The Student Room Group

Law 2017 AQA AS unit 1 and 2

No law thread yet for this year. If anyone has any predictions what may come up let us know!!!!!
Hey!! I'm doing these exams too! What topics you don't for Unit 1 and unit 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DoctorDan
Hey! I've been saying this on multiple threads now because I've been working on the predictions for while. But if you need any predictions on Unit 1 Parliamentary Law Making, Delegated Legislation and Criminal Courts and Lay People then let me know! Good luck in the exam guys! :smile:

Me pls xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DoctorDan
Parliamentary law making:

Question 1 Could be law-making process for the first question in this topic. The question hasn’t been on since 2014. Last year’s question gave students the choice between discussing influences on Parliament. So, it’s unlikely that will come as question one this year but you never know!

Question 2 Could be a question on influences this year in terms of the second question on this topic. The law-making process has been the second question on this topic twice for both the 2015 and 2016 paper.

Question 3 Always going to be and advantages/disadvantages question no doubt about that. The 2016 paper covered disadvantages of law making so I predict a question which will ask us to discuss both advantages and disadvantages of law making. Or we could get a question focusing on advantages since that hasn’t been on the paper since 2012. We could even get a question of advantages/disadvantages of pressure groups as that hasn’t been on the paper since 2014.

Delegated Legislation:

Question 1 Always going to be a question on types of delegated legislation. Last year the first question allowed students to discuss any two forms of delegated legislation so our question this year could be on two specific forms of delegated legislation. There has never been a question on one specific form of delegated legislation.

Question 2 Most likely going to be a question on parliamentary & judicial controls. A question which focused on Parliamentary controls was asked in last year’s paper. Ever since the June 2012 paper, AQA have mostly been switching between parliamentary and judicial controls on a yearly basis which leads me to believe we will get a question on judicial controls this time round.

Question 3 Between 2014 and 2016 AQA have switched between advantages and disadvantages and reasons for delegated legislation. Last year AQA asked about both advantages and disadvantages of delegated legislation so this year’s question could be focused on either advantages and disadvantages separately or why Parliament delegates law-making power. Reasons for delegated legislation were seen in the 2015, 2012 and 2011 paper.

Criminal Courts and Lay People (disclaimer, this topic is harder to predict):

Question 1 - So last year the question focused on trial/appeal courts and types of cases dealt with by the courts. So this year for the first question on this topic it could be one focused on Jury/Magistrates qualifications, training and selection.
Question 2 - Last year the second question of this topic focused on the qualification and training of lay magistrates. A question on the role of the jury or Magistrates' duties is a prediction for this year. In the 2013 paper the qualification and selection of jurors also came up as the second question on this topic as well meaning there is a chance that it could also be the question for this year.

Question 3 - Always focuses on the advantages and disadvantages of lay persons. Last year they asked about the disadvantages of lay persons. AQA can give you a choice between jurors or magistrates and usually ask you to specifically talk about either advantages or disadvantages. I predict that the question for this year could be an advantages of lay persons question which either gives us a choice of discussing those of jurors or magistrates or forces us to reference to both magistrates and jurors.

"There has never been a question on one specific form of delegated legislation"
*cries*
Reply 4
For the following question:
Briefly explain how the law sets the standard of the reasonable man and one risk factor affecting this standard.

How many types of reasonable man do you have to talk about to get sound??
Original post by new1234
For the following question:
Briefly explain how the law sets the standard of the reasonable man and one risk factor affecting this standard.

How many types of reasonable man do you have to talk about to get sound??

You would mention (AND explain) the cases of Bolam v frien hospital, Nettleship v Weston and Paris.
Any predictions for tort? Im so nervous
Reply 7
Original post by jasmine321
You would mention (AND explain) the cases of Bolam v frien hospital, Nettleship v Weston and Paris.

So only 2 reasonable men?
Reply 8
Original post by Zillaabonbillaa
Any predictions for tort? Im so nervous

Duty of care and risk factors.
Original post by new1234
So only 2 reasonable men?

I'd do professional, learner and young people and if timings good then include the ordinary person doing the task.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rebeccael28
I'd do professional, learner and young people and if timings good then include the ordinary person doing the task.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What if it asks you for reasonable man + 1 risk factor? How many would you do then as you are short for timing since risk factor is already takiing up time.
Original post by new1234
What if it asks you for reasonable man + 1 risk factor? How many would you do then as you are short for timing since risk factor is already takiing up time.

I'd do 3 and give a quick sum up of what it is and the case (learner professional and young person) then do the risk factor

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd do 3 and give a quick sum up of what it is and the case (learner professional and young person) then do the risk factor

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay I'll try but I doubt I will write fast enough :///
Original post by new1234
Okay I'll try but I doubt I will write fast enough :///

You will be fine!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
You will be fine!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hopefully!!
Sup guys? Unit 2 tomorrow anyone got any predictions?

Quick Reply

Latest