The Student Room Group

Aqa as media

How did everyone find the AQA as media exam today?
Original post by Charlottegrace15
How did everyone find the AQA as media exam today?

fingers crossed it went well! I found that question 5 was quite general. I talked about stereotypes a lot and whether my documentaries met them or not, does anyone know if this was the right thing to do??
Original post by Andreww222
fingers crossed it went well! I found that question 5 was quite general. I talked about stereotypes a lot and whether my documentaries met them or not, does anyone know if this was the right thing to do??

Well I talked about how my documentaries (blackfish, Amy and 24 hours in Police Custody) had represented the companies/people, such as Blackfish they represented SeaWorld as a bad company due to interviews, archive footage etc with examples and how it attracted the audience. wasn't too sure tho. I think as it was a general question, I don't think there is no right or wrong answer.

How did u find section A?
Hey! I really liked it - loved Question 6 or section B (I did Blackfish, Before The Flood, and Serial for my documentary case study)
Original post by moppp
I didn't like Section A... found the institution and audience questions particularly hard :frown:

I liked audience but I agree that the institution one wasn't amazing - I didn't really have a lot to say for that one either :/
Well I talked about how my documentaries (blackfish, Amy and 24 hours in Police Custody) had represented the companies/people, such as Blackfish they represented SeaWorld as a bad company due to interviews, archive footage etc with examples and how it attracted the audience. wasn't too sure tho. I think as it was a general question, I don't think there is no right or wrong answer.

How did u find section A?

that's quite a relief actually because I did a similar thing for UKIP: The First 100 days. I talked about how Channel 4 positioned the audience to take a negative view on UKIP but the audience took an oppositional view because it was overly biased! (sound right??)

Section A was mixed! I loved the media forms question and answered that no problem, audience and representation were okay but the institution question was horrid! might as well not bothered answering it!

How did you do on section A???
Reply 6
that's quite a relief actually because I did a similar thing for UKIP: The First 100 days. I talked about how Channel 4 positioned the audience to take a negative view on UKIP but the audience took an oppositional view because it was overly biased! (sound right??)

Section A was mixed! I loved the media forms question and answered that no problem, audience and representation were okay but the institution question was horrid! might as well not bothered answering it!

section A wasn't as bad as I thought but that bloody institution questions was so hard I'd be lucky to get 2-3 marks ahah. Forms was so good and representation, plus audience wasn't awful. Answered Q 6 for section B and spoke about all three platforms and how they used familiar or non familiar content and products to attract an audience kinda argued both ways but It is so subjective you can never be sure:///
Original post by beth_3180
section A wasn't as bad as I thought but that bloody institution questions was so hard I'd be lucky to get 2-3 marks ahah. Forms was so good and representation, plus audience wasn't awful. Answered Q 6 for section B and spoke about all three platforms and how they used familiar or non familiar content and products to attract an audience kinda argued both ways but It is so subjective you can never be sure:///

hopefully, everyone did alright :P

Yeah that sounds about right! I know same, but like you I found the institution one quite difficult as well as the representation, will probably only get a couple of marks for both.
Yeah that sounds about right! I know same, but like you I found the institution one quite difficult as well as the representation, will probably only get a couple of marks for both.

You can never tell with media though! We've probably done best on institution and representation and worse on forms and audience haha
You can never tell with media though! We've probably done best on institution and representation and worse on forms and audience haha

Haha that is most probably true! 😂😂
Do you by any chance remember the section B questions and if they were based around products? Unsure if I misread the question as my case study is based on news!!
Original post by charl0tte99
Do you by any chance remember the section B questions and if they were based around products? Unsure if I misread the question as my case study is based on news!!

Q6 was "Producers rely on familiar ______ and content to attract audiences." How far do you agree? or something along those lines. I answered that one not the representation one, so don't know it
Original post by charl0tte99

I believe question 5 was along the lines of 'explore the representation of media products and how it appeals to audiences within those media products' not too sure tho

I did the films Spectre, Beauty and The Beast and I Daniel Blake. For broadcast, I spoke about stereotypes etc, but for E-Media and Print, I spoke about how the institutions were represented (commercial nature of the institutions and how mainstream production companies tended to be more commercial than the independent companies). I think it was quite a risky thing to do (speaking about how the institutions were represented) but I was running out of time. I think that once you mentioned stereotypes on all three platforms, you should be alright .
Original post by chelsey_j7
I did the films Spectre, Beauty and The Beast and I Daniel Blake. For broadcast, I spoke about stereotypes etc, but for E-Media and Print, I spoke about how the institutions were represented (commercial nature of the institutions and how mainstream production companies tended to be more commercial than the independent companies). I think it was quite a risky thing to do (speaking about how the institutions were represented) but I was running out of time. I think that once you mentioned stereotypes on all three platforms, you should be alright .

Yeah I hope so, I did UKIP the first 100 days (so talked about negative representation on Channel 4 for being overly biased), celebrity big brother (representing the characters in a negative/positive light - they select housemates that will argue and cause entertainment (Katz)) and planet earth II (positive representation because it shows audiences the effect were having on animals and positions them to take a positive stance)

Hope that is alright!!!
Yeah I hope so, I did UKIP the first 100 days (so talked about negative representation on Channel 4 for being overly biased), celebrity big brother (representing the characters in a negative/positive light - they select housemates that will argue and cause entertainment (Katz)) and planet earth II (positive representation because it shows audiences the effect were having on animals and positions them to take a positive stance)

Hope that is alright!!!

Nice. Sounds like you should be alright. I'm so nervous for results day :/
Original post by chelsey_j7
Nice. Sounds like you should be alright. I'm so nervous for results day :/

Same here!! I'm sure you'll be fine! Just remember that everything happens for a reason :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending