The Student Room Group

Worried about mathematics at oxbridge

Hello so i just did my F1 exam and im quite worried. Im planning to apply to oxbridge mathematics and I'm onto 3/9 of my exam this summer (year 12)

incase you want a look IG;
Maths edexcel- 95%
further pure maths edexcel - 96%
Additional maths - 93%
Physics - 94%
Chem - 97%
bio - 96%
Ict - 90%
art - 92%
ESL- 81%
EFL-75%
Econ- 80%

(8A*,2A,1B)

For my maths alevel;
I scored ;
C12 : 195/200~ 98%
C34: 196/200 ~ 98%
M1: 100/100 ~ 100%

In the summer I have F1, M2 and S1 to sit
I think I have scored
F1: 92/100 approx as i think i got 70/75 in the paper.

Should I be worried about this drop in grade. I'm very depressed and mad about myself that i made quite a lot of silly mistakes (5 marks worth)

Do i still even have a chance of getting into oxbridge T_T? cuz i heard it requires 94-96% av.

*I have prepared my ps and projects and have admission tests ready*

But if i get a bad score here then i might not even get an offer and be able to sit the test.
Original post by mewband12
Hello so i just did my F1 exam and im quite worried. Im planning to apply to oxbridge mathematics and I'm onto 3/9 of my exam this summer (year 12)

incase you want a look IG;
Maths edexcel- 95%
further pure maths edexcel - 96%
Additional maths - 93%
Physics - 94%
Chem - 97%
bio - 96%
Ict - 90%
art - 92%
ESL- 81%
EFL-75%
Econ- 80%

(8A*,2A,1B)

For my maths alevel;
I scored ;
C12 : 195/200~ 98%
C34: 196/200 ~ 98%
M1: 100/100 ~ 100%

In the summer I have F1, M2 and S1 to sit
I think I have scored
F1: 92/100 approx as i think i got 70/75 in the paper.

Should I be worried about this drop in grade. I'm very depressed and mad about myself that i made quite a lot of silly mistakes (5 marks worth)

Do i still even have a chance of getting into oxbridge T_T? cuz i heard it requires 94-96% av.

*I have prepared my ps and projects and have admission tests ready*

But if i get a bad score here then i might not even get an offer and be able to sit the test.

You are clearly very clever but I have to say that Oxbridge is not the be all and end all. There are other universities out there. My daughter applied to Oxford and failed to get in to do maths. She was accepted into UCL and loved it. She then applied to do a masters at both Oxford and Cambridge and was accepted for both but turned them down - she will never be unemployed because she has a maths degree not because of Oxbridge. Yeah they are universities people have heard of but they are not necessarily the best and the pressure students are put under can be immense - look the the pressure you are putting yourself under now.
Reply 2

I wouldn't worry about a small drop of marks if that isn't particularly symptomatic of anything - so if you're generally finding further maths fine and had a bad day, then recognize it as such.

Cambridge ask for UMS marks, Oxford don't, but both prioritize their tests over module marks. So the next question is how will you find the MAT and/or STEP?

The previous poster is right not to stress yourself - at the same time, if done with the right spirit, most strong maths students enjoy such questions for the extension they provide over the routine of A-level questions.
Reply 3
Original post by RichE
I wouldn't worry about a small drop of marks if that isn't particularly symptomatic of anything - so if you're generally finding further maths fine and had a bad day, then recognize it as such.

Cambridge ask for UMS marks, Oxford don't, but both prioritize their tests over module marks. So the next question is how will you find the MAT and/or STEP?

The previous poster is right not to stress yourself - at the same time, if done with the right spirit, most strong maths students enjoy such questions for the extension they provide over the routine of A-level questions.

Yeah I'll pretend its a bad day. I find F1 pretty straight forward, but I just forgot to do a question in the exam TT. I'm finding step question extremely intriguing and fun I can feel the depth and parts where Alevel lacks. About how will I do? Well right now i'm just practicing step I and Step II and I generally score around 10-15/20 per question to be strict, but I'm still just practicing. At the same time I'm scared about the high Step 2 and step 3 offer of around 15/20 average per ques, but at the same time feel the thrill of being challenged. Also this is a question I will ask after all exams, but do you think it's easier to get into oxford than cambridge mathematics. I feel that I don't mind either and would like to get into one because of the tutorial system, so, would it be safer to put oxford?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by squeakysquirrel
You are clearly very clever but I have to say that Oxbridge is not the be all and end all. There are other universities out there. My daughter applied to Oxford and failed to get in to do maths. She was accepted into UCL and loved it. She then applied to do a masters at both Oxford and Cambridge and was accepted for both but turned them down - she will never be unemployed because she has a maths degree not because of Oxbridge. Yeah they are universities people have heard of but they are not necessarily the best and the pressure students are put under can be immense - look the the pressure you are putting yourself under now.

I guess I'm putting quite a bit of pressure on myself, but I always thought to myself putting pressure on myself would mean I would get benefited in the long run and since I only live once, I want to give it my all for the university that I've dreamt of to get into a university with lecturer (which teaches his/her own theory), have tutorial system sit on the same table as young mathematicians with the same talent as I do. Other universities might be as good, but at the very least I would love to experience the tutorial system once in my life.
Reply 5
do you think it's easier to get into oxford than cambridge mathematics. I feel that I don't mind either and would like to get into one because of the tutorial system, so, would it be safer to put oxford?

Have you been to an open day at either? There's still time. I think that would be sensible.

Re the courses the Cambridge first year has a more applied/physics feel than Oxford's but really they're more alike than different.

I don't think ultimately it's easier to get into one than the other. More Cambridge offers are made and are more work to make. From that point of view an Oxford offer is safer, but fewer are given.

I really would try to see the cities, departments and colleges.
Reply 6
Original post by RichE
Have you been to an open day at either? There's still time. I think that would be sensible.

Re the courses the Cambridge first year has a more applied/physics feel than Oxford's but really they're more alike than different.

I don't think ultimately it's easier to get into one than the other. More Cambridge offers are made and are more work to make. From that point of view an Oxford offer is safer, but fewer are given.

I really would try to see the cities, departments and colleges.

Omg I have never considered open days before I just figured its what I need. However, I'm just worried about having a flight at 6-7 July as my summer school course is;

22july + at oxford and imperial (4 weeks)

So it might be difficult to get to open days If i have to fly to England twice. Do you have an alternative suggestion? (or is summer course enough, I could look through the cities meanwhile).
Reply 7
Omg I have never considered open days before I just figured its what I need. However, I'm just worried about having a flight at 6-7 July as my summer school course is;

22july + at oxford and imperial (4 weeks)

So it might be difficult to get to open days If i have to fly to England twice. Do you have an alternative suggestion? (or is summer course enough, I could look through the cities meanwhile).

I work in the Oxford maths department and will be around in the summer as will the admissions co-ordinator/schools liaison officer, so there will be people to speak to, show you the dept and answer your questions. I imagine there will be similar people at Imperial to ask. Should you have a free day then Cambridge is an easy day out from London (and manageable from Oxford).
Reply 8
Original post by RichE
I work in the Oxford maths department and will be around in the summer as will the admissions co-ordinator/schools liaison officer, so there will be people to speak to, show you the dept and answer your questions. I imagine there will be similar people at Imperial to ask. Should you have a free day then Cambridge is an easy day out from London (and manageable from Oxford).

Alright I'll do that thanks! Just curious do I just be there if I want to visit Cambridge. Do I have to talk to anyone beforehand? (Oxford is kinda sorted as I will go to summer school there so I can ask around)
(edited 6 years ago)
I guess I'm putting quite a bit of pressure on myself, but I always thought to myself putting pressure on myself would mean I would get benefited in the long run and since I only live once, I want to give it my all for the university that I've dreamt of to get into a university with lecturer (which teaches his/her own theory), have tutorial system sit on the same table as young mathematicians with the same talent as I do. Other universities might be as good, but at the very least I would love to experience the tutorial system once in my life.

You get tutorials at other universities too you know. Look a maths degree is a passport to success no matter which university you go to.
Reply 10
Original post by squeakysquirrel
You get tutorials at other universities too you know. Look a maths degree is a passport to success no matter which university you go to.

They tend not to be quite the same size (e.g. paired) small-group teaching.
Reply 11
Alright I'll do that thanks! Just curious do I just be there if I want to visit Cambridge. Do I have to talk to anyone beforehand? (Oxford is kinda sorted as I will go to summer school there so I can ask around)

If there was a day you could visit Cambridge, then you might be able to liaise with someone in their department (or in some college) to meet with you on the day you plan to visit. Likewise you would need to contact Oxford and Imperial maths depts to arrange a meeting.

Quick Reply

Latest