The Student Room Group

Edexcel Mathematics: Core C1 6663 17th May 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L_dot_B
I got that and kept checking it cus it seemed a bit weird

I hotbed that and I checked several times don't worry too many people have said hat answer so it's very probs right.

I'm worried about other places I thought I might have 72 but diff people posted diff answers to some questions I figure I hopefully have 61+ but will that be enough for an A grade?
Original post by Luke7456
BecUse I ran out of time for the final question think I should get two marks for working though but the sad face I drew next to out of time might not warm examiners hearts. Really should not have done that.

Disclaimer I guess I have not looked at any past papers before 2010 for any modules because many people tell me that these are easier and the cylabus changed a bit so seemednout dated.

It is possible 2005 was easier I can't possibly comment, as I did not see the 2005 paper I thought we only counted 2010 onwards but ok easiest paper since 2010 then.

What makes you say that this was the easiest paper and not that you just prepared well? Also if you done a past paper a month or more before an exam, or the first few practice ones you did then you would have found them more challenging since you knew less back then.

Every past paper I done, especially June 2005-06 or 07 I finished in around 40 minutes and got an average of 71-73/75, doing them for my first time. Every single recent ones, 2008-2016 I finished them in around 1 hour (ranging from 40 minutes to 1 hour and 10-15 minutes) and scored around 68-70/75 on average. This one, because of how many fractions, surds and big numbers and mental maths there was, I went over the time and rushed the bits I left unanswered, messing some things up. I definitely got lower than 65, maybe lower than 60. That's why i think this was the hardest paper.
(edited 6 years ago)
On question 3 i got a3 wrong as simplified wrong, i got k+(k/2)... anybody know how much i would get in that whole question if i used the incorrect a3 for the sum of in part b
Maths 😩 9-1 Edexcel is just too much 😬😢
Original post by ScrewTheExams
What makes you say that this was the easiest paper and not that you just prepared well? Also if you done a past paper a month or more before an exam, or the first few practice ones you did then you would have found them more challenging since you knew less back then.

Every past paper I done, especially June 2005-06 or 07 I finished in around 40 minutes and got an average of 73/75, doing them for my first time. Every single recent ones, 2008-2016 I finished them in around 1 hour (ranging from 40 minutes to 1 hour and 10-15 minutes) and scored around 70/75 on average. This one, because of how many fractions, surds and big numbers and mental maths there was, I went over the time and rushed the bits I left unanswered, messing some things up. I definitely got lower than 65, maybe lower than 60. That's why i think this was the hardest paper.

So you think 2016' C1 paper was easier than today's?

I really struggled with the 2016 paper but found this one a bit easier.

Also I doubt you would have finished the 2016 paper in an hour

Every past paper I done, especially June 2005-06 or 07 I finished in around 40 minutes and got an average of 73/75, doing them for my first time. Every single recent ones, 2008-2016 I finished them in around 1 hour (ranging from 40 minutes to 1 hour and 10-15 minutes) and scored around 70/75 on average. This one, because of how many fractions, surds and big numbers and mental maths there was, I went over the time and rushed the bits I left unanswered, messing some things up. I definitely got lower than 65, maybe lower than 60. That's why i think this was the hardest paper.

In what universe was this paper so much harder than anything else?? 40+ mis for c1 before but now overtime? Jesus, Only hard question was with inequality, maybe cause i didnt revise the topic like a numpty and lost about 5 marks, and q2, was just quite hard a lot of mental maths. But srsly, done like 4+ papers only in last few days, 10h not even revision (stupid IK), confident to say from what I've seen 65-68/75 at least, so a solid 90%! Lastt year got like 20% lol. If ur AS dont sweat it, im A2, once u do C3 and C4, AS just becomes easier. Paper still challenging but miles easier in content.
so who here's resitting c1 next year?:smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Yeah so easy to make mistakes that is the thing like if I made no mistakes I have 72 ums but I think I kade lots of mistakes I saw different answers here I don't want to k really don't want to focus questions or see working I just want to convince myself I got an A and move on with good moral to the next paper I'm scared I got worse but hey can pick up a few marks in the other modules I mean S1 and M1 should be good and I am capable of getting A grade s in C2 C3 C4 worse case scenario I just scrapped a b would be shocked if it was worse then that. 10 ums won't be hard to make up.

