The Student Room Group

Edexcel Mathematics: Mechanics M3 6679 01 - 17 May 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Would I lose marks for using T instead of R for question 6?
Original post by JJSinha
I honestly don't think we should lose more than 5 marks in total for that whole question. Having said that, 5 marks could easily make the difference in our grades:frown:

highly doubt, that id lose 5 marks for putting 4/3 down instead of 2. thats very harsh . i thought it would be like 1 or 2 anybody think otherwise?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by JJSinha
Hi
What did you get for your centre of mass for the cylinder then? Since we assume it's a thin hollow cylinder, isn't it just the geometrical centre?
And if we were meant to derive it separately given that the thickness can't be said to be 0, that would definitely be worth around 4-5 marks by itself rather than be in a 6 mark question.

The object in question is a hollow cylinder, with one end having a 'base' of 2 dimensions

Consider the base of the cylinder having com (a,0) and mass p(a^2)pi
Consider the surface curved area of the cylinder to have mass 2pi(a)*(4a), where 4a is the height, having com (a,2a)

therefore

yˉ(9πa2ρ)=((ρπa2)0)+(8πa2)(2a)) \bar{y}*(9\pi a^{2}\rho ) = ((\rho\pi a^{2})*0 ) + (8\pi a^{2}) *(2a))

yˉ=16a9 \bar{y}=\frac{16a}{9}

This is obviously very nearly 4a/2, however the base will change the COM of the cylinder
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by JJSinha
Hi
that would definitely be worth around 4-5 marks by itself rather than be in a 6 mark question.

Sorry I didn't see this bit, marks on this exam were very far off. In my eyes, question two should have been about 5 marks and the COM question should have been 8 marks.
Original post by xyz9856
Sorry I didn't see this bit, marks on this exam were very far off. In my eyes, question two should have been about 5 marks and the COM question should have been 8 marks.

100% , Q2 was ridiculously easy and for 8 marks . smh
Original post by dididid
100% , Q2 was ridiculously easy and for 8 marks . smh

Did the question twice lol, it shocked me and made me question my answer many times
Can someone pls help, i did the paper today and stressing about how many marks I have lost.
Question 3 regarding the hemisphere and cylinder, i read wrong and took it as two solids being joined together and found that centre of mass. (6 marks) i believe my method was correct for part b and part a.
I think Q6 (the string on a horizontal table) i forgot about it having EPE even when in line with points a and b, and just simply converted the total EPE into KE (6marks). My value was 0.4 m/s off
any predicted grade boundaries, i think itll be around 66 for an A and 70 for an A*
Original post by rachstanley
The mass of hemispherical shell was on the c1 formula sheet!

AGHHHH THAT IS GOING TO ANNOY ME FOR MONTHS!!! I went straight to the Mechanics section of the formula sheet and when nothing was there I didn't think to look at C1 (why was it under C1 in the first place we didn't do that in core 1?)
Original post by dilhan11
Can someone pls help, i did the paper today and stressing about how many marks I have lost.
Question 3 regarding the hemisphere and cylinder, i read wrong and took it as two solids being joined together and found that centre of mass. (6 marks) i believe my method was correct for part b and part a.
I think Q6 (the string on a horizontal table) i forgot about it having EPE even when in line with points a and b, and just simply converted the total EPE into KE (6marks). My value was 0.4 m/s off

i think you lose quite a lot of mark for calculating it as solid instead as shells, prob 4-5 marks. And forgetting EPE would be around 2-3 marks. I could be wrong for the com question so dont take me on that and hope for the best :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by anhkiet1903
i think you lose quite a lot of mark for calculating it as solid instead as shells, prob 4-5 marks. And forgetting EPE would be around 2-3 marks

They would deduct 5/6 for that?
Original post by dididid
highly doubt, that id lose 5 marks for putting 4/3 down instead of 2. thats very harsh . i thought it would be like 1 or 2 anybody think otherwise?

Oh no, I meant for the whole question. With finding the angle part too. And I was suggesting 5 as an upper limit. To get mass and centre of mass right for one object in those columns gets you like a 1 mark. So that's the one we would've lost. But I'm worried we might lose a few more A1s.
Original post by ccurnock
Would I lose marks for using T instead of R for question 6?

I wouldn't have thought so, maybe one mark at the most
I thought the paper was alright, but could someone explain 4b to me? That's the only question that still confuses me.
Original post by JJSinha
Oh no, I meant for the whole question. With finding the angle part too. And I was suggesting 5 as an upper limit. To get mass and centre of mass right for one object in those columns gets you like a 1 mark. So that's the one we would've lost. But I'm worried we might lose a few more A1s.

theres generally follow through marks and the second part was only 3 marks and probably lose 1 there and 1/2 on the first bit.
Original post by AlphaArgonian
I thought the paper was alright, but could someone explain 4b to me? That's the only question that still confuses me.

the c of mass of the shape had to line up with the final point of contact of the shape withe the plane. and drawing a good diagram you can see that tan(theta)=(C of M)/a and then the a's will cancel out and you just arctan both sides :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by dididid
the c of mass of the shape had to line up with the final point of contact of the shape withe the plane. and drawing a good diagram you can see that tan(theta)=(C of M)/a and then the a's will cancel out and you just arctan both sides :smile:

Yes that was fine but using the wrong formula for the mass would give the wrong centre of mass. Hence, a wrong answer for part b as well. So M marks given but A marks lost right?
In the vertical circle question i simply calculated v and stated v>0 at the top, instead of R>0. Anyone know how many marks I'd lose?
Original post by JJSinha
Yes that was fine but using the wrong formula for the mass would give the wrong centre of mass. Hence, a wrong answer for part b as well. So M marks given but A marks lost right?

Yeah I think so? I'd say you'll probably get 3/9 marks (I was looking at last year's question on statics of rigid bodies to find out how many marks I'd get and it was roughly 3)
Original post by JJSinha

you would lose the final accuracy mark on both im guessing but you also get A1ft marks though . loooking at how similar questions have been marked in the past id say youd lose 3 maybe 4 marks if everything else was right.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending