The Student Room Group

Should i change my hard A-level subjects for A-level soft subjects?

So im in the transition between secondary education and 6th form and ive chose Financial studies, Business BTEC level 3 and IT BTEC, I've read online about an un-written rule about universities avoiding students who dont do hard subjects like English Lit and Physics ect. But I dont need those subjects as im aspiring to study accountancy and finance at uni.

Should i change my A-level options to harder subjects in order to get a better chance in getting into a good university?

(its not to late to change subjects cause i've just entered the gcse exam month)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Original post by AsadUllah900
So im in the transition between secondary education and 6th form and ive chose Financial studies, Business BTEC level 3 and IT BTEC, I've read online about an un-written rule about universities avoiding students who dont do hard subjects like English Lit and Physics ect. But I dont need those subjects as im aspiring to study accountancy and finance at uni.

Should i change my A-level options to harder subjects in order to get a better chance in getting into a good university?

(its not to late to change subjects cause i've just entered the gcse exam month)

It is not an unwritten rule - you will find numerous references to soft subjects.

If you want to study accountancy and finance and get into one of the top accountancy firms you need to study proper subjects. You need to go to a good university and get at least a 2:1.
Life is competitive and you should give yourself the best chance at succeeding.

Look at what a university like say Bristol requires - it won't be the silly subjects. And I speak as someone who was married to a partner in a huge accountancy firm.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
It is not an unwritten rule - you will find numerous references to soft subjects.

If you want to study accountancy and finance and get into one of the top accountancy firms you need to study proper subjects. You need to go to a good university and get at least a 2:1.
Life is competitive and you should give yourself the best chance at succeeding.

Look at what a university like say Bristol requires - it won't be the silly subjects. And I speak as someone who was married to a partner in a huge accountancy firm.

yeah i've changed by BTEC business studies to A-level economics and also changed BTEC IT to study computer science.
yeah i've changed by BTEC business studies to A-level economics and also changed BTEC IT to study computer science.

You have to also do maths if you want to be a competitive applicant.
Reply 5
A lot of universities require maths at AL for students applying to finance/accountancy related degrees. Doing maths in addition to the finance and business related subjects you named will only be to your advantage.
Maths at a level is so much difficult than GCSE, only do it if you are good at maths and enjoy. Do subjects you enjoy and will help you get into your degree. I study A level business and ICT, BTEC tourism. I received 5 offers to do business studies at Lincoln, Huddersfield, Manchester Met, Nottingham Trent and Hull. These are all good universities. Any university is good in my opinion all are high level of study. Do want you enjoy. All alevel or level 3 btecs are hard, there is no such thing as a soft subject in my opinion

Look on unis websites to see what subjects they do/dont want for the course you are thinking of doing.
Original post by LauraJ2012
Maths at a level is so much difficult than GCSE, only do it if you are good at maths and enjoy. Do subjects you enjoy and will help you get into your degree. I study A level business and ICT, BTEC tourism. I received 5 offers to do business studies at Lincoln, Huddersfield, Manchester Met, Nottingham Trent and Hull. These are all good universities. Any university is good in my opinion all are high level of study. Do want you enjoy. All alevel or level 3 btecs are hard, there is no such thing as a soft subject in my opinion

I can understand the concepts of maths but I despise the subject so much honestly wouldn't be able to do another 2 years of it, plus I heard its really hard and a A* in GCSE maths is probably a D-C in A-level so that kinda threw me off abit
Original post by Emma:-)
Look on unis websites to see what subjects they do/dont want for the course you are thinking of doing.

The majority of Universities only asking for a B in maths, however I'm not going to be happy unless i get an A or above in GCSE maths so i'll probably resit the GCSE whilst in 6th form if i don't perform.
Reply 10
TAKE IT FROM ME - Don't do subjects you don't like just to get into uni. I do Russian, History and Classics and regret it. I wish I'd picked film and sociology. Please pick something you enjoy it will make life 100x better.
Original post by IHawdon
TAKE IT FROM ME - Don't do subjects you don't like just to get into uni. I do Russian, History and Classics and regret it. I wish I'd picked film and sociology. Please pick something you enjoy it will make life 100x better.

cheers for the advice but its put me in abit of a predicament cause everyone's saying I should do A-level maths and its important for accounting and that its a requirement for most well-known/respected universities, but I just know i wont be able to do it so avoiding it and just aspiring to get the highest grade in GCSE maths.
Reply 12
cheers for the advice but its put me in abit of a predicament cause everyone's saying I should do A-level maths and its important for accounting and that its a requirement for most well-known/respected universities, but I just know i wont be able to do it so avoiding it and just aspiring to get the highest grade in GCSE maths.

If your life goal/dream is to work in accounting, I say go for it. If you're doing it because you feel you have to have an 'academic' job etc, chose something you are passionate about and more likely to succeed in.

Honestly, that all A star to c/d doesn't really work as you learn so much new stuff. I got a B at GCSE and I'm predicted A stars in normal maths a level and further.

You probably won't listen to this advice but its probably the best advice you will get. Do BTEC, avoid a levels at any cost. You will be at a 0% disadvantage if you take BTEC from any uni, the top rankings uni's who take BTEC will take you 100%, no doubt. If you take a level expect 10 hours revision non-stop in exam time and before (good 3 months) and thats for a C grade, if you want an A grade i would say you have to do 5 hours everyday revision. GCSE compared to a levels is 20 times worse. I've been doing 6 hours revision from day 1 for 2 years and its not guaranteed i will be a's, and for gcse i did no revision in year 11 just usually reading text book for an hour in mock week and in exam period an all nighter before exam and i got a's and a*.

Don't you pick your a levels on Results day (24th August).

Also if you want to go in to Accountancy then you should study Maths, Economics and History.

Maths - No need for me to explain why you need it.
Economics - No need for me to explain why you need it.
History - The analytical skills which come into economics can be backed up with all the analysing you do in History.

I've asked teachers about taking these three A
Levels myself and teachers have said it is a desirable combo because History and Maths are facilitating subjects which are highly looked at Russel Group universities (the top 24 universities in the UK). Facilitating subjects are those that are considered highly by universities.

Quick Reply

Latest