The Student Room Group

GCSE Science Equivalency Test .... HELPP

Hi Everyone!

As you may know we got to pass GCSE Maths, English and Science for the PGCE Primary. I have a C in Maths and English but D for Science. I am thinking about taking equivalency test for Science.

Could anyone share their experience of doing the exam, and also what books or board did you revise from?

Thank you very much x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi.
Did you sit this exam? If so what was it like? I'm doing this on Saturday- any specific topics I should revise? Thanks
Reply 2
Original post by Nicola13
Hi.
Did you sit this exam? If so what was it like? I'm doing this on Saturday- any specific topics I should revise? Thanks

Hey Nicola, How did the exam go? I intend to take mine next month! I'm currently just using bitesize and a CPG book and going by the syllabus they sent me...any surprises?! Thanks!
Reply 3
Hi, will be taking the same thing soon!!! Nicola how did yours go??? I'm quite confident with Math and English, but I'm very worried with Science! Hope to hear from you ^^
Would be interested in any feedback too!
Reply 5
Hey guys,

I took this test last month and passed. I took the higher combined paper and it wasn't that bad at all!

The test centre is at the Holiday inn in Essex and everyone there is super friendly!

I would say the test on the day is a LOT easier than the initial one they send out - (the really old fashioned paper) - I think my paper was out of 138 (maximises the chances of getting a C) I also got emailed a different paper the week before I booked my exam and this was very similar to the one on the day.

Please don't worry! :smile:
Original post by fryer_c
Hey guys,

I took this test last month and passed. I took the higher combined paper and it wasn't that bad at all!

The test centre is at the Holiday inn in Essex and everyone there is super friendly!

I would say the test on the day is a LOT easier than the initial one they send out - (the really old fashioned paper) - I think my paper was out of 138 (maximises the chances of getting a C) I also got emailed a different paper the week before I booked my exam and this was very similar to the one on the day.

Please don't worry! :smile:

Thanks for this 😊Who did you do your test through? I'm going to do mine with equivalency testing.com, they have just emailed me saying that all I need to do is email them on the 20th June and they will email a confirmation letter, then you pay on the day......?
Reply 7
Original post by BethanyVJ
Thanks for this 😊Who did you do your test through? I'm going to do mine with equivalency testing.com, they have just emailed me saying that all I need to do is email them on the 20th June and they will email a confirmation letter, then you pay on the day......?

Yup that's who I did it with! So on the 20th of April I emailed them and then they send me a practice paper to look at which was a similar layout to the one on the day :smile: and then after the exam they give out envelopes for you to put the money in!

Are you doing combined or biology? A lot of the questions were tick boxes or some form of multiple choice, and lots of 1 mark questions. I think key words are the main things they look for so just be sure to include them in all your answers!
Original post by fryer_c
Yup that's who I did it with! So on the 20th of April I emailed them and then they send me a practice paper to look at which was a similar layout to the one on the day :smile: and then after the exam they give out envelopes for you to put the money in!

Are you doing combined or biology? A lot of the questions were tick boxes or some form of multiple choice, and lots of 1 mark questions. I think key words are the main things they look for so just be sure to include them in all your answers!

I will be doing Biology, I also sat the Biology GCSE this week, I have to do the equivalency test as the uni need the result before the end of July. I found the GCSE really difficult and know that I haven't managed a C, so all my hopes are now on passing the test! How quick do you get your results?
Reply 9
Original post by BethanyVJ
I will be doing Biology, I also sat the Biology GCSE this week, I have to do the equivalency test as the uni need the result before the end of July. I found the GCSE really difficult and know that I haven't managed a C, so all my hopes are now on passing the test! How quick do you get your results?

Yes I was considering sitting the GCSE, but the university told me I needed the results ASAP and they wouldn't be back in time for the course to start! I literally found out on the Sunday! I found it so much easier than the GCSE past papers I was using to help with revision, plus I sat the combined too so biology should be ok!

Let me know how you get on! :smile:
Original post by fryer_c
Yes I was considering sitting the GCSE, but the university told me I needed the results ASAP and they wouldn't be back in time for the course to start! I literally found out on the Sunday! I found it so much easier than the GCSE past papers I was using to help with revision, plus I sat the combined too so biology should be ok!

Let me know how you get on! :smile:

I will do, it's not until end of June though. Thanks for the advise 😊👍
I am also doing the biology at the end of June, but tbh I am wondering if I should put it back. I keep revising but when I try and do a paper I can't seem to remember hardly anything. I started trying to learn the topics a couple of weeks ago, but there is so much to learn across a wide selection of areas that it just seems so difficult to memorise it all and retain it. My
Degree is going really well and I feel like it's just this that is holding me back now!
For those of you that have done the paper recently, what sort of things/areas were in it? I feel like I need some kind of system to revise and some concentration areas as I don't feel like I am able to learn all of it in the time I have ...
Hi guys I have my biology with equivalency in a week and I'm pretty scared. Also trying to study for my skills tests so things are crazy. I'm doing ok on aqa past papers but the old fashioned looking paper equivalency testing sent has scared me. How did it go?
Reply 13
Hi guys I have my combined since test coming up with equivalencytesting.com.. how did you find the paper? I’m really nervous as I need to pass by end of July or I won’t be accepted onto my course for Sep start. How was the test? Was it really hard? I’m so scared it’s unreal. Would be grateful for some feedback or guidance as to what to look for or how to revise? Thanks in advance! :smile:
Reply 14
Thanks for your help. I have been revising using Bitesize and CGP book and thought I was doing ok but just had a go at the practice paper they sent and it’s sent me into meltdown. Some of the questions I couldn’t answer from either of my revision resources and had to google the random questions. Made me feel a bit better now so i’ll Just carry on as I was.
Original post by nimj92
Hi guys I have my combined since test coming up with equivalencytesting.com.. how did you find the paper? I’m really nervous as I need to pass by end of July or I won’t be accepted onto my course for Sep start. How was the test? Was it really hard? I’m so scared it’s unreal. Would be grateful for some feedback or guidance as to what to look for or how to revise? Thanks in advance! :smile:

Check on Youtube 'freesciencelessons' its a guy in a suit and he breaks things down really easily. I think the pass rate for science is 55% for a C. Try to make a small schedule of what to study. Im sitting my biology on 21st july so that if I fail, I can resit afterwards.
Original post by Shazee
Thanks for your help. I have been revising using Bitesize and CGP book and thought I was doing ok but just had a go at the practice paper they sent and it’s sent me into meltdown. Some of the questions I couldn’t answer from either of my revision resources and had to google the random questions. Made me feel a bit better now so i’ll Just carry on as I was.

If youre doing the test through equivalency testing, they told me today that the questions in the test paper will not reflect the stuff we've been learning. its more about the format. She said that people panic when they see the test paper, but that a lot of things you wont need to know that are in the test paper.

Try Freesciencelessons on yourtube. its super helpful
Hey, I am also taking my science exam soon. I was wondering if you know the timings of the exams by any chance whether it in the morning or afternoon?
Hey! What time was the exam you sat? I am also doing it at the essex venue however unsure of the exam time itself and was wondering if they do it in the morning?
Reply 19
Hi has anyone say the science equivalency ? I’m about to sit mine in the next few hours

Latest

Trending

Trending