The Student Room Group

Access to computing doesn't allow entry to computer science?

I've been emailing a uni I would like to attend (Loughborough), I planned to take an access to computing course with mathematics as one of the modules, I just got this response:

"I have spoken to our Admissions Tutor who has informed me that the Access to HE Computing programme you are currently studying does not contain enough Mathematics in order to be suitable for entry onto the BSc Computer Science programme.

I’m very sorry to inform you that with your current qualifications and grades the department would not be able to consider an application from you.

Apologies for this disappointing news."

How am I suppose to study computer science via access? Will any other unis accept me?
Some will, some won't. If you aren't happy with any of the universities that will accept you, then you will need to follow up your access course with a maths A level, or a foundation year. I suggest that you keep researching and emailing universities now, so that you can plan your route into the degree you want.
Original post by luck2luke
I've been emailing a uni I would like to attend (Loughborough), I planned to take an access to computing course with mathematics as one of the modules, I just got this response:

"I have spoken to our Admissions Tutor who has informed me that the Access to HE Computing programme you are currently studying does not contain enough Mathematics in order to be suitable for entry onto the BSc Computer Science programme.

I’m very sorry to inform you that with your current qualifications and grades the department would not be able to consider an application from you.

How am I suppose to study computer science via access? Will any other unis accept me?

What are the modules on the access course you're planning to do?

There are plenty of universities that do accept an access course provided it has either suitable computing or maths modules, maths being the more heavily favoured. And that includes a lot that are ranked higher than Loughborough.

My access course had 5 maths modules (integration, matrices, algorithms, number systems, and computer logic) and that's been sufficient for everyone on my course to get offers at a lot of different uni's.

Nottingham isn't far from Loughborough if geography is important for you and I got an offer for them for 30D 15M.
I had this issue as well with my subject discipline so I did an a-level along side the access course.

I think from a uni's perspective getting 45 distinction on your access to about equivalent to getting ABB on a-levels. So if a uni has a higher standard you will probably struggle.
I got offers from Leicester, Lancaster and Newcastle. My mates got offers from Leeds and with foundation years for Manchester and Sheffield.
Original post by Mozart_Wolfgang
I had this issue as well with my subject discipline so I did an a-level along side the access course.

I think from a uni's perspective getting 45 distinction on your access to about equivalent to getting ABB on a-levels. So if a uni has a higher standard you will probably struggle.

45 distinctions is equivalent to AAA in both UCAS points and relative to most university offers.

My Leeds offer is 30D 15M which isn't quite AAB equivalent (8 points short) but it's not far below, I know their web page says AAA, but students that went to the applicant day were made offers of AAB so the access and A level requirements for Leeds are near as makes no difference the same.

Same for Nottingham, entry requirements are AAA or AAB if you do A level computer science. My access offer is 30D and 15M

Liverpool was an odd one. Entry requirements are AAB for A level but 45D for access. Personally, I think they're dreaming given their ranking.
Reply 6
Original post by BigYoSpeck
What are the modules on the access course you're planning to do?

There are plenty of universities that do accept an access course provided it has either suitable computing or maths modules, maths being the more heavily favoured. And that includes a lot that are ranked higher than Loughborough.

My access course had 5 maths modules (integration, matrices, algorithms, number systems, and computer logic) and that's been sufficient for everyone on my course to get offers at a lot of different uni's.

Nottingham isn't far from Loughborough if geography is important for you and I got an offer for them for 30D 15M.

I'm not entirely sure of every module, I will have to email them, here is a link to the course I am planning to enroll on: http://www.mbro.ac.uk/home/courses/description/11380/access-to-higher-education-diploma-computing-level-3.aspx

Ive already emailed Nottingham and they said I could get in if I took a GCSE resit, but they didn't check the modules on my access course so I am concerned that they will say the same thing as Loughborough.

I don't mind not going to a top uni but I'd like to get into a half decent one without having to do a foundation year if possible.
Reply 7
Original post by JamesN88
I got offers from Leicester, Lancaster and Newcastle. My mates got offers from Leeds and with foundation years for Manchester and Sheffield.

Did you gain entry via an access course? If so which one?
Reply 8
Original post by Schadenfreude65
Some will, some won't. If you aren't happy with any of the universities that will accept you, then you will need to follow up your access course with a maths A level, or a foundation year. I suggest that you keep researching and emailing universities now, so that you can plan your route into the degree you want.

I'll be sure to email a couple more, thankyou.
Did you gain entry via an access course? If so which one?

Yeah I chose Leicester in the end.
I'm not entirely sure of every module, I will have to email them, here is a link to the course I am planning to enroll on: http://www.mbro.ac.uk/home/courses/description/11380/access-to-higher-education-diploma-computing-level-3.aspx

Ive already emailed Nottingham and they said I could get in if I took a GCSE resit, but they didn't check the modules on my access course so I am concerned that they will say the same thing as Loughborough.

I don't mind not going to a top uni but I'd like to get into a half decent one without having to do a foundation year if possible.

I'd find out from the college what the maths modules will be and how many credits of the course they will constitute.

My course as I said had 5 modules for maths which is 15 credits, only 2 of the modules were pure maths, the other 3 were applied.

I got offers from Leeds, Liverpool, Nottingham, Salford, and Sheffield. The only university that cared about the maths content of my course was Leeds who wanted distinctions in the maths modules.

Sheffield only offered me a place on the foundation year because I think they expect 18 credits in maths from an access course.I knew that when applying but took a stab at it. Waste of choice if the course doesn't have 18 credits for maths though.

I've got 3 classmates with offers for Lancaster who didn't stipulate maths requirements. You've got plenty of options, don't let a knock back from Loughborough set you back. Draw up a list of universities you're interested in, then check their entry requirements.

I've been given a conditional offer from Leeds for Chemical Engineering, as did my classmate (who received an offer from Loughborough for ChemEng). They ask for 45 distinctions though. A lot of people on my course have gotten offers from the likes of Manchester, UCL, Bristol, so the top unis do accept them. Keep in mind some of the higher ranked unis will ask for A-level Maths on top of the Access to HE Diploma, especially if your doing a maths-heavy degree such as computer science, engineering, physics, etc. The more mathematical content on your access course, the better your chances of being offered a place .
(edited 6 years ago)
I received a conditional offer in compsci from Kent on the back of an access course.. I am not too concerned about prestige as I am not going to be a lawyer. I just want the ticket and the skills.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending