The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Maths Offer Holders 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
got the offer holder day for maths at warwick tommorow and i havent been to any open days for the uni but have done some research online . strongly debating whether or not to go as its going to cost over £100 and 8 hours total travelling time. is it wise if i dont go or should i go . lol very last minute
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by dididid
got the offer holder day for maths at warwick tommorow and i havent been to any open days for the uni but have done some research online . strongly debating whether or not to go as its going to cost over £100 and 8 hours total travelling time. is it wise if i dont go or should i go . lol very last minute

Is it defo your firm (sorry if you've already stated this). If yes I wouldn't bother lol
Reply 102
Original post by CaiusMartius
Is it defo your firm (sorry if you've already stated this). If yes I wouldn't bother lol

yes well 90% sure it will be, (10%-UCL). I don't think I'm going now unless i wake up and feel otherwise which is v.unlikely. Anyone that does go/has been, please post your thoughts about the uni and the course :smile:
Only just seen this😂
Predicted A2s: A*A*A*A (maths, further maths, physics and German)
Step: probably I and II Open day: the 15th (so today😂)
Why do I like Warwick? the course flexibility is really cool and also the reputation!
I went to a normal open day but decided to not go to the offer holder one seeing as I didn't think there'd be much difference between the two...

Tbh open days are good for seeing the uni and its facilities - Warwick is basically all modern, and brand new. I think it's good to see the accommodation in the flesh but tbh there's lots of info on the website and also on here about the accommodation so I wouldn't be too bothered about going :smile:

Luckily for me though it's only a 45 minute drive from where I live!
Original post by MC11V33N
Predicted A2s: A*A*A*A* ( Maths , F.maths, Phys and Chem)
STEP/AEA: STEP II & III (not sure theres much point in adding on another 3 hours with STEP I)
Which Offer Holder day are you going to?
They send so many emails, I'm not even sure how an offer holder open day varies from a normal open day(...???) and since I've been on one of those I don't know if its really necessary.
Why did you choose Warwick?
Comfortably the best maths department I've seen (par ofc cambridge *sigh*) and the course is versatile and recognised etc etc... its good.
Ultimately I've got myself a smol predicament where I have to chose between st. andrews, warwick and durham and so far, warwick's swinging it for firm, but theres still a lot of doubt and I thought here might be a good place to seek guidance.

I know someone who had a similar dilemma between Warwick and Durham. I think they too preferred the course at Warwick and felt it had a better rep. But they were attracted to the collegiate/historic side of Durham (they'd even lucked out and got a place in a Castle College). In the end they went to Warwick and haven't regretted it for a moment. I am not sure if they have even thought about Durham since. Purely personal though. Might be different if you row or like formal dinners!
Has anyone been to an applicant day yet? What are they like?
Original post by Fortox
Has anyone been to an applicant day yet? What are they like?

This may not count, but ive been to Maths+Physics open day and it was pretty nice, we had a talk with an academic, and a 30min lecture about the course and then a tour. Thoroughly enjoyable :smile:
Original post by Samendra
This may not count, but ive been to Maths+Physics open day and it was pretty nice, we had a talk with an academic, and a 30min lecture about the course and then a tour. Thoroughly enjoyable :smile:

Alright cool. I'm going to one next week and was wondering what exactly happens. Did you have a chance to look at the accommodation?
Original post by Fortox
Alright cool. I'm going to one next week and was wondering what exactly happens. Did you have a chance to look at the accommodation?

No we didnt look at any accomodation
Original post by dididid
Ive always been told I was the easiest (in comparison) then II slightly harder and III a lot harder , Might have a look at couple of step III papers if thats the case.

Original post by Fortox
STEP III certainly covers more content but the questions are designed to be on the level of STEP II. I think the only thing which will make it harder is the fact that I'll only be able to answer the pure maths questions since I'll have only done applied maths up to M2 and S2 (also D2 but that doesn't matter here).

Original post by LaurenLovesMaths
I'm the only one in my school doing further maths, let alone sitting STEP!

