/~assets/doc/foundation-year-pre-maths-skills.pdf

Also the maths you will be required to learn can be found on the module pages.

Mathematics A: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/modules/geng0001#syllabus

Mathematics B: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/modules/geng0002#syllabus

I assume if you passed the maths assessment they send you after applying, then you should be capable of completing the rest of the course. It looks like the course will bring you up to A-Level standard. I don’t have A-Level maths either and I’m retaking my maths GCSE this year because I got a D initially :eek:.

Are you guys starting this September?
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending