The Student Room Group

s1 conditional prob. q

guys here in part C .. i know its a conditional probability but how do we find the numerator?? (the intersection)
vvv.PNG
Original post by pondsteps
guys here in part C .. i know its a conditional probability but how do we find the numerator?? (the intersection)

Well what scenarios/combinations result in the die being rolled twice and the final score being three?
Original post by ghostwalker
Well what scenarios/combinations result in the die being rolled twice and the final score being three?

P(T=3) intersection die rolled twice / P die rolled twice

i mean how do i find the intersection??
P(T=3) intersection die rolled twice / P die rolled twice

i mean how do i find the intersection??

That is what my question was addressing. You need to look at the possible scenarios.

e.g if first roll is 3, then it's not rolled twice, so that's not part of the event.

IF first roll is 2, then the second roll must be ?

Etc.
That is what my question was addressing. You need to look at the possible scenarios.

e.g if first roll is 3, then it's not rolled twice, so that's not part of the event.

IF first roll is 2, then the second roll must be ?

Etc.

ohhhh ok got it... here in the last question ... im just stuck on how to find the intersection between B and C
4.PNG
ohhhh ok got it... here in the last question ... im just stuck on how to find the intersection between B and C

Given P(C' n B') = 0.3

What's the complementary event, and you should be able to work out P(BnC) from that with the other information given.
Given P(C' n B':wink: = 0.3

What's the complementary event, and you should be able to work out P(BnC) from that with the other information given.

how does that help us find the intersection?? so we do P(B u C)' = P(B)' + P(C)' - P(BnC)'??? is that how it works or not.... i didnt know how to deal with the prime
(edited 6 years ago)
how does that help us find the intersection?? so we do P(B u C)' = P(B)' + P(C)' - P(BnC)'??? is that how it works or not.... i didnt know how to deal with the prime

(B' n C') = (B u C)'

They are not complementary events, they are the same event.

The complementary event is B u C

And P(B u C) = 1-0.3 = 0.7

Now do the same with that.
(B' n C':wink: = (B u C)'

They are not complementary events, they are the same event.

The complementary event is B u C

And P(B u C) = 1-0.3 = 0.7

Now do the same with that.

what do u mean by complemntary events???? is the rule i write out correct or wrong???
what do u mean by complemntary events???? is the rule i write out correct or wrong???

You should know what complementary events are - check your textbook.

What you wrote is incorrect, even the notation.

P(B u C)' should be P( (B u C)' )

Quick Reply

Latest