The Student Room Group

Vegan sandwiches - Help wanted

What are some good vegan sandwich fillings that are cheap?

Feel free to mention vegetarian stuff. I'll attempt to veganise it

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
What are some good vegan sandwich fillings that are cheap?

Feel free to mention vegetarian stuff. I'll attempt to veganise it

you can get quorn versions of stuff like turkey slices, if you're into meat substitutes
Original post by Zargabaath
you can get quorn versions of stuff like turkey slices, if you're into meat substitutes

Oh, forgot about that. Thanks. I tried quorn years ago but hated it but may try again. Any other ideas?
Rice, yes I sound like some annoying and sarcastic ******* but whenever I've had a meal with rice and there is bread nearby I always make a rice sandwich, don't do it with plain rice because that's odd (yes I know I sound odd already). Tend to have those flavoured or ones with sauces/seasonings and I love the texture.
Reply 4
I heard peanut butter's vegan
Hummus and crunchy veg? Maybe with chilli?

I'd suggest vegan cheese, but I've tried three brands and they are not fit for human consumption.
Oh, forgot about that. Thanks. I tried quorn years ago but hated it but may try again. Any other ideas?

Can you get vegan cheese substitutes?
I sometimes make toasties with pasta sauce and cheese, you could try that without the cheese?
Original post by Vikingninja
Rice, yes I sound like some annoying and sarcastic ******* but whenever I've had a meal with rice and there is bread nearby I always make a rice sandwich, don't do it with plain rice because that's odd (yes I know I sound odd already). Tend to have those flavoured or ones with sauces/seasonings and I love the texture.

Do this, but fry the rice with tomato ketchup, ketchup rice is easy af to make and tastes really good
Original post by Vikingninja

Hmm okay. I can't see myself enjoying it but will give it ago. I tend to like weird combinations anyway like I have banana sandwiches.

Original post by OGGUS
I heard peanut butter's vegan

It certainly can be! I love the stuff.

Original post by Quantex
Hummus and crunchy veg? Maybe with chilli?
I'd suggest vegan cheese, but I've tried three brands and they are not fit for human consumption.

I'm trying guacamole this week. Maybe I'll have some tomorrow (haven't yet opened the pack). That's sort of similar to hummus.
What veg specifically would you use? Yea, chilli and paprika go well with hummus.
Yea, I've tried vegan cheese and it was disgusting. I've heard some products are better than others though. I hear Tesco has a new range of free-from cheeses which imitate the various types of dairy cheeses.

Original post by Zargabaath
Do this, but fry the rice with tomato ketchup, ketchup rice is easy af to make and tastes really good

It doesn't sound very appetising I'm afraid but I do like rice lunches :yep:.
There are loads of different brands of vegan cheese: some not so good, but some are really nice. You just need to try a few to find one you like. My favourite is Tesco smoked cheddar style.

Sliced veggie sausages (Linda McCartney red onion ones are good) are great in a sandwich, especially with caramelised onion chutney and some green stuff to make you feel virtuous. I love avocado in a sarnie, but it can be quite pricey. Sliced tofu with chilli jam is good. Health food shops usually sell Cheat'n slices (beef style, chicken style, etc) which are good with mustard, branston or horseradish and vegan mayo. Marmite is vegan, as are peanut butter and jam, vegan chocolate spread with banana, houmous (obviously), baba ghanoush, etc.

If you like curry with chicken-style pieces for dinner, you can make some extra for the next day, and mix it with a bit of vegan mayo to go in a sandwich.
Marmite <3 <3

What veg specifically would you use?

Cucumber, sliced carrot, lettuce. They complement the hummus quite well. My experience comes from such sandwiches in vegan cafes rather than preparing them myself (I'm not vegan, just lots of vegan friends).

What about bean burgers in sandwiches? They taste fine both hot and cold. I know Tesco ones are good: https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=266075169#r:sr:sr:15:1:1:51444422::c,search
(edited 6 years ago)
Hmm okay. I can't see myself enjoying it but will give it ago. I tend to like weird combinations anyway like I have banana sandwiches.

It certainly can be! I love the stuff.

I'm trying guacamole this week. Maybe I'll have some tomorrow (haven't yet opened the pack). That's sort of similar to hummus.
What veg specifically would you use? Yea, chilli and paprika go well with hummus.
Yea, I've tried vegan cheese and it was disgusting. I've heard some products are better than others though. I hear Tesco has a new range of free-from cheeses which imitate the various types of dairy cheeses.

It doesn't sound very appetising I'm afraid but I do like rice lunches :yep:.

I'll also recommend to not have the rice that has a slightly crunchy texture, the softer rice feels amazing.
Peanut butter, banana and cinnamon
Avocado and pesto (vegan variety)
Hummous and diced veg eg peppers
Marmite
Peanut butter and jam
Chickpeas and curry sauce (best in pita)
Falafel and hummus
Scrambled tofu (recipes online)
Died Tomatoes and guacamole

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
My absolute favourite is roasted red peppers and spicy hummus :coma:
Peanut butter
Falafel
Hummus and roasted veg
Onion bhaji (not the healthiest but so good, cranks do a good ready made one)
Avocado, refried beans and roasted sweet potato
Tofu
Chickpea salad
Vegetarian sausages
Vegetarian meatball sub
301 different variations of Jam.
Reply 17
Falafel and mango chutney with salad
Tomato and vegan cheese
Hummus and salad
Peanut butter and banana
Avocado and tomato
Scrambled tofu

There will be many more if you search recipes online!
Slightly toasted bread, spread on some hummus then put on sliced cucumber, red onions, peppers. So so nice.
Reply 19
grilled red pepper and aubergine with seasoning and a bit of balsamic

Quick Reply

Latest