The Student Room Group

OCR Latin GCSE 2017

I noticed there was no forum for OCR Latin GCSE for this year. What set texts is everyone doing?

Scroll to see replies

Messalina and Ummidia :smile:
Ummidia Quadratilla (from Pliny's 3 feminae) and Messalina (Tacitus) for prose, and some assorted Catullus stuff and ars amatoria (Ovid) for verse.

Nice to see other people doing Latin :smile: how are you preparing for it?
Original post by Sonechka
Ummidia Quadratilla (from Pliny's 3 feminae) and Messalina (Tacitus) for prose, and some assorted Catullus stuff and ars amatoria (Ovid) for verse.

I'm doing past papers! (for language at least) and for prose lit I'm making sure I know the texts really well , fingers crossed I know them better than I think I do!! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Sonechka

For language I'm doing past papers and using quizlet to revise all the vocab.

For set texts, I'm learning the translation off by heart and at least 5 content points and 5 style points for each section.

By the way I'm also doing Messalina and Ummidia, but I'm doing Virgil's Aeneid 1 for verse
Reply 5
Original post by 5amer21
I noticed there was no forum for OCR Latin GCSE for this year. What set texts is everyone doing?

Anyone sitting AS OCR language paper today?
I Met my Latin teacher for the last ever time today (yay!) but she still didn't give me any points to talk about in the 8/10 markers for Ummidia and Messalina. What exactly do I talk about as I have no analysis?
How are you guys all finding Latin?
any predictions for 8-marker or any of the 1 mark/2 mark questions they ask on mythology and things like that? (Messalina and Ummidia)
anyone got any good sources for revision i.e questions as its the first year of Mess and umqua for prose
How did it go? Xxxx
Original post by mysticmagic2000
How did it go? Xxxx

I found it ok, the questions were pretty fair although there were so many
Messalina questions! :tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by nickyconnnm123
I found it ok, the questions were pretty fair although there were so many
Messalina questions! :tongue:

Same but I literally had no time to check? I had only one minute at the end.
It was all fairly straightforward for Messalina and Ummidia Quadratillae I thought. The 8-marker was an easy one too.
Original post by dx31
Same but I literally had no time to check? I had only one minute at the end.

ngl I was still writing at the end too, it's such a short exam
Even with extra time I didn't finish ahaha! But I thought the 8 marker was good, how many points did you make?
Reply 15
Original post by mysticmagic2000
Even with extra time I didn't finish ahaha! But I thought the 8 marker was good, how many points did you make?

I know, they should really give us more time but yeah the paper was actually alright, I made 5 points wbu
Reply 16
Original post by nickyconnnm123
ngl I was still writing at the end too, it's such a short exam

Were you doing Messalina and Ummidia?
Yh I did Messalina and Ummidia
I thought that the timing was fine - I just think we are expected to know the texts really well, to be able to write quickly about them.
It was a good exam I found with straightforward questions.
I made 6 points :biggrin:
5 is fine tho :smile:

Original post by dx31
Were you doing Messalina and Ummidia?

Original post by dx31
I know, they should really give us more time but yeah the paper was actually alright, I made 5 points wbu
Did anyone else do the Caesar/Tacitus/Cicero for the set text this morning? I found the paper went really well but I didn't expect that 10 marker passage to come up at all! I think I still made some okay points though. 8 marker was also very easy.
Me! I found it difficult for the 10 marker I talked about the bodies of the baggage animals (lol!) and the destruction wrought by the cavalry and how they were blocked by the baggage animals and that's it that is 3 points for a 10 mark and I absolutely cried after the exam and for the 8 mark I did bravery in the pullo one how Caesar promotes them as brave and then I did how each rival saved the other loyalty and **** and then I did how Caesar expresses the skills gained through long experience then I went on to Tacitus but my points were **** coz I had 5 minutes left and I stopped the Tacitus point in mid line because stupid invigilator was like

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending