The Student Room Group

What happens when if you fail chemistry but pass physics and biology?

If I pass biology with an C, and physics with an C but fail chemistry with an D or lower will my overall grade for gcse core science still be a C?
Chemistry C1 exam tomorrow any tips? Chemistry is definitely my weak subject :/
Original post by Taylor1610
If I pass biology with an C, and physics with an C but fail chemistry with an D or lower will my overall grade for gcse core science still be a C?

It depends how low the D is and how high the Cs are. 2 marks off a C can be compensated for 2 marks into a C in another exam, it all depends on the exact numbers.

Do you have any questions?
Reply 3
Original post by Glassapple
It depends how low the D is and how high the Cs are. 2 marks off a C can be compensated for 2 marks into a C in another exam, it all depends on the exact numbers.

Thanks, I guess I'll just try to get an C or an high D, does your Isa have any influence on the grade? Only got a C due to many supply teachers in year 10.
Thanks, I guess I'll just try to get an C or an high D, does your Isa have any influence on the grade? Only got a C due to many supply teachers in year 10.

The ISA is 25% of your overall grade, then each of chemistry, biology and physics is another 25%.
Reply 5
If you do AQA, it depends if you do double or triple (I assume you are doing triple since you have C1 tomorrow)

For triple: Your 3 grades are for:
B1,B2,B3 + bioogy ISA
C1,C2,C3 + chemistry ISA
P1,P2,P3 + phsyics ISA

So in this case, a D in chemistry will get you a D, unless you have a good ISA to pull the grade up to a C.

If you do double, you first GCSE is based on B1, C1, P1 + core ISA and your second GCSE is based on B", C2, P2 + additional ISA, so in this case, if you get a D in chemistry, your physics, biology and ISA results could pull it up if your UMS is high enough.

Hope this helps!
Hi just testing this works lol
Reply 7
Original post by Yorrick
If you do AQA, it depends if you do double or triple (I assume you are doing triple since you have C1 tomorrow)

For triple: Your 3 grades are for:
B1,B2,B3 + bioogy ISA
C1,C2,C3 + chemistry ISA
P1,P2,P3 + phsyics ISA

So in this case, a D in chemistry will get you a D, unless you have a good ISA to pull the grade up to a C.

If you do double, you first GCSE is based on B1, C1, P1 + core ISA and your second GCSE is based on B", C2, P2 + additional ISA, so in this case, if you get a D in chemistry, your physics, biology and ISA results could pull it up if your UMS is high enough.

Hope this helps!

This really helps thank you! I do double science and I think I will be able to pull of a high D in chemistry tomorrow, hopefully a C. Thank you again really appreciate your explanation :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Glassapple
The ISA is 25% of your overall grade, then each of chemistry, biology and physics is another 25%.

Thanks, never got isa explained to me properly unfortunately. Wish I had gotten a higher grade on it. :smile:
What happens if you get off TSR, revise intensely and pass your chemistry?
Reply 10
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
What happens if you get off TSR, revise intensely and pass your chemistry?

Did that, was asking because the teacher didn't explain it to me properly but thanks the exam went good and wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.
I think im failing chemistry but im confident in getting a 5 in physics and biology i do double science so will the overall double award be 5-5?

Quick Reply

Latest