I've heard that some people think STEP III is actually easier than II

To clarify all this: STEP II and STEP III broadly aim to have questions be set at the same difficulty level, but STEP III has the additional difficulty of having greatly reduced question choice (there's a surprising difference in being able to choose 6 our of 8 and choose 6 out of 11 or 13) if you haven't done much applied modules. That said, quite a few people still consider STEP III to be easier (than STEP II) because of the significantly lower grade boundaries for it compared to STEP II.
Reply 111
Bit of a strange one but I got a year and half into Electronic Engineering at Exeter before now applying to Warwick! When I started ditching my lectures to sneak into maths ones I realised I was really on the wrong course. I need theory and proof and I just didn't appreciate that when applying the first time round.
A2s: A*A*AA( Maths , Further maths, Biology and Physics)
STEP/AEA: Merit in AEA year 12. Didn't do any STEP in school but do the odd question now to stay sharp in my year out!
Unfortunately none. Though I went to one in 2015
I want a tough course to challenge me from the start despite having done a couple uni maths modules before. Also the number of optional modules and flexibility of the course is a huge plus! :smile: The campus itself and societies list also look great and importantly for me its away from the city.
Reply 112
Original post by Zacken
To clarify all this: STEP II and STEP III broadly aim to have questions be set at the same difficulty level, but STEP III has the additional difficulty of having greatly reduced question choice (there's a surprising difference in being able to choose 6 our of 8 and choose 6 out of 11 or 13) if you haven't done much applied modules. That said, quite a few people still consider STEP III to be easier (than STEP II) because of the significantly lower grade boundaries for it compared to STEP II.

thanks for clarifying :smile:.
A2s: A*A*A* (Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science) Also BTEC in Music Technology
STEP: Doing all 3
Chose Warwick because it's relatively close to home, and has a good Maths reputation

So FP3 today, didn't love it, I think I'm going to be on the boundary between an A and a B. Hope I can pull things up with FP2 and M2. What're my chances of getting into Warwick with just an A in further maths? Reckon they'll let it slide?
Reply 114
Original post by nonamepete420
A2s: A*A*A* (Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science) Also BTEC in Music Technology
STEP: Doing all 3
Chose Warwick because it's relatively close to home, and has a good Maths reputation

So FP3 today, didn't love it, I think I'm going to be on the boundary between an A and a B. Hope I can pull things up with FP2 and M2. What're my chances of getting into Warwick with just an A in further maths? Reckon they'll let it slide?

hopefully you've done alright :smile:, also I'm not too sure how lenient they are but my guess is i doubt they will be much as they give out a lot of offers for maths. Also the A* for further maths docent have to come from your average including FP3 but rather the average of your 3 best A2 modules so if you're doing more than 3 A2 modules (guessing you are) they can be changed around and go towards the A* instead. (well thats how it works with edexcel)

also wow what made you do all 3 STEP papers :O .
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 115
Original post by Olim-
Bit of a strange one but I got a year and half into Electronic Engineering at Exeter before now applying to Warwick! When I started ditching my lectures to sneak into maths ones I realised I was really on the wrong course. I need theory and proof and I just didn't appreciate that when applying the first time round.
A2s: A*A*AA( Maths , Further maths, Biology and Physics)
STEP/AEA: Merit in AEA year 12. Didn't do any STEP in school but do the odd question now to stay sharp in my year out!
Unfortunately none. Though I went to one in 2015
I want a tough course to challenge me from the start despite having done a couple uni maths modules before. Also the number of optional modules and flexibility of the course is a huge plus! :smile: The campus itself and societies list also look great and importantly for me its away from the city.

did you get an unconditional offer?
Reply 116
Original post by dididid
did you get an unconditional offer?

Yup - firmed unconditional for Warwick :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by dididid
hopefully you've done alright :smile:, also I'm not too sure how lenient they are but my guess is i doubt they will be much as they give out a lot of offers for maths. Also the A* for further maths docent have to come from your average including FP3 but rather the average of your 3 best A2 modules so if you're doing more than 3 A2 modules (guessing you are) they can be changed around and go towards the A* instead. (well thats how it works with edexcel)

also wow what made you do all 3 STEP papers :O .

Ah that's relieving, I am taking 4 A2 modules overall for further maths, so hopefully I'll be able to do better in the others.

I basically wanted to maximise my chances of getting in Warwick, and my college pays for them so no reason not to really. I've been having STEP classes in and outside of college for two years so hoping I can get a good grade in those.

Fingers crossed I make meet the offer!
Reply 118
Original post by nonamepete420
Ah that's relieving, I am taking 4 A2 modules overall for further maths, so hopefully I'll be able to do better in the others.

I basically wanted to maximise my chances of getting in Warwick, and my college pays for them so no reason not to really. I've been having STEP classes in and outside of college for two years so hoping I can get a good grade in those.

Fingers crossed I make meet the offer!

ahh right and well good luck, hopefully see you there next year.
Reply 119
so, now that STEP 1 and 2 have been , how are you all feeling ? do you think youve met your STEP offer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending