The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE Chemistry 18th May/June 2017 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Darwinion
For the iron mixing in the water... I just said that water was needed for the reaction to take place. I couldn't think of anything more technical to say about it. And it was only a 1 mark question. Would that be enough to get the mark?

I said that iron only reacts with oxygen and water so oxygen is needed. You'll probably get the mark
What did people put for the purposes of the reactions in the in the iron ore/blast furnace question?

For the production of CO2 I said that the reaction was strongly exothermic and raised the temperature of the process.

And for the production of CO I said that this was the main reducing agent used in the process (though not the only one).
Original post by BerylTheBird
I put that the higher temperature would provide a higher kinetic energy hence, each particle will have more chance of having enough activation energy for the reaction to start. Not 100% sure tho

I put the same thing. It's most probably correct.
For the iron mixing in the water... I just said that water was needed for the reaction to take place. I couldn't think of anything more technical to say about it. And it was only a 1 mark question. Would that be enough to get the mark?

My answer was that Iron needs a solvent to dissolve, and water was used as a solvent.
For the test for chloride ions, i said add hydrochloric acid instead of nitric acid. Will I lose a mark?

(Edited text in bold)
(edited 6 years ago)
we have a very complete mark scheme
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4721406
but some things may be wrong :frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Jimmyfox
Would I lose a mark for the Moles question if I put 7.15?

Most probably. I don't think Moles can be anything else than an integer or integer and 1/2, for example 4.4
Do you think if I put 7.15 I would lose a mark?

Someone asked my Chemistry teacher afterwards and he said you would lose a mark for that; apparently you do have to round it to the nearest whole number though. I imagine you'll still get the three method marks though so it doesn't really matter!

Most probably. I don't think Moles can be anything else than an integer or integer and 1/2, for example 4.5
Reply 149
Does anyone have any ideas about what topics the second paper would have?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I struggled with 3 bits. What did people put for the very last question as to the 2nd reason for increase in rate of reaction as temperature increased?

I started to write that the teacher must have broken up the solid in smaller chunks, but then crossed it out as I figured that would increase the rate regardless of temp.rise. Plus the fact that it had already been touched upon with the iron filings in another question, so thought they wouldn't ask the same thing twice :tongue:
So I ended up putting that the water particles receive more kinetic energy as the temp.increased so they breach the activation energy required more easily.

Also I'm not confident about m,y answer to the ionic equation they asked us to write. I ended up putting: 2Na+ + At2- plus Cl2 gives 2(Na+ Cl-) plus At2. Something like that anyway.
Dunno if I'd be penalised for putting in the sodium spectator ions.

And the magnesium sulfate crystals question... what did peeps put for the formulae of the 2 substances in the filtrate?
I put water (H20) that wasn't crystallised and also MgS04. I nearly put sulfuric acid in case it was in excess but the question didn't state that.

for the 2nd reason to why temperature speed up the rate of reaction, I put the temperature also causes gases to expand, getting larger in size. thus more frequent collisions and a faster reaction.

for the magnesium sulfate question I had no idea what would be filtered so I put sulfuric acid and magnesium oxide
Original post by ITSJDOG

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm thinking Electrolysis (aluminium extraction wasn't mentioned), more stuff about the industry like the Haber and Contact press. They always have ethanol production questions and a bunch of calculations.
Original post by Greenapplepear
Hi guys,
this is a thread for people who are doing the Edexcel IGCSE Chemistry exam in May/June 2017.

Here's the Specification:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20GCSE/Chemistry/2011/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/9780997864786_INT_GCSE_CHEM_SPECSAMS_ISS5_comb.PDF

Past Papers and Mark Schemes:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-gcses-and-edexcel-certificates/international-gcse-chemistry-2011.coursematerials.html#filterQuery=Pearson-UK:Category%2FExam-materials

Revision Guide:
https://nzkhanew.wikispaces.com/file/view/Edexcel%2Bigcse%2Bchemistry%2BRevision%2Bguide.pdf

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/resources/igcse_edexcel_chemistry_revision

Also, post your answers to the following questions:
1.Favourite Topic
2.Least Favourite Topic
3.Most Confident Topic
4.Least Confident Topic
5.Have You Started Revising Yet?

Good Luck everyone, anymore resources would also be useful!!! :smile::smile::smile:

Hi Guys I don't feel I done well on paper 1 at all so I need to do well in paper 2 to boost my grade any ideas on the difference and topics that come up on paper two?
What do you guys think the grade boundaries will be like this year? I really want to get a B but after this paper I'm not so confident. I think I left out about 25 marks worth of questions. If this years boundaries are anything like last years, a 55% gets you a B, so I gonyl had to get 66 marks on this paper. I'm seriously afraid. I really don't want to resit..
Original post by Tatsien
Most probably. I don't think Moles can be anything else than an integer or integer and 1/2, for example 4.5

But would I lose more than one mark? I don't think I used the conventional calculation, as people were getting whole numbers for their answer
Original post by ITSJDOG

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think electrolysis will come up, lots of mathsy qs, more organic and industrial chemistry...and maybe dot and cross diagrams. That's my guess.
Original post by Jimmyfox1
But would I lose more than one mark? I don't think I used the conventional calculation, as people were getting whole numbers for their answer

No-one got a whole answer. They all got 7.149 correct to 4 s.f.
Reply 157
I knew all about Galvanising and Zinc being more reactive than iron but the symbols we had to include really threw me off.
Reply 158

I think you're always supposed to round it - but if you managed to get to that point you'll probably get the marks for working. I found the Oxygen one hard; I got 28% alongside many others and we all noticed it was a bit off, tricky question.
Reply 159
I think I've done super bad in chemistry this year. 😒 Does anyone know when the resit would be? I'm definitely not gonna get the grade I want

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending