The Student Room Group

OCR Latin GCSE Response (2017)

How did everyone find the first lit paper? 1/4 done!

Scroll to see replies

ABSOLUTE GODSEND. So, so happy :smile: definitely a relief after the botany-ridden nightmare that was IGCSE biology!
:smile: fine tbh. Im doing messalina/quadritila. There weren't any nasty surprises in the essay questions, the comprehension and the translations were ok as well. I didn't think id do well given that i got a b in the mock and before that i was just getting d's so it must have been pretty easy. although i only do latin off timetable in after school or lunch lessons and im on short course so this is me half finished:smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by commuityleader
:smile: fine tbh. Im doing messalina/quadritila. There weren't any nasty surprises in the essay questions, the comprehension and the translations were ok as well. I didn't think id do well given that i got a b in the mock and before that i was just getting d's so it must have been pretty easy. although i only do latin off timetable in after school or lunch lessons and im on short course so this is me half finished:smile:

Wow well done! Couldn't imagine doing Latin off timetable!
The messalina 8/10 markers were god sends! I'd written the exact same 10 marker yesterday for revision and had gotten it marked XD
What do people think the grade boundaries for this paper will be? Thinking it will be a bit higher this year - probably 90s?
Reply 4
I found it alright but I was so pressured for time. How long did you guys have to check?
Reply 5
Original post by dx31
I found it alright but I was so pressured for time. How long did you guys have to check?

Not that long, wanted to add something about it being in the historic present tense to my 10 marker but didn't have time (still managed to do 5 paras). How long did you spend on the 8/10 markers? I'd say I had about 35 mins give or take.
i did foundation cause im stupid, but i found it alright. i mean, it could have gone better, but could have gone worse.
Original post by Katiee01
Wow well done! Couldn't imagine doing Latin off timetable!
The messalina 8/10 markers were god sends! I'd written the exact same 10 marker yesterday for revision and had gotten it marked XD
What do people think the grade boundaries for this paper will be? Thinking it will be a bit higher this year - probably 90s?

probably about 45 out of 50 doubt for a* cant see it reaching any higher having looked at prev years. 3 ppl i know are doing full course of timetable and they only just finished the verse lessons before study leave! whereas there are ten like me at my school
Reply 8
probably about 45 out of 50 doubt for a* cant see it reaching any higher having looked at prev years. 3 ppl i know are doing full course of timetable and they only just finished the verse lessons before study leave! whereas there are ten like me at my school

Really? I couldn't imagine it being any less than 45 for A*
This year was too easy
How'd everyone revising for language tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I also thought the mess/UmQ was fine but the 10 marker was on a translation with not much lit crit - also how did people answer the 4 markers

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do I do to revise language?? I pretty much know the whole vocab list and very basic grammar but none of the weird complicated structures, should I try learn them or will that be a waste of time cause often context is enough? The alternative would be brush up on vocab and basic grammar and have time for a couple of past papers
Original post by DavoGCSE
What do I do to revise language?? I pretty much know the whole vocab list and very basic grammar but none of the weird complicated structures, should I try learn them or will that be a waste of time cause often context is enough? The alternative would be brush up on vocab and basic grammar and have time for a couple of past papers

i was told to make sure you know the declensions, and that the ablative absolute alwasy comes up. maybe compromise btwn the 2 and learn the annoying little words like prepositions that are important yet forgettable and know ur deponents. then obvs making sure you know the passive! yet still have time for the other stuff. if u really dont know a word read ahead and a later question may give clues
i was told to make sure you know the declensions, and that the ablative absolute alwasy comes up. maybe compromise btwn the 2 and learn the annoying little words like prepositions that are important yet forgettable and know ur deponents. then obvs making sure you know the passive! yet still have time for the other stuff. if u really dont know a word read ahead and a later question may give clues

Yeah I'm not that bad (got an A in mock language paper 2 and 100% in prose lit), my grammar is just shite, I think you're right and I'll do the basic noun and verb endings and passives and ablative absolutes and then leave it at that
vocab. vocab. and vocab. you cant do grammar if you don't know vocab.
Original post by DavoGCSE
Yeah I'm not that bad (got an A in mock language paper 2 and 100% in prose lit), my grammar is just shite, I think you're right and I'll do the basic noun and verb endings and passives and ablative absolutes and then leave it at that

It might be a good idea to look over participles too (they decline like nouns or adjectives, but knowing their tenses is quite important and not always obvious from the context).

Wasn't today's language paper 1 suspiciously easy?
Reply 16
Does anyone have any 8 markers for Catullus and/or Ovid?
Original post by Sonechka
It might be a good idea to look over participles too (they decline like nouns or adjectives, but knowing their tenses is quite important and not always obvious from the context).

Wasn't today's language paper 1 suspiciously easy?

IKR! I felt like the entire thing was a trap, although I think I lost a mark on the last question for thinking novalty but putting Noval which isn't even a word 🙄
Reply 18
Original post by graceeeee5
I also thought the mess/UmQ was fine but the 10 marker was on a translation with not much lit crit - also how did people answer the 4 markers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you not think the extract was good? I felt the extract was quite rich; alliteration, emphatic placement of tribune, historic present tense, vivid imagery, stark & blunt final clause, mumbling 'm' sounds vs harsh consonantal sounds. The list goes on...
how did everyone find the language 1?
i did foundation cause ive always struggled but i finished it in half an hour and went to sleep haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending