The Student Room Group

Thoughts on Piers Morgan asking whether he could identify as an elephant

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
He's an *******
Reply 2
All of this is a load of bull. I guess he's animal fluid or something
He is a ******.
As much as I don't like the guy, he has a point.
he's just a double-chinned arrogant prick that makes a living off making crude remarks for the sake of it as opposed to contributing to society. He's a waste of space, his american show flopped and now he's poisoning morning british television with his stupidity and bigotry.
Reply 6
After much emotional turmoil, I recently made the decision to identify as a penguin.

I'm outraged at how society does not make allowances for people like me. I believe people should not be forced to identify as human if they don't want to.
When Piers Morgan appears to actually be winning an argument on the basis of logic then whatever opinion he's arguing against is stupid. The man says pointlessly provocative rubbish yet he is asking an entirely legitimate question - granted its reducto ad absurdum but even so.

If you can be not a man or a woman it logically follows you can - as they argue - be neither or both. If you're neither then what do you identify as? That gap can be filled by literally anything - including elephant.

I don't care, so long as their actual biological sex doesn't exist rubbish doesn't catch on they can identify as whatever they like provided they don't use said identity to demand special treatment by virtue of minority status.
Original post by DontSweatIt

Hilarious, blunt, yet valid?

So true, Piers is so right here :thumbsup:
It's funny that people are criticising him but nobody's actually offered a counter argument

Posted from TSR Mobile

Call me old fashioned but what we are looking at here is two people - male and female - who have nothing better to do with their time than parade in the media and talk a load of absolute twaddle. These are first world problems - they need to get a life. Piers is right to mock them - if they were in front of me, I would certainly laugh at them - silly silly people
Reply 11
I think we're coming to understand more about gender, but I think that conversation is being derailed by people not listening to what the science says and instead are thinking about the topic emotionally.

From the way it seems to me, gender and biological sex are different, and it's possible for a person to develop with a mismatch between these two. But I'm not convinced there are a hundred and one different scenarios here - it seems like it's one, or the other, or an indeterminate point in-between. Identifying as another species, or an age-kin, or an Apache attack helicopter, seem likely (to me) not to be biological problems but psychological ones.

Having said that, I'm open to looking at new evidence and listening to people's experiences. At the end of the day, I think the most important thing is what stance towards it would promote the most well-being in society, irrespective of the causes or exact nature of the phenomenon.
(edited 6 years ago)
Yeah... the way Piers approached his interviewees was disrespectful all around. His goal should have been to describe to the audience at home to the best of his ability what "non-binary" means, whether or not he believes it exists. Instead he employs his usual tired bully tactics. If you wanted to have a rant, you could do that without the guise of an interview and without wasting two people's time.
I don't know about an elephant, but he's certainly a mammoth turd.

Oh how terrible, a joke about generalisations, stereotypes or prejudices. Witch! Witch! Witch!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Call me old fashioned but what we are looking at here is two people - male and female - who have nothing better to do with their time than parade in the media and talk a load of absolute twaddle. These are first world problems - they need to get a life. Piers is right to mock them - if they were in front of me, I would certainly laugh at them - silly silly people

And that is why they feel the need to educate - because people like YOU are ignorant about it all. Disgusting.
Original post by E102
And that is why they feel the need to educate - because people like YOU are ignorant about it all. Disgusting.

Would you like to be the first to offer an explanation as to why what Piers Morgan said was incorrect?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Underscore__
Would you like to be the first to offer an explanation as to why what Piers Morgan said was incorrect?

Posted from TSR Mobile

He mocked them on television degraded them and made them feel singled out yet again, after everything they have campaigned for - piers cannot identify as an elephant and certainly not a black woman as guess what he isn't black for gods sake! He is taking the piss and it is horrible!
Original post by E102
He mocked them on television degraded them and made them feel singled out yet again, after everything they have campaigned for - piers cannot identify as an elephant and certainly not a black woman as guess what he isn't black for gods sake! He is taking the piss and it is horrible!

But if you can say he can't identify as an elephant or a black woman because he is neither of those things I can just as easily say a man can't identify as a woman and vice versa. He's mocking them because what their talking about is nonsense. You're born with a penis or a vagina, that genitalia in no way dictates the way in which you have to act. You can be a man and like make up just as you can be a woman and like cage fighting. People should stop trying to create new labels for things and just live the way they want to live

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Underscore__

Posted from TSR Mobile

As someone has already said, taking an viewpoint (the need to recognise non-binary) to ridiculous extremes does not render the argument invalid. He therefore hasn't really addressed their argument in the first place, he's just attacked it and made a fallacy in his attempt to do so.

What we should be trying to do here is approach this with humanity, instead of trying to apply cold hard logic. Psychology never has been a science of absolutes, so why should it be here?

Let's suppose, in a society of only heterosexuals, someone identifies as homosexual. Pretty sure people will (and still do) challenge that, but eventually (hopefully) it is accepted. Plenty of people are, after all. Then other people identify as bisexual, asexual and so on. Then Piers Morgan comes out and attacks those terms by stating that he is sexually attracted to Tottenham replica shirts. Did he just win any sort of argument?

That's essentially what he is doing here, with the only difference perhaps being that because we see physical characteristics of a particular sex we struggle to recognise that gender is very much psychological too.

Quick Reply

Latest