The Student Room Group

Do I need to do two facilitating A-Levels for the Russel Group?

I'm sitting my as levels at the moment, I am taking Maths Stats, History, Economics and Geography. History and Economics I love, but Geography I hate and have already confirmed to drop it next year. I thought I was good enough at Maths to get a B, but after the WJEC C1 paper, I'm having second thoughts XD.
I really struggle with maths and have to put in a lot more effort into it than my other subjects and so I'm not sure I could deal with an extra year doing it.

My question is, if I drop Maths and Geography and fast track a subject like ICT (do the as year and a2 in the same year). Would it severely affect my chances of getting into a Russel Group University? I want to do business management at Liverpool (ABB) or Manchester (AAB). I should be able to get A's in both History and Economics.

Sorry for the long question, but I'm in a real panic after that C1 exam XD
Original post by Faze_Minecraft
I'm sitting my as levels at the moment, I am taking Maths Stats, History, Economics and Geography. History and Economics I love, but Geography I hate and have already confirmed to drop it next year. I thought I was good enough at Maths to get a B, but after the WJEC C1 paper, I'm having second thoughts XD.
I really struggle with maths and have to put in a lot more effort into it than my other subjects and so I'm not sure I could deal with an extra year doing it.

My question is, if I drop Maths and Geography and fast track a subject like ICT (do the as year and a2 in the same year). Would it severely affect my chances of getting into a Russel Group University? I want to do business management at Liverpool (ABB) or Manchester (AAB). I should be able to get A's in both History and Economics.

Have you looked at the websites for each course on the uni sites?
Check to see if that combination is acceptable.
p29 onwards
https://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/media/5272/informedchoices-print.pdf

There arent really any subject requirements for either Uni except the obvious ones of excluding a fee like GS and CT. Contact them if unsure, but nothing on the sites.
Business management is generally a pretty open course, I believe. "Facilitating" subjects aren't as big a deal as they seem. Universities want to see skills. It's best to check what:
1) is necessary
2) is highly recommended/desirable
3) is recommended/could help

Obviously, you must do any subjects of the 1st category. Try and take as many of the second category that you can. When it comes to the third category-do them if you can, but if you dont like them or want to change, dont do them.

Best to check on university websites for each course
Reply 3
Original post by Faze_Minecraft

Don't underestimate the work involved in doing an entire A-level in a year. Will your teachers even allow you to timetable it?

If you are able to get a B in Maths I'd recommend keeping it instead. Maybe see how the rest of Maths AS goes before deciding.

Also if others also found the C1 paper "challenging" then the boundaries will be lower anyway :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Martins1
Business management is generally a pretty open course, I believe. "Facilitating" subjects aren't as big a deal as they seem. Universities want to see skills. It's best to check what:
1) is necessary
2) is highly recommended/desirable
3) is recommended/could help

Obviously, you must do any subjects of the 1st category. Try and take as many of the second category that you can. When it comes to the third category-do them if you can, but if you dont like them or want to change, dont do them.

Best to check on university websites for each course

There arent any I checked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending