The Student Room Group

Asking for extra paper in the GCSE exam?

I have my first ever GCSE exam next week, Geography, and I am in Year 10
Our teacher say that we cannot write outside the box for our answers (the lines allocated) but it doesn't say not to write on that section like it does on the sides. Also, if I ask for paper how am I going to know that they will count that as part of my question because my teacher also said different examiners mark different questions.
Hi, I was told by a teacher (who used to be an examiner) that all examiners simply get your exam booklet answers scanned onto their computers which is why they ask you not to write outside the lines. She said to avoid asking for extra paper because the examiner will probably not see it. In order for the answers written on extra paper to be credited it must be "matched up" via the chief examiner, and most simply don't do it. I'd avoid. Of course if you mess up a sheet then you're going to have to, but try to make use of the space provided, it should be enough.

Hope I've helped :smile:
Reply 2
You fill in your details and the question number on the extra sheet. They match it up.
Reply 3
Original post by Poetic_Innocence
Hi, I was told by a teacher (who used to be an examiner) that all examiners simply get your exam booklet answers scanned onto their computers which is why they ask you not to write outside the lines. She said to avoid asking for extra paper because the examiner will probably not see it. In order for the answers written on extra paper to be credited it must be "matched up" via the chief examiner, and most simply don't do it. I'd avoid. Of course if you mess up a sheet then you're going to have to, but try to make use of the space provided, it should be enough.

Hope I've helped :smile:

Ah thankyou for telling me, that is actually quite worrisome :frown:
Well for 2, 3, 4, mark questions etc. the space is enough for me
however depending on the question sometimes I need extra space for the 6 mark questions and most likely for the 8 mark questions.
If you need extra paper, definitely ask for it. It's better to do that than miss out on marks because you didn't make all the points you wanted to. On the extra piece, make sure you write which question you are answering and put your candidate number, name, paper number, date etc (basically copy out what you wrote on the front of the exam paper). It's also probably a good idea to make it obvious on the actual question paper that you have used extra paper. What I did in my exams was use up all the given space and then when I ran out just write 'extra paper' in brackets at the end and continue writing as normal on your spare piece.
do what the above said ^ and normally they thread it to ur exam paper through the hole punches..
Original post by sulaimanali
do what the above said ^ and normally they thread it to ur exam paper through the hole punches..

what happens if they don't thread it to ur exam paper?
could get lost
Original post by zoobear380
Reply 8
Original post by zoobear380

It'll be fine. Whether they do or not depends on the exam board - OCR tell you not to use a treasury tag.
Reply 9
I've asked for extra paper in many exams. They have to mark all your work so always ask for extra paper!
I had a maths mock exam today and before hand we were told we could ask for extra paper if needed. I did this in an exam, and recieved the extra paper. I showed my working on a question, but at the end when I handed it in the invidualtor ripped 5he extra paper up infront of me and put it in the bin I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experiacne? What should id do? Is this supposed to happen?
hlHi, I did my GCSE s last year and got 8s on subjects that I asked for extra paper on, you just need to be sure to put your name, the subject, the question number, your school reference and etc on each piece of paper. it isn't ideal, so avoid it if you can, but it isn't the end of the world if you need paper.

Quick Reply

Latest