The Student Room Group

Aqa as history-stuarts

How did u find the extract Q ? - what were ur points
- which Q did u choose for the essay, what were ur arguments ?

How did u find the exam overall?
Original post by AKDbbb
How did u find the extract Q ? - what were ur points
- which Q did u choose for the essay, what were ur arguments ?

How did u find the exam overall?

Thought the extract question was tough, especially compared to last years. I put:

I thought extract A was more convincing because I knew more evidence to back it up. Basically said Parliament was the first to put forward radical ideas e.g. Three Resolutions, Grand Remonstrance, Root & Branch etc etc and extremists like Pym persuaded many others to support his ideals and he basically catalysed radicalism. Did credit extract B mentioning the civil war(s) and how this made some consider even regicide. Mentioned diggers and levellers and how they influenced NMA and how NMA continued the radicalism after Parliament became more moderated e.g. repealing vote of no address. But I'd learnt nothing on repealing censorship so didn't mention that.

I answered Q2 as I thought Q3 was too one sided and I would've struggled to compiled a strong, wide argument as you couldn't really mention Scotland or Ireland.

Overall, I thought the exam was quite tough and I only just managed to finish in time. Extract Q will definitely be my weaker one but I'm not too negative. Believe I did fairly well and maybe pulled of a B grade. Grade boundaries are fairly low and I reckon they'll lower them slightly this year.

How did you find it?
Reply 2
Original post by owennbentley
Thought the extract question was tough, especially compared to last years. I put:

I thought extract A was more convincing because I knew more evidence to back it up. Basically said Parliament was the first to put forward radical ideas e.g. Three Resolutions, Grand Remonstrance, Root & Branch etc etc and extremists like Pym persuaded many others to support his ideals and he basically catalysed radicalism. Did credit extract B mentioning the civil war(s) and how this made some consider even regicide. Mentioned diggers and levellers and how they influenced NMA and how NMA continued the radicalism after Parliament became more moderated e.g. repealing vote of no address. But I'd learnt nothing on repealing censorship so didn't mention that.

I answered Q2 as I thought Q3 was too one sided and I would've struggled to compiled a strong, wide argument as you couldn't really mention Scotland or Ireland.

Overall, I thought the exam was quite tough and I only just managed to finish in time. Extract Q will definitely be my weaker one but I'm not too negative. Believe I did fairly well and maybe pulled of a B grade. Grade boundaries are fairly low and I reckon they'll lower them slightly this year.

How did you find it?

Hello !

So what i did for each extract i said why it was convincing and why it wasnt. For extract A there was a great emphasis on parliment. What was confusing for me was he wording of the Q. It asked for the REASONS for the emergance of radical and religious tensions? Something along thise lines. The first extract mentioned 'laud' so i emphasised how acc it was Charles religious reformations which led to the emergance of religious radicals, and i said that its convincing in the sense parliment it self had 'turned the world upside down' something like that i quoted from the extract. This was true fue to 1629 2nd of march- speakers holding down the guy who was gonna dissolve parliment- root and branch, self denying ordinance etc.nalthough i made counter arguments saying its not parliments fault as they offered 6 settlements, including the heads of proposal etc. I forgot to mention the independents and peace and war parties, as thats what happened, i was focusing more on he reasons of why that happened as the Q suggested

I chose the first Q for the essay, james reign

-man of peace
-compromise

Couner argument
- DROK
-acc james compromised whilst parkiment were the one who were reluctant eg guving him money - linked that to finance and extravagance- his belief, ' for a king not to be bountiful were a fault etc

Tbh i found the extract harder than the essay Q but hoping for low grade boundaries🙏🏻
Source question was really difficult, no idea what to write, and sources worded weirdly :/
Original post by AKDbbb
Hello !

So what i did for each extract i said why it was convincing and why it wasnt. For extract A there was a great emphasis on parliment. What was confusing for me was he wording of the Q. It asked for the REASONS for the emergance of radical and religious tensions? Something along thise lines. The first extract mentioned 'laud' so i emphasised how acc it was Charles religious reformations which led to the emergance of religious radicals, and i said that its convincing in the sense parliment it self had 'turned the world upside down' something like that i quoted from the extract. This was true fue to 1629 2nd of march- speakers holding down the guy who was gonna dissolve parliment- root and branch, self denying ordinance etc.nalthough i made counter arguments saying its not parliments fault as they offered 6 settlements, including the heads of proposal etc. I forgot to mention the independents and peace and war parties, as thats what happened, i was focusing more on he reasons of why that happened as the Q suggested

I chose the first Q for the essay, james reign

-man of peace
-compromise

Couner argument
- DROK
-acc james compromised whilst parkiment were the one who were reluctant eg guving him money - linked that to finance and extravagance- his belief, ' for a king not to be bountiful were a fault etc

Tbh i found the extract harder than the essay Q but hoping for low grade boundaries🙏🏻

I felt that James question was much more straight forward and balanced

I basically said James wasn't an absolutist but the fact he did believe in divine right was always going to cause tensions and deteriorate relations.
E.g. not backing down on not joining TYW
James tearing protestation out Commons journal & dissolving P in 1621
Bates' case & Impositions, great contract.
Apology of the House of Commons

My main argument was EXTRAVAGANCE and how James thought the monarch should be indulged in gifts and wealth. also had tendency to use patronage. This caused Parliament to be reluctant to hand subsidies etc etc.