I am really glad everyone is saying it was so hard I don't want to be a dick just hoping for a low grade curve so to speak but I think everyone always wants that.

I guess we will see. Between M1 M2 S1 S2 I am bound to pick up two 90s so I can afford a bit of a full on the core modules as I need A grades but really wanted to nail everything then I get he A* and high scores go to further maths but that probs won't happen.

I guess I should distress worst case scenario I got A B grade which won't ruin me if I can make up for it in other modules.
What are expected raw mark grade boundaries for 90 UMS?
I reckon about 69 for 90 UMS?
Surely u guys r trolling if u thought that exam was easy today wtf, the reaction to this exam on Twitter is the exact opposite to here...
I actually really enjoyed that paper, thought it was definitely better than last years, with the fractions and surds I just expected it cause of last year. Now, have to move on to c2. Haven't even started revising for that loool
Original post by thehaskone
Surely u guys r trolling if u thought that exam was easy today wtf, the reaction to this exam on Twitter is the exact opposite to here...

TSR users tend to boast about high grades everywhere and exams being piss easy. The comments made here aren't an accurate representation of everyone's view on how it went :smile: IMO Today's exam wasn't easy but it wasn't "hard" either. Slightly easier than last year's.
Pretty decent paper tbh. But it was generally harder than the past few papers but I still feel June 2016 was much harder!
BecUse I ran out of time for the final question think I should get two marks for working though but the sad face I drew next to out of time might not warm examiners hearts. Really should not have done that.

Disclaimer I guess I have not looked at any past papers before 2010 for any modules because many people tell me that these are easier and the cylabus changed a bit so seemednout dated.

It is possible 2005 was easier I can't possibly comment, as I did not see the 2005 paper I thought we only counted 2010 onwards but ok easiest paper since 2010 then.

haha don't worry I drew a sad cat in my M1 paper last year, you probably won't be penalised.
Original post by thehaskone

People aren't going to go on twitter saying "man, that exam was great", now.
Original post by _gcx
People aren't going to go on twitter saying "man, that exam was great", now.

Exactly we only hear the negatives I think we need to compare things firstly was there a hitler bunker scene with hitler translated as complaining about the C1 exam 2017? If their is not that within four hours of the exam finish time then he exam was not that bad.

Further we would need to compare the negative twitter responses to the twitter responses in preceding years their is probably a correlation between grade boundaries and the responses there. My internet sucks. It someone feel free to look this stuff up.
Is it possible to still come out with an A overall if i do well in core 2 and stats 1? Lets say I get a C in core 1 but an A in core 2 and Stats 1: is this possible or not?

Cheers
Original post by craftywizardboy
Is it possible to still come out with an A overall if i do well in core 2 and stats 1? Lets say I get a C in core 1 but an A in core 2 and Stats 1: is this possible or not?

Cheers

I would be worried for your stats 1 score as this is simple Mean. 60 UMs is a C so lets assume you just scrape a C which would give you 60 you need 240 total UMS to come out with an A in AS maths so that would be 240/3 =80 per module.

240-60=180

so you would need 180 from S1 and C2.which is 180/2=90 a score of 90 per module in these. So yeah its doable.
I hotbed that and I checked several times don't worry too many people have said hat answer so it's very probs right.

I'm worried about other places I thought I might have 72 but diff people posted diff answers to some questions I figure I hopefully have 61+ but will that be enough for an A grade?

Recently i think a grades have been 65 for an A but its hard to tell

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending