The Student Room Group

Economics AS EDEXCEL 2017 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Milts
trust me all this site does it scare the **** out of you loool

Legit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SubZero~
From my teacher. It wouldn't lead to a whole outward shift in the PPF because it's not like there is an increase in BOTH capital and consumer goods, or economic growth to shift the PPF outward. Again this is what my teacher has explained.

If you are referring to the question on how an economy can produce more capital goods the answer was A shift on the PPF. All the other answers were not related to production of capital goods and a shift on the PPF will allow you to produce more consumer goods & capital goods.
Original post by keynes24
If you are referring to the question on how an economy can produce more capital goods the answer was A shift on the PPF. All the other answers were not related to production of capital goods and a shift on the PPF will allow you to produce more consumer goods & capital goods.

That was my argument vs. my teachers. I said in the long run if there is an increase in the number of capital goods being produced, these can further the production of consumer goods, which could lead to an outward shift in the PPF. I didn't the sit the paper since I'm in Year 13.
That was my argument vs. my teachers. I said in the long run if there is an increase in the number of capital goods being produced, these can further the production of consumer goods, which could lead to an outward shift in the PPF. I didn't the sit the paper since I'm in Year 13.

Thing is, your reasoning is correct but the question stated most likely. An increase in capital goods does not necessarily mean more cosumer goods in the future (I know it should, but if you assume so its a sign this is less likely).

It can lead to a fall in utility as in the immediate, more capital goods means less consumer goods (opportunity cost). If output of consumer goods reduces, prices rise thus utility falls.

The question didnt ask how to increase capital goods, it asked what an increase in capital goods may cause.
Original post by cricketoo567
The question didnt ask how to increase capital goods, it asked what an increase in capital goods may cause.

Which one of the following is the most likely effect of an economy producing more capital goods?
Original post by cricketoo567
Thing is, your reasoning is correct but the question stated most likely. An increase in capital goods does not necessarily mean more cosumer goods in the future (I know it should, but if you assume so its a sign this is less likely).

It can lead to a fall in utility as in the immediate, more capital goods means less consumer goods (opportunity cost). If output of consumer goods reduces, prices rise thus utility falls.

Yeah I understand this too.
Which one of the following is the most likely effect of an economy producing more capital goods?

I don't think that was the question though? o.O Wasn't it "Which one of the following is the most likely effect of an increase in capital goods?" or something like that?
I don't think that was the question though? o.O Wasn't it "Which one of the following is the most likely effect of an increase in capital goods?" or something like that?

That was the question.
That was the question.

Alright. Well in my opinion I didn't feel that any clear answer would have jumped out at me immediately if I sat that paper, given the other options to be honest.
Anyone got predictions for the macro paper?
Original post by Demesne7
out of curiosity, which did you select? you seemed to know your stuff... :biggrin:
If you mean which 20 marker, I did the one about government intervention in the cigarette market :smile:
Original post by George J-P
i reckon the max an A wld be is 75percent, no higher
true
Reply 413
does anyone know the 10 markers question
How do you revise macro, and topics are the hardest in you guys opinion
Original post by cally101
How do you revise macro, and topics are the hardest in you guys opinion

econplusdal is saving me right now.
Reply 416
Hi all!

What do you think is likely to come up in the AS Micro paper on Monday?

Any idea, thoughts, recommendations?

Thanks!! :biggrin:
Original post by Levai
I've got a copy of monday's micro paper, anyone need it?

Yes please that would be useful
Original post by Levai
I've got a copy of monday's micro paper, anyone need it?

Yes Please...
Does anyone know the distinction between value and volume of GDP? it's mentioned in the spec but never came across it before...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending