The Student Room Group

Last day at work - handshake, hug or kiss cheek?

I'm 22 and work at an office job as an intern. It's my last day tomorrow in the office and I don't know how to physically say bye to my colleagues. They are all fairly young and mixture of guys and girls.

I've always felt awkward kissing girls on the cheek (family, friends etc). So the fact that I find this awkward already suggests I'm not sure if it's a good idea to do tomorrow. Is it weird to hug without a kiss on the cheek?

Or I could give just a handshake but I find this a bit formal. I don't find it as weird doing it to the guys but for some reason I find a handshake to girls a bit odd too.

I know I'm overthinking This but what do you think? I'm not particularly close to my colleagues. I chat to them a bit but I'd never meet up with them outside of work. At the end of work today I'm just going home (not going to the pub or anything social like that with them)

Scroll to see replies

Anyone who's on TSR at this time.. could you help seeing as tomorrow 5pm is looming! Thanks
Reply 2
How well do you know them? A hug isn't harmful but might be a bit weird if you've never spoken to them before. Hug the ones you know the most, then just a simple bye to the others.
Original post by dylantombides
I'm 22 and work at an office job as an intern. It's my last day tomorrow in the office and I don't know how to physically say bye to my colleagues. They are all fairly young and mixture of guys and girls.

I've always felt awkward kissing girls on the cheek (family, friends etc). So the fact that I find this awkward already suggests I'm not sure if it's a good idea to do tomorrow. Is it weird to hug without a kiss on the cheek?

Or I could give just a handshake but I find this a bit formal. I don't find it as weird doing it to the guys but for some reason I find a handshake to girls a bit odd too.

I know I'm overthinking This but what do you think? I'm not particularly close to my colleagues. I chat to them a bit but I'd never meet up with them outside of work. At the end of work today I'm just going home (not going to the pub or anything social like that with them)

a simple handshake is fine
Original post by UWS
How well do you know them? A hug isn't harmful but might be a bit weird if you've never spoken to them before. Hug the ones you know the most, then just a simple bye to the others.

Well they are my colleagues so we all sit around each other and I speak to them a little each day but it's never free flowing conversation and I don't know them that well. I'm fairly introverted and like to just get on with my work. They are the same to be honest - it's quite a peaceful working environment as everyone focuses on their work.
Reply 5

Say something cool. Then mic drop and walk out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Grab em by the pussy n nob

Posted from TSR Mobile
[video="youtube;m6yhsrHXAko"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6yhsrHXAko[/video]Quick! practice this tonight.
Serious answers please
Cup their balls! Guys love that
In all seriousness, just a simple bye or a handshake will more than suffice. :smile: You could bring in something nice to say bye with in the morning, like a box of doughnuts or some sweets, which would be a lovely gesture!

Don't overthink it too much, it'll be fine!
Reply 11
I got a wee kiss on the cheek when I left my previous job, she was quite cute too but she had bad teeth. So was feeling a bit mixed about that one.
Original post by Paracosm
In all seriousness, just a simple bye or a handshake will more than suffice. :smile: You could bring in something nice to say bye with in the morning, like a box of doughnuts or some sweets, which would be a lovely gesture!

Don't overthink it too much, it'll be fine!

Thanks I was going do give posh chocolate individually to my managers and then heroes/celebrations for all my colleagues to share
Thanks I was going do give posh chocolate individually to my managers and then heroes/celebrations for all my colleagues to share

Very sweet idea, that'd be perfect - firm handshake to your managers and hugs to those you know best, then wave to everyone else on your way out. Mission success. :smile:
Given your relationship with your colleagues, I would just say a handshake. I hug my co-workers, but that's because we tend to go out for drinks after work sometimes and because we like to keep the conversation flowing on the work floor.
When I left my last job I just gave handshakes and hugged people who I was a bit more friendly with. :smile:
Original post by Abramovic
Given your relationship with your colleagues, I would just say a handshake. I hug my co-workers, but that's because we tend to go out for drinks after work sometimes and because we like to keep the conversation flowing on the work floor.

Original post by Fermion.
When I left my last job I just gave handshakes and hugged people who I was a bit more friendly with. :smile:

Yawn!

It needs to be a little bit more personal! Time people show each other a little more lovin!
Original post by The_Mediocre_One
Yawn!

It needs to be a little bit more personal! Time people show each other a little more lovin!

Haha yeh I should've snogged a few of the good looking ones :wink:
Original post by Fermion.
Haha yeh I should've snogged a few of the good looking ones :wink:

Go on gal!!

That would have spiced things right up!
Original post by The_Mediocre_One
Go on gal!!

That would have spiced things right up!

I know eh babes, I'm not leaving my current job anytime soon but when I do i'll probs get right in there :u:

Quick Reply

Latest