The Student Room Group

aqa maths grading system?

how do you get an A or A*?

My school have said you need 480 UMS over all 6 papers and averaging 90 UMS on core 3 and 4 for an A*.

So could:

core 1: 80 (UMS)
core 2: 80
stats 1: 80
stats 2: 80
core 3: 90
core 4: 90
get you an A*?
Original post by a.myhall
how do you get an A or A*?

My school have said you need 480 UMS over all 6 papers and averaging 90 UMS on core 3 and 4 for an A*.

So could:

core 1: 80 (UMS)
core 2: 80
stats 1: 80
stats 2: 80
core 3: 90
core 4: 90
get you an A*?

Thats the minimum for an A*
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames

ok, thought so. What is the minimum for an A?
ok, thought so. What is the minimum for an A?

480 UMS
Reply 4
480 UMS

thank you, so it's the same amount of UMS just without the need for the 90 on C3/C4
Reply 5

I thought the minimum for an A* was an average of 90 across A2 modules. So not just C3/C4 but something like S1, M1 or D1 as well? Am I wrong?
thank you, so it's the same amount of UMS just without the need for the 90 on C3/C4

Yep.

Original post by zn1
I thought the minimum for an A* was an average of 90 across A2 modules. So not just C3/C4 but something like S1, M1 or D1 as well? Am I wrong?

Nope.
Reply 7
Yep.

Nope.

No I'm not wrong? or are you saying no I'm wrong? Also is D1 supposed to be this easy lol? I've spent a little over a month getting to grips with all C1 after not doing Maths for such a long time and I started D1 today and I'm past half-way through it? I feel it's way easier than it should be for an A-level!
Original post by zn1
No I'm not wrong? or are you saying no I'm wrong? Also is D1 supposed to be this easy lol? I've spent a little over a month getting to grips with all C1 after not doing Maths for such a long time and I started D1 today and I'm past half-way through it? I feel it's way easier than it should be for an A-level!

No as in you're wrong.

D1 is always easy to learn, just remembering everything and doing the exam thats a pain. I wouldnt consider D1 to be proper maths
Reply 9
No as in you're wrong.

D1 is always easy to learn, just remembering everything and doing the exam thats a pain. I wouldnt consider D1 to be proper maths

Ah right okay.

And yeh I agree with you, it's not proper maths but It's great for me as I'm looking to do computing at University and find it a lot more interesting than stats or mechanics. Ye I can see why remembering everything could be an issue but having done a Level 3 in Computing and Computer Science at college, I'm already familiar with most the algorithms, so it's just a really easy exam for me. I'd be silly not to take it.

Quick Reply

Latest