Arguments against were the fact he did back down in some instances:
Union
Goodwin v Fortescue
Shirley's case

I also explained how other factors such as his favourites and financial policies also caused deterioration in relations.
I just wish I had time at the end to go back and check my answers, just makes me anxious about whether I wrote well as I can't really recall my structure or how much I actually wrote.
Reply 5
[QUOTE="owennbentley;71522712"]I felt that James question was much more straight forward and balanced

I basically said James wasn't an absolutist but the fact he did believe in divine right was always going to cause tensions and deteriorate relations.

My main argument was EXTRAVAGANCE and how James thought the monarch should be indulged in gifts and wealth. also had tendency to use patronage. This caused Parliament to be reluctant to hand subsidies etc etc.

Union
Goodwin v Fortescue
Shirley's case

I also explained how other factors such as his favourites and financial policies also caused deterioration in relations.
I just wish I had time at the end to go back and check my answers, just makes me anxious about whether I wrote well as I can't really recall my structure or how much I actually wrote.[/QUOTE

You have written about loads of things ! My main point were as explained before, although tbh it was in a great depth of detail. I also was constantly refering back to the Q, making sure my argument was clear and structured. I also could of written about more things but simply ran out of time, i finished right on the dot, yet i feel like the main things i had to put i got it down, and my arguments reallt show that i was thinking about the Q - idk tbh

Predictions of grade boundaries ?
[QUOTE="AKDbbb;71523832"]
I felt that James question was much more straight forward and balanced

Union
Goodwin v Fortescue
Shirley's case

I just wish I had time at the end to go back and check my answers, just makes me anxious about whether I wrote well as I can't really recall my structure or how much I actually wrote.[/QUOTE

You have written about loads of things ! My main point were as explained before, although tbh it was in a great depth of detail. I also was constantly refering back to the Q, making sure my argument was clear and structured. I also could of written about more things but simply ran out of time, i finished right on the dot, yet i feel like the main things i had to put i got it down, and my arguments reallt show that i was thinking about the Q - idk tbh

Predictions of grade boundaries ?

Well last year it was
35/50 for an A
30/50 for a B
25/50 for a C

I presume they will be lowered because everyone I spoke to said it was fairly difficult. So I'd say

33/50 for an A
28/50 for B
23/50 for C
Reply 7
[QUOTE="owennbentley;71528160"]
Original post by AKDbbb

Well last year it was
35/50 for an A
30/50 for a B
25/50 for a C

I presume they will be lowered because everyone I spoke to said it was fairly difficult. So I'd say

33/50 for an A
28/50 for B
23/50 for C

Hope so tbh ! Everyone that i also spoke to found the extract difficult
Hi guys,I am in my second year A-level for the aqa Stuarts course and was wondering if you guys could tell me what the questions for AS were? It would be a major help to plan these essays as part of my revision for my exam in June!Thanks!
I'm doing A2 Stuart Britain and have my exam in June. I'm just wondering, what were the questions on this exam?
Original post by verityking
Hi guys,I am in my second year A-level for the aqa Stuarts course and was wondering if you guys could tell me what the questions for AS were? It would be a major help to plan these essays as part of my revision for my exam in June!Thanks!

The source question asked which source provided the most convincing interpretation of the causes for political and religious radicalism in the 1640s

The knowledge questions where:

02) the deterioration in relations between crown and parliament were caused by the way James perceived the monarchy (1603-25)

03) Charles' religious policy was successful in England

Obviously not the exact wording but pretty close to how I remember the questions.
The source question asked which source provided the most convincing interpretation of the causes for political and religious radicalism in the 1640s

The knowledge questions where:

02) the deterioration in relations between crown and parliament were caused by the way James perceived the monarchy (1603-25)

03) Charles' religious policy was successful in England

Obviously not the exact wording but pretty close to how I remember the questions.

Thanks! hm the source topic does sound hard
Reply 12
Original post by verityking
Thanks! hm the source topic does sound hard

It was difficult , yet still do-able if that makes sense 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending