The Student Room Group

need help with this english litreature 9-1 question question 1a

Macbeth from Act 1 Scene 3, lines 128 to 153 In this extract, Macbeth has just been told that he is to become Thane of Cawdor.

MACBETH [Aside] Two truths are told As happy prologues to the swelling act Of the imperial theme. (To ROSS and ANGUS) I thank you, gentlemen. 130 (Aside) This supernatural soliciting Cannot be ill cannot be good. If ill, Why hath it given me earnest of success, Commencing in a truth? I am Thane of Cawdor. If good, why do I yield to that suggestion 135 Whose horrid image doth unfix my hair, And make my seated heart knock at my ribs Against the use of nature? Present fears Are less than horrible imaginings. My thought, whose murder yet is but fantastical, 140 Shakes so my single state of man, that function Is smothered in surmise, and nothing is But what is not. BANQUO (To ROSS and ANGUS) Look how our partner’s rapt. MACBETH (Aside) If chance will have me king, why, chance may crown me, Without my stir. BANQUO New honours come upon him 145 Like our strange garments cleave not to their mould But with the aid of use.

MACBETH (Aside) Come what come may, Time and the hour runs through the roughest day. BANQUO Worthy Macbeth, we stay upon your leisure.

MACBETH Give me your favour. My dull brain was wrought 150 With things forgotten. Kind gentlemen, your pains Are registered where every day I turn The leaf to read them. Let us toward the king.

1 (a) Explore how Shakespeare presents the reactions of Macbeth in this extract. Refer closely to the extract in your answer.
(20)

(b) In this extract, Macbeth reacts to the predictions made by the witches. Explain the importance of predictions elsewhere in the play. In your answer, you must consider: how predictions are shown the reasons for the predictions. You must refer to the context of the play in your answer.
(20)
(Total for Question 1 = 40 marks)
Original post by liamlarner
Macbeth from Act 1 Scene 3, lines 128 to 153 In this extract, Macbeth has just been told that he is to become Thane of Cawdor.

MACBETH [Aside] Two truths are told As happy prologues to the swelling act Of the imperial theme. (To ROSS and ANGUS) I thank you, gentlemen. 130 (Aside) This supernatural soliciting Cannot be ill cannot be good. If ill, Why hath it given me earnest of success, Commencing in a truth? I am Thane of Cawdor. If good, why do I yield to that suggestion 135 Whose horrid image doth unfix my hair, And make my seated heart knock at my ribs Against the use of nature? Present fears Are less than horrible imaginings. My thought, whose murder yet is but fantastical, 140 Shakes so my single state of man, that function Is smothered in surmise, and nothing is But what is not. BANQUO (To ROSS and ANGUS) Look how our partner’s rapt. MACBETH (Aside) If chance will have me king, why, chance may crown me, Without my stir. BANQUO New honours come upon him 145 Like our strange garments cleave not to their mould But with the aid of use.

MACBETH (Aside) Come what come may, Time and the hour runs through the roughest day. BANQUO Worthy Macbeth, we stay upon your leisure.

MACBETH Give me your favour. My dull brain was wrought 150 With things forgotten. Kind gentlemen, your pains Are registered where every day I turn The leaf to read them. Let us toward the king.

1 (a) Explore how Shakespeare presents the reactions of Macbeth in this extract. Refer closely to the extract in your answer.
(20)

(b) In this extract, Macbeth reacts to the predictions made by the witches. Explain the importance of predictions elsewhere in the play. In your answer, you must consider: how predictions are shown the reasons for the predictions. You must refer to the context of the play in your answer.
(20)
(Total for Question 1 = 40 marks)

You should do at least 1 paragraph on how they are shown in the extract e.g. sparks ambition that may be unwanted
Then do 4-5 from elsewhere, perhaps including:

Predictions always come true, although sometimes in unexpected ways (prediction about Birnan wood and how it comes true)

Predictions may come true as a result of the prediction being made (Lady Macbeth only encourages Macbeth because of the prediction, "shalt be what thou art promised")

The two parts to the question have equal marks, so split your answer equally between them.
Look at how shocked Macbeth is, shown by the physical reaction of his hair and heart. He is described as 'rapt' - in a daze.
Look at what goes through his mind. We don't get the details but see how he twice describes the image that is in his head.
Look at Shakespeare's skill in language. If for a minute you ignore the facts, what sort of language does Macbeth use? 'ill', 'horrid', 'supernatural', 'murder', against...nature'. These all show his state of mind when he gets the first indication that the witches were correct.
Look at his choice of 'yield', meaning to surrender, followed later by a contrasting thought that maybe he will become king without needing to do anything wrong.

The reason for the predictions is an interesting idea. Why do the witches tell him these half-truths? One clue might come right from the start where we learn that although the witches can cause terrible harm to the sailor whose wife upset them, they cannot sink his ship and kill him. "Though his bark cannot be lost,. Yet it shall be tempest-tossed." How far are the witches using Macbeth to achieve their evil aims?
Shakespeare presents Macbeths reaction, to the predictions of the witches coming to reality, as being physically distraughted to a content. Macbeth is tormented by the “horrid image” of regicide, by using the adjective of “horrid” it solidifies how Macbeth is almost frightened and repulsed by the witch’s prophecies. Macbeth goes further and explains how the prophecies has left him in pain and agony in which it “unfix my hair and make my seated heart knock at my ribs”. Through the verb “unfix” Shakespeare shows to his audience how Macbeth is left unsettled and disturbed it could also show that Macbeth is no longer in control of himself as he is detached from clearly thinking. Shakespeare also displays the psychical inner turmoil of Macbeth in which of the juxtaposition of his heart becoming “seated” and “knocked. It solidifies the physical distraught of Macbeth as his heart becomes agitated with the thoughts “against the use of nature” this phrase forebodes us of Macbeth going against the great chain of being and which makes Macbeth lose his sanity further on the play. It shows that Macbeth reaction is which of physical unitability as of the images of his hair and heart shows the lack of control over his body this is due to of his thought on defying the great chain of being.

On the other hand as Macbeth soliloquy progresses this reaction is contrasted as he his enchanted but still he is unsteady by these thoughts it shows now the lack of control of Macbeth thoughts. Macbeth refers to the thought of murder as being “yet is but fantastical” through it highlights how Macbeth sees these thoughts as being above realism, as almost being supernatural. However these thoughts “shakes so my single state of man” of Macbeth, the powerful verb “shakes “means to fall this could convey that Macbeth is in an unsteady position. Foreshadowing how the witches’ predictions lead to his downfall as a character. Yet Macbeth is quick to jump on the thought of murder this portrayed through the metaphor of “smothered in surmise” surmise means think or infer without certain or strong evidence. We can infer the Macbeth thought are now irrational, this is as he is smothered, and establishes that Macbeth is quick to jump to conclusion which is a flaw. Shakespeare presents the reaction of Macbeth as being strucken and yet he is rapt by the idea of becoming king, it reveals Macbeth murderous side as he is quick to assume of murder even though not mentioned by the witches.
I'm literally doing this exact sheet right now :frown: The struggle is real

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending