The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE Chemistry 18th May/June 2017 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by archibald300
Yh I swear that's how you're supposed to work it out right?

Yeah think so it was the only way I could work its empircal formula out, man im so tired.....
I'm not great on reversible reactions. One question was about a change in pressure and the effect on the rate... I think. And one was an increase in temp and the effect on yield?

It was slightly exothermic... wasn't the enthalpy change -9 kJ?

A pressure difference would alter the rate of reaction.... but not affect any yield if 2 moles were produced either way. But I cannnot remember what way round the questions were. :tongue:
(edited 6 years ago)
Don't worry - a lot of my friends got the same too :smile:
Me too! I have officially completed 6 out of 28 exams!
Just take a short break, then get back to revising otherwise you feel really guilty for not doing stuff which is the worst. :smile:
Have you got an exam tmoz?
Original post by gpit6903
Yeah think so it was the only way I could work its empircal formula out, man im so tired.....
Original post by Darwinion
I'm not great on reversible reactions. One question was about a change in pressure and the effect on the rate... I think. And one was an increase in temp and the effect on yield?

Is anyone going to upload a unofficial marking scheme,

we need to try and remember the questions....

Increase in temp and pressure = increase in rate of reaction

increase in pressure = no change in yield

increase in temp = less yield (i think it asked that or equivalent other way round)
For both the rate decreased
For the temp one the yield increased ( i think - forward react was exo?)
For pressure i put no change because 2 moles either side

Original post by Emm22
What answers did you guys get for the equilibrium questions?
Reply 85
Original post by gpit6903
Is anyone going to upload a unofficial marking scheme,

we need to try and remember the questions....

Increase in temp and pressure = increase in rate of reaction

increase in pressure = no change in yield

increase in temp = less yield (i think it asked that or equivalent other way round)

The question was for equilibrium:
Originally at 500 degrees then they asked how a lower temp of 400 would effect rate and yield

Lowered pressure from 4atm to 2atm and asked in effect on the rate and yield
i thought pressure didn't have an effect on rate of reaction??
Original post by Emm22
The question was for equilibrium:
Originally at 500 degrees then they asked how a lower temp of 400 would effect rate and yield

Lowered pressure from 4atm to 2atm and asked in effect on the rate and yield

Either way I think i got it the right way round, or answered the question completely wrong.... oh well

I hate forgetting the questions after
Reply 88
Original post by Queenie123

I don't know, does a lower pressure affect the rate of reaction
For the one where you had to find the x of h2o, I did not really understand it and I wrote 8 as an answer.
Next to the equation I wrote the mass, molar mass and moles for each, but do you think I would get any marks for this?
Original post by Emm22
I don't know, does a lower pressure affect the rate of reaction

increasing the pressure on a reaction involving reacting gases increases the rate of reaction...

(
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/basicrates/pressure.html)

so i guess a lower pressure equals a lower rate of reaction
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 91
How did you guys find the paper in general? Because I'm having bad feeling about how I've done in mine!😬

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did people include all those symbols for the galvanisation one?
Original post by Queenie123

No it does, pressure and temperature have an effect on the yield, its the catalyst that doesn't have any effect on the yield
Ahhh yes! The temperature in the question was lowered to 400 not raised. So the forward yield increased as the reaction was exothermic. The equilibrium moves in the direction to counteract any change.

Increase in pressure always increases rate as there is less space for the particles to move around in so they collide more frequently. But it won't increase yield if the same number of moles are produced both ways (as was the case in our question).
(edited 6 years ago)
I found it okish although I messed up the % of oxygen question. You'll be fine don't worry 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ITSJDOG
How did you guys find the paper in general? Because I'm having bad feeling about how I've done in mine!😬

Posted from TSR Mobile

same- I was completely not confident in my answers, unlike biology. My friend said she found the chemistry easier than the biology, but for me, it was the other way around!
What did people get for the mass question.... i got 9kg
Reply 98
How did everyone find it today?
Original post by Dhdhdhsh
How did everyone find it today?

Okish how did you find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending