The Student Room Group

What does degree classification stand for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello guys,
My friend and I are in the process of applying to British universities. She was asked about this degree classification thing. I looked up online and found out it's a pass/merit/distinction ranking . We, in Algeria, have A,B,C and so on, so what shall we choose according to our classification in our home country? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by Nadjibus
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello guys,
My friend and I are in the process of applying to British universities. She was asked about this degree classification thing. I looked up online and found out it's a pass/merit/distinction ranking . We, in Algeria, have A,B,C and so on, so what shall we choose according to our classification in our home country? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think you are looking at something else - probably masters.

Degrees in the UK are graded 1st; 2:1; 2:2; third and pass. Most people want either a 1st or a 2:1
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello guys,

Hello,

You will need to contact the universities individually as their entry requirements will all vary because you are an international student. In addition, you may need to pass a UK recognised English qualification and take an additional foundation year before enrolling onto the chosen degree programme.

For example, Brighton University requires:

Undergraduate
We require students taking the (Baccalauréat de l'Enseignement Secondaire) or شهادة ال ب كال وري ا ل ل ت ع ل يم ال ت ق ني (Baccalauréat Technique / Commercial) to successfully complete an international foundation year or equivalent.

https://www.brighton.ac.uk/international/study-with-us/your-country-info/algeria-equivalencies.aspx

This taken from the UCAS website:
Baccalaureat de l’Enseignement Secondaire
May be accepted as a group qualification by some
institutions as satisfying general entrance requirements,
provided that an overall grade of at least ‘bien’ (14 - 15) has been
achieved. May usually need to be supplemented with

GCE A level.

Please download this document which provides further information:

https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/2015-international-qualifications.pdf
Reply 3
Original post by squeakysquirrel
I think you are looking at something else - probably masters.

Degrees in the UK are graded 1st; 2:1; 2:2; third and pass. Most people want either a 1st or a 2:1

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry for not pointing this out at the beginning, but we're applying for a PhD.
Reply 4
Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait... I thought PhD was a pass or a fail only.
Posted from TSR Mobile

PhD is more or less a pass/fail system. You either get the PhD or not (and tbh it's very difficult to not get it as worst case scenario they usually have you spend some time doing "corrections" on your thesis). You may get some kind of special mention by the thesis defence panel but it's kind of irrelevant.

If you're talking about entry REQUIREMENTS then pass, merit, distinction are masters classifications while 1st/2nd (2:1 or 2:2)/3rd are undergraduate classifications. 1st/Distinction are the highest, while pass/3rd are the minimum (although a pass at a masters course would be equivalent to a 2:1, a merit a 1st and distinction usually even beyond this as the requirements to earn the degree, as well as the material covered, are significantly higher than undergraduate).
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
PhD is more or less a pass/fail system. You either get the PhD or not (and tbh it's very difficult to not get it as worst case scenario they usually have you spend some time doing "corrections" on your thesis). You may get some kind of special mention by the thesis defence panel but it's kind of irrelevant.

If you're talking about entry REQUIREMENTS then pass, merit, distinction are masters classifications while 1st/2nd (2:1 or 2:2)/3rd are undergraduate classifications. 1st/Distinction are the highest, while pass/3rd are the minimum (although a pass at a masters course would be equivalent to a 2:1, a merit a 1st and distinction usually even beyond this as the requirements to earn the degree, as well as the material covered, are significantly higher than undergraduate).

I'm applying for a PhD, I don't hold one

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm applying for a PhD, I don't hold one

Posted from TSR Mobile

See the second half of my comments then.
Reply 8
Posted from TSR Mobile

Then you definitely need to contact each university and ask them. There isn't one central table of international equivalent qualifications and each international application will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.

As uberteknik says above, you will also need an IELTS English qualification, both for university entrance and in order to get a Tier 4 UK Study Visa. Remember to factor that into your plans.

Although looking at your other posts here, last November you were a first year undergraduate at CCCU. If I were you, I'd concentrate on your undergrad studies. For a Humanities PhD, you will definitely need a Masters degree or equivalent.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Klix88
Then you definitely need to contact each university and ask them. There isn't one central table of international equivalent qualifications and each international application will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.

As uberteknik says above, you will also need an IELTS English qualification, both for university entrance and in order to get a Tier 4 UK Study Visa. Remember to factor that into your plans.

Although looking at your other posts here, last November you were a first year undergraduate at CCCU. If I were you, I'd concentrate on your undergrad studies. For a Humanities PhD, you will definitely need a Masters degree or equivalent.

I was at CCCU only for a short programme. I already hold an MA :smile:
Reply 10
I was at CCCU only for a short programme. I already hold an MA :smile:

So which degree classifications are you actually asking about? Masters? Or PhD?

And I have moved your thread to the Postgrad forum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Doonesbury
So which degree classifications are you actually asking about? Masters? Or PhD?

And I have moved your thread to the Postgrad forum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My friend was asked about her degree classifications on the application for a PhD, she has an M.A as well. That's all
Reply 12
My friend was asked about her degree classifications on the application for a PhD, she has an M.A as well. That's all

As has been said, there is no central table for either undergraduate or Masters degree overseas equivalence, and each uni can calculate it in their own way. Your friend needs to contact the uni(s) to which she is applying, and ask them.
Reply 13

So if she has a classification she simply needs to tell them. Or her grades. Or GPA. Or a transcript. Or whatever she has.

There's no point us telling you what the UK classes are - she has whatever marks she has, and the university she is applying to will use the information accordingly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending